Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,824

0 members and 2,824 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Escape snake

Thanks

Escape snake

Not sure if this is normal or not but my BP have been glass climbing, she even escaped 5 time, luckily she is unusually find in a couple minutes. I keep her in a 120 gallon,papar towel as bedding, some hide and some decor, the tank does look very natural, could that be why? She only glass climb at night. The temp are in the 75 to 80 range and humidity is in around 50. She does hide during the day. She can’t escape anymore, I put some heavy books over the mesh lid. She does still glass climb.why is she during this? Is this normal?

Thanks

Re: Escape snake

Your BP is most likely trying to escape to find heat. A good rule of thumb is 78-80° on the cool side of the tank and 88-90° on the hot side, with a gradient in between. Ambient temps should be about 78-80° throughout the tank as well.

50% is an okay minimum humidity, but I personally feel a lot more comfortable keeping my BP at a regular 55-60% when not in shed.

The tank you're keeping her in could also be a touch too large, so make sure she has enough hides (at least 2) and decor to fill up the space cozily. A properly sized enclosure should at least have enough room for a BP to fully stretch out, but not be so open as to leave her feeling vulnerable and unsafe.

Is your BP eating? Another good indicator of suboptimal husbandry is going off feed.

I'd say, for now, adjust her temps and maybe bump humidity, then continue to observe her responses. The excessive roaming/escaping should stop once her husbandry is all good.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to threadgoode For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (09-24-2020),Bogertophis (09-24-2020),Caitlin (09-24-2020),Craiga 01453 (09-24-2020),Zincubus (09-25-2020)

Thanks

75 to 80 is the ambient temperature, her hot spot is at 90. She does eat about every two week. She has three hides. Every thing seems normal beside the glass climbing

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ooo View Post
    75 to 80 is the ambient temperature, her hot spot is at 90. She does eat about every two week. She has three hides. Every thing seems normal beside the glass climbing
    Sounds like you just need to put loads of branches and fake foliage in ASAP .

They are nocturnal and like exploring ( and climbing ) in the evenings.

Are you by any chance using something like this to test temps/hygrometer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Sounds like you just need to put loads of branches and fake foliage in ASAP .

They are nocturnal and like exploring ( and climbing ) in the evenings.

Are you by any chance using something like this to test temps/hygrometer?

no, i use digital ones, zoo med hydrometre and themeter compo,i will put a lot more braches, but if i do, when she poops its going to be very messy. should i change the substrate?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ooo View Post
    no, i use digital ones, zoo med hydrometre and themeter compo,i will put a lot more braches, but if i do, when she poops its going to be very messy. should i change the substrate?
    I use it orchid bark / reptibark as substrate .. it’s easy to ‘spit’ clean as are branches ..