Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,019

0 members and 3,019 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

What is a good "refusal taker" to pair with a BP?

I've heard that many keepers have "garbage disposal" species that almost always reliably eat what their pickier snakes refuse, and I've heard BPs in particular are infamous with hunger strikes. I recently acquired one and have chickens that will happily take any turned down rodent, but I won't have them forever (they're getting old and I won't get a new flock). So I'm curious what's the general recommendation(s). I'm thinking a rat or bull snake would be the species of choice considering their propensity to eat anything anytime. Thought of corns but I'm not sure if they'd be big enough. And regardless of choice all would likely be too small to take what the BP's eating at that time as he will have grown up so I'm aware of that.

At any rate though, this isn't a super pressing question as it's a far off issue, but figured I'd ask around anyway to pass the time.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I agree, either a rat or bull/gopher snake, or a BCI. King snakes are great too, but have a narrower mouth compared to what an adult BP will be eating.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-08-2020 at 04:48 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    You could look into a carpet python or their close cousins Bredli Pythons.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (09-08-2020)

Thanks
    The Vietnamese blue beauty rat snake looks really tempting for the future (see my blue snake thread), but the 7-8' adult size is admittedly a little too daunting. Not so much for handling but more for enclosure space, especially for such an active species.

A bull seems more my speed, though I'd most assuredly want to start with a baby to socialize it early given their feisty dispositions. Have seen more than enough Snake Discovery hatching videos where whole clutches are writhing masses of rage right out the egg.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-08-2020)

Thanks

Re: What is a good "refusal taker" to pair with a BP?

If space is an issue than your options are pretty limited. An adult female bp will eat medium rats and my adult male eats medium rats (don't judge me for that I know the "rules"), which is probably too big of a meal for an adult bull snake? Might I suggest getting another bp or 2 and only heating up 1 rat at a time? That way if one refuses you can offer it to another. Or if they're all seeming hungry heat them all up one.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Toad37 For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (09-08-2020)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    I have many pets, if a rodent is refused my ferret will love it, or the dogs if it's large. The cats are hit or miss and prefer birds to rats. I've never had a problem with a bp refusing food though.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    An fish bait.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Toad37 View Post
    If space is an issue than your options are pretty limited. An adult female bp will eat medium rats and my adult male eats medium rats (don't judge me for that I know the "rules"), which is probably too big of a meal for an adult bull snake? Might I suggest getting another bp or 2 and only heating up 1 rat at a time? That way if one refuses you can offer it to another. Or if they're all seeming hungry heat them all up one.
    Hmm, possibly. Would give me an excuse to try other morphs down the line. But I should say upfront that getting another snake right now isn't exactly feasible for several reasons. Not to mention with mine being my first snake since I was a teenager (had a corn snake that got rehomed), I want to ensure I can do everything correctly with him first before I attempt more.

As I've said though it's not a super pressing issue (in fact he hasn't even eaten yet since he just moved in, plan to feed him on Friday) as I have other options at the moment like chickens or even burying under trees. But it's fun to discuss future projects and ideas.

Thanks

I've been thinking about a female Kenyan sand boa (female since they get bigger). Would that be big enough when both it and my male BP are full grown?

Then again even if not I think a KSB would be my choice for an eventual (like next spring at the earliest) second snake regardless. Actually surprised how affordable they are (even a basic morph like an anery costs half as much as my banana BP did). Guessing that's the livebearing coming into play.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Woma pythons are my trash compactors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast