Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,940

2 members and 2,938 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Can’t keep humidity up

I recently moved my BP into a 120 gallon tank, but I find it hard to keep humidity, the humidity is around 30 to 40 percent, I have to mist the enclosure 4 times a day for humidity to get to 60, i have covered half of the screen but it doesn’t work. Any better way to keep the humidity?

Thanks

Re: Can’t keep humidity up

Quote Originally Posted by Ooo View Post
    I recently moved my BP into a 120 gallon tank, but I find it hard to keep humidity, the humidity is around 30 to 40 percent, I have to mist the enclosure 4 times a day for humidity to get to 60, i have covered half of the screen but it doesn’t work. Any better way to keep the humidity?
    As most of us learned, tanks are a pain in the butt. There are several helpful topics on here. One of the things you can do is get some spagnum moss, soak it in water, drain it a little and place it in various spots. It will help with the humidity some as it holds so much water.

Far as the screen cover, you pretty much have to cover the whole thing except for a small section. It’s really the only way to try and keep the heat/humidity inside the tank.

Unfortunately you will have to spray spray and spray to keep the humidity up.

What kind of substrate are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ooo View Post
    Like everyone will tell you, glass tanks are a pain. I've got a Animal Plastics T10 on order to replace my 40 gallon because.. just no. I can tell you what worked for me though at least to tide you over, and who knows, it might reduce your work enough to keep what you have.

I covered the entire top, except for a hole for my CHE, with a few layers of aluminum foil, shiny side down. I then did a layer of duct tape on top of the foil. All of this of course is OUTSIDE the enclosure on top of the screen. This helped pump my humidity up in the high 60s low 70s. I mist once in the morning and once in the evening and I'm golden. It does rise and fall though, so I ordered a PVC enclosure to better fine tune both temps and humidity to avoid this big swings, and because I HAVE to mist every day which means I couldn't take a weekend trip with the wife or else my humidity would drop down into the 30s.

Thanks

I use paper towel as substrate, can I just add a humidity box, does the whole tank have to be moist

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Cover most of the top. Put a huge water bowl (dog food bowl) under the heat source.

Worked in the 70's

Good luck!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    Have plexiglass tops made for them, and secure them with wall mirror clips.