Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,141

1 members and 2,140 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

Question Coconut Fiber for Ball Python

Okay, so when i did my research before my ball python i thought COCO Fiber block was the best. But i come to realize it stays wet ! my enclosure is so moist . i didn't really realize because people insist on Humidity .

BUT i think its too humid. The fibers over the heat pad will have a "DEW" on them . and the glass gets steamy.

Do i need to tone down the moisture? and How. Do i need to change frm CocoFiber Block?

also i live in san francisco so its so moist . the Youtubers i get the best info frm tend to live is different areas so NOBODY really talks TOO MUCH MOIUSTURE, only how to get it moist WHICH I DNT NEED ?

advice please

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: Coconut Fiber for Ball Python

Empty out half or so of the damp bedding and replace with dry bedding.

I also live in a humid place, Mississippi. I use aspen and basically only need to mist for added humidity during sheds.

Trial and error is how most of us dial things in according to our own individual animal’s needs and our local environmental conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Aya (09-24-2020),Craiga 01453 (09-24-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Based on your description, it sounds like humidity is too high. What does your hygrometer read?

The Coco blox need to be wet and then rung out and dried. Also, how deep is the substrate?

BPs are not a species that require high humidity. I keep my BPs humidity in the 50-60% range and bump it up during shed.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Aya (09-24-2020)

Thanks

Lightbulb Re: Coconut Fiber for Ball Python

i haven't gotten one, i only have a thermostat. Its a whole block so its about 2 inch thick. Most of my thumb can bury.

BUT thats totally the problem , i didnt dry it before placing it in there because the directions didnt say. i only had him for 2weeks so this was my first Go-Round. Im abouta to make more block now and let it dry out.

Also i when i get paid ill buy hydrometer. Thank you both.
    Last edited by Aya; 09-24-2020 at 01:45 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aya View Post
    i haven't gotten one, i only have a thermostat. Its a whole block so its about 2 inch thick. Most of my thumb can bury.

BUT thats totally the problem , i didnt dry it before placing it in there because the directions didnt say. i only had him for 2weeks so this was my first Go-Round. Im abouta to make more block now and let it dry out.

Also i when i get paid ill buy hydrometer. Thank you both.
    Are you sure youre not confusing thermoSTAT and thermoMETER?

Just as a learning experience, this is why it's so important to have all equipment bought, set up, running and temps and humidity dialed in before bringing the animal home.

And also, I understand being on a budget, but a hygrometer is only about $10 for a decent digital thermometer/hygrometer.

Also, it's VERY important to have some money set aside for emergencies like vet visits, equipment failures, etc... Animals get sick and injured, and rely on us to provide medical care if needed.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 09-24-2020 at 01:55 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (09-24-2020)

Thanks

no its a thermostat, im not confused. its used to maintain the heat pads temp.

Also, many times you research, and research and research but most information doesnt really make since untill you experienced it.

This is my first time have or being around a ball python. so yeaa i have questions. but i am trying . Its better to ask than be scared of advice.

i did have everything i THOUGHT i needed.

i foudn in this place, things sound better when you say you SHOULD instead of you SHOULD'VE because thats why ppL are here, to find out what they SHOULD do not what they already did wrong. Thank you for advice tho

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aya View Post
    no its a thermostat, im not confused. its used to maintain the heat pads temp.

Also, many times you research, and research and research but most information doesnt really make since untill you experienced it.

This is my first time have or being around a ball python. so yeaa i have questions. but i am trying . Its better to ask than be scared of advice.

i did have everything i THOUGHT i needed.

i foudn in this place, things sound better when you say you SHOULD instead of you SHOULD'VE because thats why ppL are here, to find out what they SHOULD do not what they already did wrong. Thank you for advice tho
    Just trying to be helpful. And how is anybody supposed to learn if you don't inform them of mistakes???? We can either continue to make the same mistakes or learn from them.

You're absolutely right to ask questions, but without answers what's the point?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (09-24-2020)

Thanks

ur right, i never knew. Ill get one (hydrometer) and i drying a batch of Coco fiber now.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Aya For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-24-2020)