Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,850

0 members and 2,850 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

2.5" or 4" Tubs for mice and how many per tub?

I'm currently in the design phases of building an entire rodent building, I've bred rodents for a very long time with a peak production many years ago of 10,000 per month. At that time I bought all of my racks which had 4" tubs and it was fine but I'm really wanting to optimize production, the building, and work flow this time around. The tubs I'm using will be 6"x20" and I'm wondering if I would be fine with the 2.5" tall or should go with the 4" tall tubs. The shorter tubs would be 20% cheaper and allow me more tubs in the same amount of space, otherwise it isn't a huge deal either way unless there's a significant advantage of one over the other. It would also have some advantages with grow out bins as I can do 20x20 grow out tubs in the 2.5" but they aren't made in the 4" deep.

Also, how many mice would you run per tub, I was thinking 1.5 per tub but I'm fine with 1.4 if it's less hassle and less cleaning.

I value any thoughts, input, or insight on this. Trying to find that balance of them not jumping out of tubs but weanlings reaching food and so on. Have any of you produced in short tubs like that?

Thanks

Re: 2.5" or 4" Tubs for mice and how many per tub?

Well, this was awesome, INSANELY informative and has the height at 12cm as a recommendation which is just over 4 inches so 4 inches it is.

https://www.animalethics.org.au/__da...se-housing.pdf

Thanks
    Almost all of your large scale mouse breeders are using the 10 series tubs and running 1.4 mice per tub. The tubs are 21.5" x 9.25" x 3.5". The Freedom Breeder model or the ARS comes with 50 tubs per rack. This is 200 females if you are running 1.4 and just pulling weaned mice. That should net you about 1600 mice per month per rack. I don't know how many mice you need to make, but that is a start for math purposes.