Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,856

2 members and 2,854 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Shedding Question

Hello again everyone!

Another newbie question. I completely missed the blue phase on my boy's first shed with me, and discovered today that he's in full shed. I see a lot of posts concerned about eye caps and stuck head shed, but my guy got everything off his head fine, i found it in his hide eye caps and all.

The issue is, that's all that came off was his head shed. He's still crawling around working on the rest of it. Now I know, that doesn't count as stuck shed, and odds are the rest will come off fine, but I was under the impression that it all came off in one piece. Am I overthinking something else as a new keeper, or is this something I should be concerned about? I've had some issues with humidity as some of you know, and just to put my mind at ease went ahead and ordered an animal plastics T10. In the meantime I'm misting away twice a day to keep humidity up, but it does drop down into the high 50s if I don't get to it first thing.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    High 50s is perfectly fine. Obviously bumping to about 70 during shed.

Your snake may still be working the rest off, let him do his thing. Ideally, yes it'll come off all in one piece, but not always.

The areas you want to focus on most are actually eye caps and tail tip. I always check the cloaca too. Eye caps you already know about. Tail tip is very important too. Head, not so much. Of course, you want the head clear too, but there aren't direct health concerns like tail tip and eye caps.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-16-2020),Hugsplox (09-16-2020)

Thanks

Re: Shedding Question

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    High 50s is perfectly fine. Obviously bumping to about 70 during shed.

Your snake may still be working the rest off, let him do his thing. Ideally, yes it'll come off all in one piece, but not always.

The areas you want to focus on most are actually eye caps and tail tip. I always check the cloaca too. Eye caps you already know about. Tail tip is very important too. Head, not so much. Of course, you want the head clear too, but there aren't direct health concerns like tail tip and eye caps.
    Thanks for talking me off a ledge again Craiga lol. I'll keep an eye on his tail, I'm familiar with tail tips from the few lizards I have so I'll give him some time to work the rest off then I'll inspect him once he's had some time to relax.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    Thanks for talking me off a ledge again Craiga lol. I'll keep an eye on his tail, I'm familiar with tail tips from the few lizards I have so I'll give him some time to work the rest off then I'll inspect him once he's had some time to relax.
    Happy to help!!

Sounds good! Don't be afraid to keep asking questions, we're here for ya!
    I do promise it gets easier though. Keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    The only thing about the head is that it's a common place to get stuck. Check the chin (lower jaw), that's a typical place that gets stuck, & lot's of fun to help with.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (09-16-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    The only thing about the head is that it's a common place to get stuck. Check the chin (lower jaw), that's a typical place that gets stuck, & lot's of fun to help with.
    Oh I know it. I've been dreading the first shed because I was sure my humidity was not where it needed to be and was worried I'd have issues. I was relieved to see it had all come off. Also kinda relieved that he ate last Friday too, I see a lot of folks say they go off food when shed time comes around but he ate like a champ.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-16-2020),Craiga 01453 (09-16-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Hello again everyone!

Another newbie question. I completely missed the blue phase on my boy's first shed with me, and discovered today that he's in full shed. I see a lot of posts concerned about eye caps and stuck head shed, but my guy got everything off his head fine, i found it in his hide eye caps and all.

The issue is, that's all that came off was his head shed. He's still crawling around working on the rest of it. Now I know, that doesn't count as stuck shed, and odds are the rest will come off fine, but I was under the impression that it all came off in one piece. Am I overthinking something else as a new keeper, or is this something I should be concerned about? I've had some issues with humidity as some of you know, and just to put my mind at ease went ahead and ordered an animal plastics T10. In the meantime I'm misting away twice a day to keep humidity up, but it does drop down into the high 50s if I don't get to it first thing.
    I’d just start spraying daily until all the skin has come off ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    I’d just start spraying daily until all the skin has come off ..

Yea that's what I'm doing. I actually spray twice a day regardless just to keep it up but I'm paying a little closer attention to it since he's in shed. He seems to be doing okay but hasn't started working the rest off yet.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (09-17-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Yea that's what I'm doing. I actually spray twice a day regardless just to keep it up but I'm paying a little closer attention to it since he's in shed. He seems to be doing okay but hasn't started working the rest off yet.
    Sounds good .. you will usually find the skin in a tightly rolled up mess under one of the hides ..

Thanks

I hate to bump my own thread, but I wanted to touch back on this with some of you folks that have been helping me with essentially everything lol.

So last Wednesday when I posted this, my BP was visibly in shed and had gotten all his head shed, eye caps and all, off but not the rest of his body. As of yesterday, he's gotten bits and pieces off, but the bulk of his body is still covered in shed. We're now on Monday, and I guess I'm just wondering how long I should let it go before I intervene and start soaking/doing the pillow case trick? Again, I apologize for semi-freaking out about these stuff, this is just his first shed with me and it does not appear to be going well. The humidity right now is sitting at 92 on the cool end, 57 on the warm end, but I just misted this morning so, those numbers aren't the typical.

I really thought I had done a good job keeping the humidity in at least the 60% range but apparently I hadn't. Any advice? Should I leave him alone for the week and just see how he does? The good news is even in shed Friday, he ate like a champ, that's 4 feedings in a row (knock on wood.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast