Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,916

2 members and 2,914 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Question on handling my new BP

So i have picked up a lovely BP, called Rocky, from a local aquatic centre. His temperment seems excellent and was amenable with me transporting him from the bag he came in to his new enclosure.

Once in he explored his new home however he retired to one of the many hides in the viv (on the warm side) and hasn't come out since. I know he has been out at night as leaves and debris have fallen in the water bowl he has.

I am keen to handle him in another week (so he would have been with me for just over 2 weeks) to get used to handling him (my first snake) and also for him to get used to me.

My question is if he remains in his hide and i would like to handle him is it ok to remove the hide and then pick him up? I dont really fancy waiting until 2 in the morning to have to handle him; but i also dont want him to feel unsafe with me going in and removing his 'safe' space!

Not sure if i am over thinking this! Also need to figure out what type of mroph (beyond pastel) he is as the aquatic store didnt know.

Edit - to include a pic of Rocky.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Giantearlessgnome; 09-01-2020 at 12:38 PM.

Thanks

Re: Question on handling my new BP

How's your feedings been with Rocky? We always suggest at least 3 continuous feedings before handling, so your BP gets comfy and eating well beforehand.

With that said, there's nothing wrong with lifting up the hide and taking him out.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Misha For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-01-2020),Giantearlessgnome (09-01-2020),GoingPostal (09-14-2020)

Thanks

So he has had one feed shortly after coming home which went really smoothly. He is due another feed tomorrow so will hold out a bit longer and wait until after the 3rd feed if he takes to both without issue. Really useful thanks.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Giantearlessgnome For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-01-2020),Mr. Misha (09-01-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Agreed. We typically advise new keepers especially to wait until the snake has eaten 3 consecutive meals without refusal. If your snake refuses a meal the clock starts over.

Right now your top priority should be focusing your husbandry, letting the snake acclimate and getting him eating.

You'll have 20+ years to handle your pet.

Yes, you can definitely lift his hide to take him out. It's wise to give the hide a few gentle taps to alert him you're there before lifting the hide.

This is not meant to be rude, but it sounds like you would benefit from researching your pet a bit more. Remember, the more we know about our pets the better we can care for them.
    My advice, read, read and read some more. That being said, be careful who you learn from and always cross reference information before putting it into action. Unfortunately the internet is filled with as much horrible info as there is quality info.

Good luck! Feel free to ask any questions you have, we're happy to help.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (09-16-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

When handling .. best to be sat down and let it crawl over your legs/lap .. they need to feel secure . Royals are perfect for handling as they’re so calm and slow moving ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (09-16-2020),Giantearlessgnome (09-09-2020)

Thanks

I usually knock on the hide before lifting it to make sure mine's awake so he's not started by my hands coming in.

Thanks

I'd also recommend scooping the snake from behind, when picking it up. Don't approach its head or touch its face, if you can manage.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by andeal View Post
    I'd also recommend scooping the snake from behind, when picking it up. Don't approach its head or touch its face, if you can manage.
    ^ this ^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    Oh, didn't know the acclimation time before handling was 3 weeks (3 feedings essentially means 3 weeks since babies are fed so accordingly), thought it was 1 week, oops.

I did only really handle mine once for like 5 minutes so far at least, and that was after his first week plus his first post-arrival meal (with 2 days after that to digest it in peace). So hopefully that didn't mess with his acclimating period or something.