Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,834

2 members and 2,832 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Extremely Active New Ball Python

Hello everyone! I recently purchased a new ball python, but have noticed that she has been acting extremely strange. Any advice or insight is welcome.

Before I get started, her husbandry should be spot on: Two hides on either side, tub longer than her length but not too big, 89 hot side 80 cold (checked with temp gun), humidity box, rock for shedding purposes, and a water bowl. She is also not being handled until she calms down.

Please keep in mind that my other ball python stays in his hide ALL day and just chills. My new girl is moving all the time both night AND day. She does not use her hides and will attempt to push against the plastic. She also is too stressed to eat and has only eaten once in 3 weeks. This third week I caved and gave her a live pinkie which she ate. I'm not sure whats wrong and why she is constantly moving? I would be less stressed if she ate consistently.

I have also noticed that her eyes are always dilated, even if its bright inside the room. I can provide photos soon. Any advice is welcome. Thank you!

Thanks
    Is she blind?
    "Something Clever"

1.0 Paradox Albino KSB - Spotticus
    0.1 Dutch Rabbit - Wendy

Thanks

Re: Extremely Active New Ball Python

How old is she and how much does she weigh? Additionally, what was she eating before you got her?

In regards to the enclosure, how cluttered is it and is the tub in a high traffic area? If she's that active I'd probably cover the sides and back of tub in dark material to give her a bit more security.

Can you post a photo of the enclosure?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Misha For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (09-06-2020)

Thanks

I don’t think she’s blind because when I first took her out of her shipping container and took a photo of her she close mouth struck at my phone. I think she may have some vision issues though.

Thanks

She is very young (born this year) and weighs around 80g. I’m not positive what she was eating before I purchased her, but I can try and get in contact with the seller. I’m guessing mice.

The tub is not in a high traffic area (it’s actually hidden under a piece of furniture) and 2 out of 4 sides are blocked by said furniture. The tub does not have any additional clutter other than her 2 hides, humidity box, rock, and bowl which take up about 2/3 of her enclosure. I tried putting other clutter in originally (fake leaves and the sort) but actually took it out thinking it might be causing her weird behavior somehow. I will attempt to put it back in. I will also figure out how to upload a photo :-). Thank you

Thanks

Update everyone! I contacted the breeder and he said he fed her live mice. I have been feeding her live rats which she is thankfully eating :-). Soon I'm going to try and introduce f/t rats to see if she will switch over. Hopefully! As for her activity she has stopped moving around and now sits in her hide near the warm side. Perhaps she was just hungry and looking for food? Her eyesight and aim is terrible though. She missed a fuzzy rat several times in a row despite it being very still.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mickumacku View Post
    Update everyone! I contacted the breeder and he said he fed her live mice. I have been feeding her live rats which she is thankfully eating :-). Soon I'm going to try and introduce f/t rats to see if she will switch over. Hopefully! As for her activity she has stopped moving around and now sits in her hide near the warm side. Perhaps she was just hungry and looking for food? Her eyesight and aim is terrible though. She missed a fuzzy rat several times in a row despite it being very still.
    Being that small/young, I wonder if her missing strikes are just inexperience. My Tonkatsu was very little when I got her, only 56g, and for the first maybe 4 weeks she would strike wildly and with no aim whatsoever. As she grows (she's around 160g now), she's learned to calm the heck down and strike with more purpose, and she rarely misses now.