Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,104

2 members and 3,102 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scarlet snakes

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: Scarlet snakes

Quote Originally Posted by SquirmyPug View Post
    That's awesome about the western i'm sure those tiny pinkies will help you out sometime when nothing else will do!

I'm not worried about keeping any of them, I just wanted to because I hatched them if I could feed them of course.

Hope you're doing well Bogertophis haven't heard from you in a while.
    That was many years ago...that particular W. longnose had been kept in a Calif. museum in a jar, & they kept trying to feed the poor thing insects... They finally turned it over to me, & "none too soon" it was starving & I only hoped I could save it. They prefer tiny lizards, but those non-viable newborn pinkies from my freezer turned out to be just "the thing" for that little snake to eat...& eat he did, every couple days, until he caught up. For anyone who doesn't know, "longnose" snakes are called that because they have a very narrow face...they need small prey for life, & it takes patience to talk most of them into rodents, but apparently they can live just fine on them. That W. longnose snake remained in Calif. with a new owner when I moved away.

My current & only (TX) longnose snake is over 18 years old now...it was in a pet store & wouldn't eat...I swapped them a nice c/b king snake that would be a nice easy pet for anyone, & rescued their pretty tri-color but starving & stressed longnose. I only needed to tube-feed him once...it gave him enough energy for his appetite to return, & within a week he accepted his first pinkies from me, & has never looked back...

Experience helps with these little ...my TX longnose is about 40" long, & for a meal, eats about 6 f/t fuzzie mice. That's about as big as he'll eat, & to compensate for size he needs multiple fuzzies to make a "meal". I've never known any scarlet snakes, but I'd imagine it's a similar situation.

I was thinking the same thing when I noticed this thread...it's been quite a while & I'm glad to see you're still "around" too.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-16-2020 at 11:21 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12