Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 832

1 members and 831 guests
Gio,
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Sliding glass doors - tempered or annealed?

So I'm in the final stages of my DIY PVC enclosures, it's almost time to order the glass. The glass panes will be ~ 24"x15" (1/4" thick). When consulting a glass manufacturer, given the support my track system would provide, they estimated annealed glass would be able to withstand ~ 25 lbs of pressure before breaking (and tempered glass ~ 4x that amount). I'm already set on definitely having glass over acrylic. They'll be used to house ball pythons.

ANNEALED
    Pros:
    Possible to modify (Could drill holes for handles instead of using stick on / clip on handles, could adjust if I change the setup of the enclosure)
    Significantly cheaper
    Cons:
    Less strength (easier to break)
    Breaks into sharp, irregular shards (Dangerous if it does break)

TEMPERED
    Pros:
    Stronger
    Breaks into tiny pieces (Less dangerous if it does break)
    Cons:
    Don't have the tools to modify (Would have to use stick on / clip on handles, couldn't adjust size if I change anything)
    Significantly more expensive.

Overall I'm leaning towards annealed. I've never had a good experience with clip on / stick on handles, so being able to drill a hole in the glass to put an actual handle on seems like a no brainer. The only thing I'm really worried about is the strength. 25 lbs of pressure sounds like plenty, but I have no clue what that translates to in snake terms. Anyone with opinions or anecdotal experiences with annealed that could give me an idea one way or the other?

Thanks

Re: Sliding glass doors - tempered or annealed?

Unfortunately, there is no "right" answer.

Generally speaking, if my budget allows, I tend to go for the more expensive. With the glass... I wouldn't worry about the snake breaking it. I'd worry more I would break it. I'm clumsy. I'd hate to do something stupid and end up shattering the glass. Plus, while youcan't modify the tempered glass, you could probably find someone who can (for a price).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts
    For ball pythons, annealed would be fine. I have a retic that has struck annealed sliding doors a few times, and they've been fine. Though I have seen glass shatter from a retic bumping it on this forum.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wnateg For This Useful Post:

Chaos-n-Dissonance (09-15-2020)

Thanks

Re: Sliding glass doors - tempered or annealed?

Quote Originally Posted by andeal View Post
    Unfortunately, there is no "right" answer.

Generally speaking, if my budget allows, I tend to go for the more expensive. With the glass... I wouldn't worry about the snake breaking it. I'd worry more I would break it. I'm clumsy. I'd hate to do something stupid and end up shattering the glass. Plus, while youcan't modify the tempered glass, you could probably find someone who can (for a price).
    That's the thing, with tempered glass it's not really possible simply because of how it's made. Any modifications like that would be hard to say the least, and even if done professionally and successfully it'd still significantly weaken the structural integrity of the glass. You'd need to get annealed glass, drill the hole, then temper it. I don't mind paying a bit extra for tempered but a custom job like that would probably be way too much

Quote Originally Posted by wnateg View Post
    For ball pythons, annealed would be fine. I have a retic that has struck annealed sliding doors a few times, and they've been fine. Though I have seen glass shatter from a retic bumping it on this forum.
    Awesome, that was the kind of anecdotal evidence I was looking for I figured a retic could shatter the glass from flexing, but was pretty sure it'd be a different story for ball pythons... Was more worried about the strike force, but if a retic could strike annealed glass and not shatter it then I'm sure they'd be fine with a ball python

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chaos-n-Dissonance For This Useful Post:

wnateg (09-16-2020)