Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 437

9 members and 428 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 03:30 AM.


» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 69,240
Threads: 243,689
Posts: 2,527,341
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Dia Berry
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-29-2020
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts

    Best gun thermostat...

    Hi guys n gals. Hope all is well.
    So after my last post I managed to sort some new exo terra thermostats which seemed to read all more or less barring half a c between them. Now it seems I'm having the same issue of them all telling me different temps. I know one or two of you have mentioned those heat gun things before and am wondering what the best one would be to go for.

  2. #2
    BPnet Lifer Zincubus's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-22-2011
    Posts
    6,132
    Thanks
    2,257
    Thanked 3,995 Times in 2,514 Posts

    Best gun thermostat...

    I’ve got three.. all different manufacturers, bought off different sellers on eBay about 3 years apart .

    All three were under £10 / 9 dollars each .

    All give almost identical readings so the cheap ones are great in my view .


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 09-16-2020 at 10:02 AM.




  3. #3
    Registered User Hugsplox's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-27-2020
    Location
    Georgia, U.S.
    Posts
    55
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 24 Times in 20 Posts

    Re: Best gun thermostat...

    This is the one I use. It's a little more expensive at $26 but it was recommended by several reptile keepers when I first got started with bearded dragons and leopard geckos.

    https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lase...%20to%20return

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-29-2020
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
    Thanks. Will have to order tomorrow eve!
    Also can I also ask.... When I'm taking the temp of hot end of viv, am I just shooting tbs laser into the hot end if aiming it at something. Also, when taking snake temp, should this be same temp as hot end of tank? Sorry.. This part of its all new to me!!!

  5. #5
    Registered User Hugsplox's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-27-2020
    Location
    Georgia, U.S.
    Posts
    55
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 24 Times in 20 Posts

    Re: Best gun thermostat...

    Quote Originally Posted by Newbiehelpme View Post
    Thanks. Will have to order tomorrow eve!
    Also can I also ask.... When I'm taking the temp of hot end of viv, am I just shooting tbs laser into the hot end if aiming it at something. Also, when taking snake temp, should this be same temp as hot end of tank? Sorry.. This part of its all new to me!!!
    So no, the snake won't be the same temp as the hot end, but I'm not familiar with what a snake's temp should be so I'll let more experienced keepers comment on that.

    As far as what you're aiming at, the infrared temp guns only measure surface temp, so I would recommend spot checking throughout your enclosure, but pay special attention to the inside of your warm hide. I also like to check underneath my CHE just to make sure I don't have a hot spot on a branch or something that my snake can get to. Even though everything is controlled by thermostats, I still like to double check.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-29-2020
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
    Great. So shoot it into the warm hide. In terms of the hot spots. I'm guessing you mean nothing over the 32c?

  7. #7
    BPnet Lifer Zincubus's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-22-2011
    Posts
    6,132
    Thanks
    2,257
    Thanked 3,995 Times in 2,514 Posts

    Re: Best gun thermostat...

    We could do with an electronics geek to offer some advice on these digital temp guns ..

    Our tech-guy at work was saying that a lot of the time these ‘gadgets’ are basically all the same ‘inside’ .. even made in the the same factories.

    Then the companies put them in their company ‘shell’ and charge what they want ..

    I’ve even seen some unscrupulous sellers online selling the exact same thing at 10 dollars / 100 dollars/ 150 dollars ..


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro




  8. #8
    Registered User Hugsplox's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-27-2020
    Location
    Georgia, U.S.
    Posts
    55
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 24 Times in 20 Posts

    Re: Best gun thermostat...

    Quote Originally Posted by Newbiehelpme View Post
    Great. So shoot it into the warm hide. In terms of the hot spots. I'm guessing you mean nothing over the 32c?
    Yea right around that, I run a degree or two warmer in my warm hide, but really I'm looking at anything over say, 33c

  9. #9
    BPnet Lifer Zincubus's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-22-2011
    Posts
    6,132
    Thanks
    2,257
    Thanked 3,995 Times in 2,514 Posts

    Re: Best gun thermostat...

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    Yea right around that, I run a degree or two warmer in my warm hide, but really I'm looking at anything over say, 33c
    So meaning ... ‘nothing’ over 33C ??


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro




  10. #10
    BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-09-2009
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    1,114
    Thanks
    2,705
    Thanked 998 Times in 513 Posts

    Re: Best gun thermostat...

    Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    We could do with an electronics geek to offer some advice on these digital temp guns ..

    Our tech-guy at work was saying that a lot of the time these ‘gadgets’ are basically all the same ‘inside’ .. even made in the the same factories.

    Then the companies put them in their company ‘shell’ and charge what they want ..

    I’ve even seen some unscrupulous sellers online selling the exact same thing at 10 dollars / 100 dollars/ 150 dollars ..


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yes that's most electronics these days, made in the same factory, same stuff, different company name slapped on the outside.
    2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    1.0 green iguana
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1