Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,013

1 members and 3,012 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: Best gun thermostat...

Quote Originally Posted by Newbiehelpme View Post
    That's exactly what's happening. Would you suggest changing my dimmer stat to pulse stat then?
    It's just frustrating and very stressful sd I do worry about him obviously. Thanks for everyone's help so far
    To be honest, I haven't upgraded yet. I have my CHE in a dimmable fixture, hooked to a thermostat just to keep it from overheating, but I have the dimmer turned down low enough that it basically runs 24-7 and I just played with it until I got the perfect temp, which is about 2 degrees cooler than what my stat is set to, so it never shuts it off. It took me about 2-3 days of playing with the dimmer, and I did this before I got my snake during my enclosure testing.

Now I have a Animal Plastics enclosure ordered, and once it ships I'll order a pulse stat for the RHP. Right now I'm just doing what's worked so far. I try to disclaim all my advice by saying I'm very new to ball pythons, so all my advice is based on my use of these products with reptiles that I have a lot more experience with. I can tell you that I've kept my leopard gecko healthy and happy with a simple on/off stat for his heating pad, and my BP's heating bad is on a on/off stat. I like to steer people away from spending more money on equipment if something cheaper is safe and works for you, but, you can't really put a price on peace of mind, which is why I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a AP enclosure. So I would say it's up to you, if you're financially able to pick one of those up go for it, but if you can probably dial it in with what you have if you need to wait.

Edit: Just to be clear too, and I thought of this after posting so forgive the edit. Dimmer and pulse, unless I'm mistaken, are both proportional thermostats. The dimmer is what I was referring to when I said it would reduce the power to your heating device to keep it at whatever temperature you set it to, while a pulse stat just turns it on and off very quickly to keep the temperature. Personally, I would rather have a dimming stat that would just turn the power down to my CHE. I think I've accomplished this myself with a dimming fixture and a cheap on/off stat, but the longevity of this set up may be an issue.
    Last edited by Hugsplox; 09-18-2020 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Adding additional info

Thanks
    Thanks. I've managed to stabilise the temp as you have said and have a period either in the evening or early morning when temps seem to be all over the place before corrscting themselves. Luckily they never go over 33.5c and never below 29c. Thanks for the great help

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123