Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,115

0 members and 3,115 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Bulb or stat dying

Hiya
    Having an issue with my heating in my little nippys cage (name is because her was apparently scared of everything and used to strike at everyone. Although that's never happened he is scared bless him. He's been with me three weeks now. )
    Anyway, since last night, whatever I set the stat too in the hot end the heat wasn't budging above 29 last night and this morning is sitting at 28.3c regardless of dtst being up high. My flats not exactly cold. I'm wondering if the bulb is dying (ceramic heat emitter bulb) it whether its a stat issue which it shouldn't be as it's brand new.

Help

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: Bulb or stat dying

Some CHE's get weak before they die---you could test it out by taking off the thermostat and running the CHE at full power (not on your enclosure) and see if it is really the CHE that is malfunctioning.

I would also use another thermometer to make sure that the temp being given to your thermostat is accurate.

Good Luck!
    *.* TNTC

Thanks

Thanks I will do this.

Thanks
    So waiting for my new bulbs to get here.. (Other half just gone to pick them up?. I currently have three thermometers in the hot end. I out an extra one in yesterday as suggested and ready came through as 31.1 cwhile previous thermo then reading 27c which hasn't budged. I've now put a third in there briefly while I wait and it's reading 28c. The third thermo is an eco terra one while other two are slightly cheaper ones.
    When tested on it's own it seemed to kick out a bit of heat as I couldn't test other than to just take it out and plug all into mains.
    Bulb issue? We will see shortly

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Newbiehelpme View Post
    So waiting for my new bulbs to get here.. (Other half just gone to pick them up?. I currently have three thermometers in the hot end. I out an extra one in yesterday as suggested and ready came through as 31.1 cwhile previous thermo then reading 27c which hasn't budged. I've now put a third in there briefly while I wait and it's reading 28c. The third thermo is an eco terra one while other two are slightly cheaper ones.
    When tested on it's own it seemed to kick out a bit of heat as I couldn't test other than to just take it out and plug all into mains.
    Bulb issue? We will see shortly
    Check the base of the bulb Newbie, see if there are any small cracks around the metal that screws into the socket. I've had a few that came in from Amazon for my bearded dragon that had a bunch of little hairline cracks. I tested them off the enclosure just to see if they would work and they did the same thing. I ended up just tossing them because of safety concerns and started going to the store and just paying more for them, since I can take them out and inspect before taking them home.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    Check the base of the bulb Newbie, see if there are any small cracks around the metal that screws into the socket. I've had a few that came in from Amazon for my bearded dragon that had a bunch of little hairline cracks. I tested them off the enclosure just to see if they would work and they did the same thing. I ended up just tossing them because of safety concerns and started going to the store and just paying more for them, since I can take them out and inspect before taking them home.
    That's interesting to know thank you. I'm look it for this and check the spare I've ordered. Thanks.
    My next question is how dimmer stats actually work. I've realised that at certain times mainly at night... The temp drops to around 30c around 9.30/11pm and then heats up to 32c around 10am in the morn.
    Is this normal?

Thanks

I switched the stat over and everything seems great now!