Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,861

1 members and 2,860 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Help With New Ball Python ASAP PLEASE

So I have a juvenile ball python I got from a reputable breeder that I trust. She was born this year, and is about a foot or so. Her name is Delilah. She is friendly when she wants to be, and I've had her 4 weeks now, so a month, and she is having some issues.

For one, she has yet to poop or urate. I have been checking the bedding constantly. I've given her 4 meals now, and no poop or urates. She doesn't appear swollen or anything, and I've given her 3 baths now with no success. She doesn't act uncomfortable. She also just had her first shed, sort of. She is flaking in pieces and after her baths I've used Repti Shedding Aid from Zoo Med and a qtip to get pieces of the skin off but shes all flaky and she won't sit still long enough for me to get the shed off. It's all flaked around her eyes and nose. She's been flaky for 4 days now. She's a great eater, on fuzzies as of right now. Any ideas?

Her setup is a 40 gallon with cypress mulch bedding, hides, sticks, and a large water dish that she can totally soak in but hasn't. She has a 60 watt bulb that we leave on with a night setting, and 2 heat matts, one is 17 watts and the other is 3 watts. Her temps and humidity are fine.

She's a normal morph and a female.

What should I do?

Thanks
    What bedding are you using? What are her temps and humidity at? You say that they are fine but if she isn't shedding, that's more than likely a humidity issue. Also, are you using a thermoSTAT (not to be confused with a thermometer) to control your heat matts?

Stop giving her baths and stop trying to remove the flaky pieces- that is just going to stress her out. It's typically not recommended to handle a new snake until they have successfully eaten 3-4 consecutive meals.
    Winry-Pastel Vanilla BP

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kira For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-21-2020),curledallup (09-21-2020),GoingPostal (09-21-2020)

Thanks

Re: Help With New Ball Python ASAP PLEASE

I'm using cypress mulch bedding. Her basking spot temp is 90F with 82F ambient. The humidty is 70%. Yes I have a thermostat on the heat matts

Thanks for such a quick reply!

Thanks
    If you don't mind me asking, what type of gauge are you using for checking your humidity? Sometimes the ones sold at pet stores aren't very reliable unfortunately. I use a digital AcuRite for mine.

You could also make a humid hide with some damp sphagnum moss and see if that helps. Thanks for answering my questions!
    Winry-Pastel Vanilla BP

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kira For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-21-2020)

Thanks

I'm just using a temperature/humidity combo from Petsmart, but I have a Zoo Med thermometer as well, should I get a specific humidity checker on its own?

I will try the spagnum moss hide idea, I have some moss left over from my frog's bioactive.

Should I be concerned about the no pooping or urates thing, or am I just overthinking?

Thanks
    Those temp/humidity gauges from Petsmart are notorious for being inaccurate so I HIGHLY recommend that you switch those out for a digital Acurite- it will tell you both the temp and humidity. You can get one on amazon for 8-12 bucks or so. You humidity might be much lower than you think due to the Petsmart combo. For now you can lightly mist the enclosure with water and prepare a humid hide.

She might be "saving" it up for her shed. I've had my female bp since for over 3 years and almost every single time she sheds, its full of poop and urates.

Lastly, I recommend weighing your bp and following this feeding guide :

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ing-Guidelines
    Winry-Pastel Vanilla BP

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kira For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-21-2020),curledallup (09-21-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    If youre talking fuzzy mice they are WAY too small.

If that's the case, your snake isn't peeing or pooping because 100% of the food is being used to sustain growth. So, there's nothing left to get rid of.

I agree to stop with the baths as well, they're likely causing more stress than good.
    And unfortunately, that shed ease stuff is useless. A good shed starts with proper husbandry.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-22-2020),curledallup (09-21-2020),GoingPostal (09-21-2020),jmcrook (09-21-2020),Kira (09-21-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by curledallup View Post
    I'm just using a temperature/humidity combo from Petsmart, but I have a Zoo Med thermometer as well, should I get a specific humidity checker on its own?

I will try the spagnum moss hide idea, I have some moss left over from my frog's bioactive.

Should I be concerned about the no pooping or urates thing, or am I just overthinking?
    One of these ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

One of these thermometer hydro combos

Thanks

I weighed her and she is 4oz, or 113ish grams. According to the chart this means i should be feeding her small mice right? If so, I will get some right away.

I'm going shopping tomorrow and will pick up the mice, some more sphagnum moss, and a hydrometer. Is there anything else I should pick up?

I fed her on Saturday with a fuzzie, but since this was (as i now know), too small of a meal, should I offer the small mouse now or this coming Saturday? Or can I feed her another fuzzie to hold her over? Basically what I mean is should I feed the larger meal right away, or wait until her normal feed day?

I once heard a rule that the prey size should be about the size of the snakes head, and the fuzzies are her head size, which is why I assumed they were the right size meal for her. Is this rule true? If so, won't a small mouse be too big for her to swallow?

Sorry for all this confusion, and thank you so much to everyone for all this help, this is great community and I am thankful for all the answers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast