Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,139

2 members and 3,137 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

BI acting strange

I don't really know what the deal is.

My 4yr old boa wanted nothing to do with me. I took him out and he coiled around the leg of my desk so hard that it took me almost 30 minutes to get him off. He looked spooked when I took him out.

I guess my question is- have any of you noticed your snakes having off-days where they just don't particularly feel comfortable outside their enclosure? And is it because it's night-time that he was so rowdy? I'm not really sure.
    Maybe he's hungry?

I'm afraid to take him out tomorrow. It'd be great to hear everyone's experiences.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: BI acting strange

How long have you had him?

How big is he/how much does he weigh?

How often and what are you feeding (type of prey and live or F/T)? Where do you feed? In tank or in a separate enclosure?

What are tank parameters? Size, type, temps, humidity, etc.

Is he in shed?

Has anything changed environmentally lately? New animals in the house, new cage location, etc?

Do you feed at night? Do you usually handle at night? Is he hook trained or tap trained, etc?

How close are you to the fires and smoke and have you had swings in weather (storms, extremes, etc.)?

To answer your question as best I can now. Yes, they can have bad days. I always feed my boas at night and usually do not handle at night because of food drive. Either of those could explain why he seemed "spooked."

Additionally, environmental factors can "spook" them. We had a bad storm come through (I live in Connecticut USA) a few months ago. All the snakes were on edge. I didn't even try to handle the corn snakes. Everyone was "spooked." They can sense sudden and drastic changes in barometric temperature even if temps and humidity are constant in their tanks.

I've had a BP go nuts and strike at me because a new dog started marking on his enclosure stand. Predator Fear.

I have all my larger constrictors hook trained. They are alerted to my presence by a hook and not my hand and I can generally get a read on them at that time. All snakes are individuals and you can usually tell if a snake doesn't want to be dealt with. Boas are very vocal with hisses when they want you to know they do not like something. My Carpet Python is the same. When I first touch him with the hook and pick him up he often likes to gently hiss, but it's all bluff with him.

If you want info on hook training, just ask.

Finally, if it took that long to get him off your desk, you might be trying the wrong way. Always uncoil constrictors tail first. Unwrap the tip of the tail gently and from the tail up and he should come off in less than 30 minutes for sure. If it was because you were scared, if he wasn't hissing or aggressive in anyway, but just seemed off, you are probably okay. Boas are usually big loves once out of the tank and knowing no food is coming.

I don't think anyone here can tell you from what you said or what you will say if you are 100% not going to get bitten. Part of keeping larger snakes is quantifying that risk. My heart races every time I feed my bigger snakes (3 boas specifically, but also a Carpet Python, and an adult BP who can have a very aggressive food response). However, I take precautions like hook training, feeding at night, handling during the day mostly, and learning my individual snakes and knowing as best I can when they might be off and take proper precautions.

If your boa is getting larger and scaring you, only you can assess that "risk."

If you can, answer the questions above and maybe there's something we can figure out.
    Last edited by dakski; 09-21-2020 at 05:13 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-21-2020)

Thanks

I got him a couple days ago, on the seventeenth. I held him the other day, let him explore my room.

I haven't got a gram scale that is even big enough for him, but I know for a fact he is between 4.25ft-4.5ft in length.

Last meal he ate was last Thursday, and he eats F/T medium rats. Or at least, that is what the person whom I bought him from told me.

I've never handled him at night.

And no, he is not in shed.

He's in a 4x2x2 tub, hot side around 85-88 and the cool side is 79-80. temps fall to about 75-76 at night and his humidity is a steady 65-67%

However, now that you mention it, my dog was scratching at the tub he is in earlier, and looking back I think her presence really freaked him out. I normally do not have her in the room but she snuck passed me and I caught her sniffing around and on top of his tub. Maybe it was scaring him. When I took him out with her standing next to me, his head started to dart everywhere and instead of securing himself on my forearm like what he normally does, like he was trying to escape my grasp. I'm pretty certain it was the dog now.

He has never hissed, or struck, but it's pretty easy for me to tell when he is stressed out despite me owning him for only 4 days

This is my first boa constrictor. It's a lot different working with a snake that is so strong compared to most colubrids and ball pythons I've owned. He has to get used to me, and I have to get used to him.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to olivv For This Useful Post:

dakski (09-21-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

BI acting strange

I have two adult male BI’s. I find many days that they don’t want to come out and it is a real battle. Unless I just HAVE TO clean the cage right then, I blow it off till later.

Sometimes I leave the door open and walk away. When I come back in 5 minutes they may just rest their head on the litter dam as if they are just getting fresh air, and they still don’t want to come out. Then sometimes I can leave the door open a long time and they don’t even budge.

I don’t know if they just want to sleep or what. It’s no big deal for me. I don’t work so I just work around their schedule instead of mine.

Butch. vvvvv

Punch ^^^^^
    Last edited by Reinz; 09-21-2020 at 05:39 AM.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

dakski (09-21-2020),olivv (09-21-2020)

Thanks

The dog could definitely have spooked him. Also, I would let him settle in for another 2 weeks before you really start handling him. Let him get settled and get at least another meal in him. As you said, he has to get to know you and you him, but if he's spooked just about a new place and settling in, that might make that more difficult.

I would still recommend hook training, or something similar. I'll put the link to the thread I started on hook training at the end of this post.

Boas are a great and rewarding species. There are plenty of boa people on here who can help you with your boa questions. Just ask. Oh, and yes, their strength is shocking if you are used to smaller snakes and less muscular snakes.

Keep us posted and good luck.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ead-with-Video

P.S. You don't need the night drop in temps.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-21-2020)

Thanks

Your information was very helpful by the way, thank you for that. I've come to the conclusion that being bit really wouldn't be that bad. Painful, but temporary and just an instinctual reaction to fear on the snakes behalf- I can't blame them. I'm twice their size and I can see how that could be threatening to animals that otherwise live in complete solitude.

He's a big love normally, or has been anyway. I think I'll pick up a snake hook and take your advice on that one. Do you feed yours at night, if not, when?

Also, when I'm unwrapping him I think I might be too gentle. I don't want to hurt him, he's just so incredibly strong.

Thanks

Ahh Reinz! Your boas are beautiful.

The 4x2x2 tub is actually a temporary home as my dad and I are building a 6x2x2 vision tank for him which I think he'll like much more.

I'll definitely let him settle in, and put something up to keep the dog away from him. Thanks again for the input, I was a little anxious about it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to olivv For This Useful Post:

Reinz (09-21-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by olivv View Post
    Your information was very helpful by the way, thank you for that. I've come to the conclusion that being bit really wouldn't be that bad. Painful, but temporary and just an instinctual reaction to fear on the snakes behalf- I can't blame them. I'm twice their size and I can see how that could be threatening to animals that otherwise live in complete solitude.

He's a big love normally, or has been anyway. I think I'll pick up a snake hook and take your advice on that one. Do you feed yours at night, if not, when?

Also, when I'm unwrapping him I think I might be too gentle. I don't want to hurt him, he's just so incredibly strong.
    See above on the hook training. You don't need a hook, just any long(ish) object you can be consistent with.

Very doubtful you hurt him! He will let you know if you are making him uncomfortable, but if you uncoil tail first and are firm but cautious and consistent, I do not think you will hurt him. You'd really have to try frankly. Just don't yank too hard below the vent on his tail. You want to uncoil it gently there and then you can uncoil there rest of his body.

Boa bites are subjective but rarely require any major intervention, even at size.

I do feed at night and handle during the day 95% of the time. This helps avoid confusion as does the hook training.

Bottom line a bite isn't good for anyone, snake included, but yes, there are many worse things. Wrestling with my little Shih Tzu usually creates much more pain for me than any snake bite I've gotten, or would get, but it's less scary .

You are welcome and keep the questions coming (if you have more).

Thanks

The only bite I've ever recieved was from my baby Florida Kingsnake, Alice

Boy is she fiesty. She thinks she is real big and strong but really she looks like an angry spaghetti noodle and it's hard not to laugh when she puffs up and hisses at me. Once she's out, she's usually fine but she's a baby and probably WC. Very defensive.

Bear on the other hand, a bite would probably hurt and it's definitely a little intimidating. I think I'll start feeding him at night. Should I feed him this Thursday, or next Thursday? Most of my adult snakes eat once every two weeks.

I'm hoping he'll grow some more too. He's pretty small for being 4.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    See above on the hook training. You don't need a hook, just any long(ish) object you can be consistent with.

Very doubtful you hurt him! He will let you know if you are making him uncomfortable, but if you uncoil tail first and are firm but cautious and consistent, I do not think you will hurt him. You'd really have to try frankly. Just don't yank too hard below the vent on his tail. You want to uncoil it gently there and then you can uncoil there rest of his body.

Boa bites are subjective but rarely require any major intervention, even at size.

I do feed at night and handle during the day 95% of the time. This helps avoid confusion as does the hook training.

Bottom line a bite isn't good for anyone, snake included, but yes, there are many worse things. Wrestling with my little Shih Tzu usually creates much more pain for me than any snake bite I've gotten, or would get, but it's less scary .

You are welcome and keep the questions coming (if you have more).

Ah yes, I didn't want to hurt his tail and vertebrae. My desk has a cupholder attached and a wire grate on the bottom to place books and he was completely entwined in it, which made it really difficult. I ended up putting a cup on the floor and he tried to put his head in the cup to explore and ended up on my carpet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast