Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,820

1 members and 2,819 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Pac man frog not eating

I am new to pac mans and have some questions, my pac man frog seem to have very bad aims, he is only 2 inches. I use tongs to feed him, he try to grab it, but he can’t get it, after a couple attempts, he refuse to eat anymore. How do you guy feed your baby pac mans? I am keeping him on coconut fiber, should I use paper towel instead? I tried to feed him outside his enclosure but he won’t eat that way and he seems stressed when I do that.

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: Pac man frog not eating

This is just my experience:
    Pac man frogs accuracy and feeding response seem to increase with their hunger and overall well-being.
    My methods are not generally approved, but, I have had success keeping a colony of several individuals for years now with the following:

-Damp Paper towels (changed daily-*even if clean* for froglet-weekly for adult-or as needed on daily basis)
    -Spring water, or High quality well water--no tap water--no treated tap water--no filtered water
    -Ambient Temp @78F in entire enclosure-no hot spots-no temperature variation-24/7/365
    -Snug enclosure
    -Snug hide with wide open entrance for easy entrance/exit/feeding ambush
    -I feed only with tongs-I do not leave live food in the enclosure
    -I don't feed rodents unless they have been frozen for several weeks in advance to kill off potential parasites
    -I try to feed newly moulted Dubia roaches as they seem easier for the frogs to swallow/digest
    -I offer food twice/week-if three strikes/three misses-no food for them until next time

I don't add vitamins, but, I do use UVB light. I know UVB is technically not required, however, several frogs I started at the same time on UVB *seemed* to have an increased feeding response and increased growth rate beyond those that were not exposed-everyone gets UVB now.

Note: I've found newly acquired Pac Man frogs below a certain size/age can suffer from 'failure to thrive'. In this event I am out of luck no matter what I do. Hybrid frogs (like Fantasy frogs) seem more prone to this issue. I think it is best to acquire a frog that is well established. You should get a good sense if your frog isn't going to 'make it' in the first year if it remains small and you notice very little growth regardless of its eating habits.

Anyhow! Best of luck!
    Last edited by Lord Sorril; 09-25-2020 at 09:59 AM.
    *.* TNTC