Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,024

2 members and 3,022 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Exclamation Snake Wheezing Without RI and Bump on Nose

Hi, I've noticed my BP has been wheezing a lot and has a large, dry bump on her nose. I'm 100% sure the bump is from pushing and squeezing her nose in the edges of her rub so I've moved her into a different brand of rub to see if it will help.

She has no mucus around her nose or mouth, her tongue comes out fully and as it should and she doesn't need to open her mouth or anything to breathe so I'm almost certain it's not an RI. Her husbandry is good and has changed at all.

I'm just worried that the bump won't be go down and if it will cause any health issues? I'm mostly concerned about her wheezing because I can hear her from across the room. I'm wondering if it'll go away with some sheds or could turn into something more serious and I should take her to the vet. I have no issues taking her, however most places are stuff refusing to see animals unless it's a crisis due to coronavirus.

She's also not eaten in 5 weeks but this could be normal for her as tends to go on and off food every now and then.
    I've tried to attach pictures but I'm not sure if they've worked.

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Without seeing pix, it sounds like an abscess from pushing on her nose, & now it's impairing her breathing to where she makes noise. Snakes do not form liquid pus that can be drained off...it's solid & requires surgical removal in order to heal & restore her breathing. Such an abscess can continue to get bigger though, & when it does, it's a bigger deal to remove. They do not go away on their own..."if only". You should find a qualified, experienced herp-veterinarian & have her seen & treated. This site might help:

https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

When you make a vet appointment they should discuss how the appointment will be handled...different offices are doing different things...some have a parking lot drop-off for the animals so you do not need to come inside. Most should want you to wear a mask if you do come inside.

You should ALSO modify her living quarters to help prevent the pushing that likely caused this, as this can recur, & some snakes are very stubborn about pushing.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-17-2020 at 10:54 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (09-17-2020)