Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,305

0 members and 2,305 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Talking Re: 1yr old ball python tricky transition to f/t food. Need advice/information

UPDATE: SUCCESS!!

I am over the moon right now! After trying again on Tuesday (a week after his tank was cleaned and I changed out the aspen for coconut fiber), he didn't want to eat the weaned rat I had for him. I found another reptile/pet store in the area, albeit a bit more of a drive, and asked for a rat pup and some gerbil and mouse bedding. While the gerbil bedding had just been replaced and wasn't scented all too much the mouse stuff was. This ended up pointless, however, because upon warming the rat with a hair dryer after thawing he ended up eating! He gave it a quick look over before ever so silently snapping at the rat and devouring it. I stood back so as to not scare him and he appears to have finished it off without issue!

After eating he was still pretty active for a while, though. He spent the next little while hovering at the glass and the top of the tank as he usually does before retreating to his cold hut to contently watch as I cleaned up.

I'm going to give him a couple weeks of following through with feedings hopefully just like this one. I will continue to update this thread.

For now, I'd just like to thank every one of you that has helped me with this problem. Thank you all for being so welcoming, supportive, and patient with a newbie like me.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJKFOUR For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-05-2020),Mr. Misha (10-02-2020)

Thanks
    Congrats! It's an amazing feeling when things finally work out.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Thanks

Red face Re: 1yr old ball python tricky transition to f/t food. Need advice/information

UPDATE: Another win for the books!

My boy ate for the second week in a row! I am so happy! He put on a lot more of a show for me this time in his process.

I'll update this thread next week about the third feeding in a row, but then I'll let this thread rest.

Thanks again, everyone!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DJKFOUR For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (10-09-2020)

Thanks

Talking Re: 1yr old ball python tricky transition to f/t food. Need advice/information

UPDATE: Week 3 is a success!

My boy was quite active tonight before I fed him, possibly in anticipation. This was great to see as he has been hiding away in his warm hide more than he had previously. I'm hoping he's just finally a little more content with his surroundings, unless anyone has anything else that may be the cause.

Either way, he (after seeming more jumpy than usual in my presence) decided to eat his rat. This time he inspected it for a while and placed his head on the neck of the rat repeatedly and gave it a thorough look-over. This was strange, and I wonder if he was just feeling for heat/movement? He then took the slowest bite I have ever seen a snake take of a meal. It was comically slow for a snake, and it seemed to be one side of his mouth at a time. Quite the difference from last week where he struck at it fast enough to give me a decent jump.

So I guess that concludes this tale. I sound like a broken record again, but thank you to everyone that helped me out. I hope this thread finds its way to someone else who might benefit from it and learn something just as I have.

Until next time,
    DJKFOUR

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DJKFOUR For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-16-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Re: 1yr old ball python tricky transition to f/t food. Need advice/information

Excellent news ... especially if he’s ‘drop feeding’ as well !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123