Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,767

0 members and 2,767 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: Best gun thermostat...

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    So meaning ... ‘nothing’ over 33C ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I apologize my conversion was a little off. Let me us F instead of C and then hopefully I can explain better. My hotspot, which is the UTH under the warm hide is set to 92f. I don't want anything in my enclosure hotter than say 94f which I think is closer to 35c?

My ambient temps are maintained with a CHE, and even though it's also on a thermostat I check it just to be safe to make sure it isn't maintaining ambient temps but creating some spot on a piece of decor that's like 100f or something crazy like that. Let me be really clear, these are just the temps I aim for, I am VERY new to keeping a BP and use these temps just to play it safe. I'm here to be educated though, so if I'm doing something wrong I'm 100% okay with you guys calling me out.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (09-17-2020)

Thanks

what thermostat do you use?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Newbiehelpme View Post
    what thermostat do you use?
    Currently I'm running Jump Start and Zoomed's thermostats. The only downside of both of these is that if they fail, they fail in the on position, which is why I do checks constantly just to ensure everything is working as intended. Once my new enclosure gets here I plan on swapping over to herpstats, but for now these are working well for me.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    I apologize my conversion was a little off. Let me us F instead of C and then hopefully I can explain better. My hotspot, which is the UTH under the warm hide is set to 92f. I don't want anything in my enclosure hotter than say 94f which I think is closer to 35c?

My ambient temps are maintained with a CHE, and even though it's also on a thermostat I check it just to be safe to make sure it isn't maintaining ambient temps but creating some spot on a piece of decor that's like 100f or something crazy like that. Let me be really clear, these are just the temps I aim for, I am VERY new to keeping a BP and use these temps just to play it safe. I'm here to be educated though, so if I'm doing something wrong I'm 100% okay with you guys calling me out.
    Sounds like you’ll be absolutely with such a great attitude !!

It was just the way you worded it ... as though you’d be happy for anything OVER 33C

“ I run a degree or two warmer in my warm hide, but really I'm looking at anything over say, 33C”

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (09-17-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Sounds like you’ll be absolutely with such a great attitude !!

It was just the way you worded it ... as though you’d be happy for anything OVER 33C

“ I run a degree or two warmer in my warm hide, but really I'm looking at anything over say, 33C”

Oh I see what you're saying! I apologize! Yea what I mean was I'm looking FOR anything over 33C so I can correct it. Sometimes I my fingers type faster than my brain is working haha

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

Best gun thermostat...

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    Oh I see what you're saying! I apologize! Yea what I mean was I'm looking FOR anything over 33C so I can correct it. Sometimes I my fingers type faster than my brain is working haha
    I’m just as bad if not worse !!

Last edited by Zincubus; 09-17-2020 at 01:43 PM.

Thanks
    Hiya. So I have my gun and am working out my next issue although am not sure if it's an issue that's going to happen anyway.
    So, I've tested temps a few times. First two times we're slightly warmer (testing within minutes of each other). Third test stated 31.7c great. After this, temp dropped to 30.9c and remained at 30.8/30.9c. I've turned stat up minutely and temp now reading 33c under bulb and 31.7c in hide. My main concern is the fact the temp is going up and down still and I'm not understanding how to get it to one temp and keep it there. Is it a case of the stat having a lowest temp and then turning the heat on more and vice verse for to hot?

Thanks
    Also if I find the heat under the bulb gets hotter than the rest of the hot spot... How do I control theat. I've seen somewhere else about having a heat high or something it was called.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Newbiehelpme View Post
    Hiya. So I have my gun and am working out my next issue although am not sure if it's an issue that's going to happen anyway.
    So, I've tested temps a few times. First two times we're slightly warmer (testing within minutes of each other). Third test stated 31.7c great. After this, temp dropped to 30.9c and remained at 30.8/30.9c. I've turned stat up minutely and temp now reading 33c under bulb and 31.7c in hide. My main concern is the fact the temp is going up and down still and I'm not understanding how to get it to one temp and keep it there. Is it a case of the stat having a lowest temp and then turning the heat on more and vice verse for to hot?
    Minor fluctuations are gonna happen especially with a CHE. If you want to really dial it in, a lot of people use proportional thermostats, like the ones from Spyder Robotics (who come highly recommend from other users here). Those types of thermostats will change out much power they're pushing to your heating elements depending on how much heat is needed to get back to your preset temperature.

Something like what I use, and what you're probably using, is a simple on/off thermostat. The issue I've noticed using those with a CHE, is it takes awhile for a CHE to warm up, and then by the time it gets hot enough to trigger your thermostat to shut off, the bulb itself still stays pretty hot for awhile after. That's probably, if I had to guess, why you're seeing the minor fluctuations.

You just have to remember that these guys come from a place where the temp varies depending on where they are. I think a degree or two either way, +/-, from where you want to be is fine. I've had to learn to trust my snake to move to where he needs to be to be comfortable.

Thanks
    That's exactly what's happening. Would you suggest changing my dimmer stat to pulse stat then?
    It's just frustrating and very stressful sd I do worry about him obviously. Thanks for everyone's help so far

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast