Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,829

2 members and 2,827 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Recommended Species?

Hello! I've been wanting to add another snake into my reptile family and can't seem to narrow down what species I really want yet. I already have a lovely young ball python but I want to dip my toes into colubrid territory. I will be going to a Repticon near the end of September and want to have a better idea of what I'm looking for, as I'm interested into most species. I'm mostly looking for people's opinion on different species and why you enjoy certain ones.
    What I'm mostly looking for:

- Preferably an animal with decent size (maybe 4-5 ft) that can be housed in a 41 qt tub when full grown (can up it a tad bigger if needed). I like the feel of holding a solid animal and not something too delicate.

- A docile species or one that can usually be reasonably tamed down. I like having animals that I can hand to friends and family without fear of them nipping them (My ball python was super defensive when I got her and am still in the process of taming down so I don't mind working a little for it).

- Depending on the species, I am quite happy with a wild type morph but I wouldn't mind some options

- I'm very open to not very well known species, perhaps unappreciated ones.

I understand that each individual snake has its own personality but I'm just looking for a starting point. Thank you!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Recommended Species?

I personally love corn snakes. I have two. Easy to keep, inexpensive, great demeanor (although they can be a little nippy when very young - not that they can do any damage at 10g), come in a variety of colors and patterns, eat great and happily take F/T.

I would also recommend Trans-Pecos Rat Snakes. They are generally very docile and have cool eyes that cutely seem too big for their face.

Both are pretty small as babies, but they reach full size in about 2+ years if fed properly.

At full size they are not bulky like a ball python, and are more active, but they are solid snakes.

Solana is about 360G now and close to 4ft while Figment is about 590G and closer to 5ft. Solana is more typical of corn snakes in terms of adult size (although she will probably level off closer to 400G).

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...nder-Corn-Baby

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ow-Motley-Corn

Pros of both species is the ease of which to care, appetite, acceptance of F/T, docile nature and reasonable size.

Cons are they both start off really small and somewhat fragile. They also may not be substantial enough for you.

However, if you start getting into larger colubrids like king and milk snakes, which I don't know as much about, they have their own pros and cons.

In my experience, corn and trans-pecos rat snakes tend to be more docile and calm and less "movey" and active than king and milk snakes.

However, others here may disagree with that.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I would have recommended rat snakes, esp. Trans Pecos or Bairds for docility & size, but NOT to be housed in a "tub". These are desert species that do best with plenty of
    fresh air circulation...ie. glass tank & screen top, not the kind of enclosures many use for BPs.

Not a colubrid, but you might also look into an Australian spotted python...big personality in a small package.

You might look into a nice king snake: plenty of excellent options & they would do fine in the housing you're planning to use. Mexican black
    kings are awesome, as are California desert kings, Speckled, Prairie kings etc. Also various milk snakes (Honduran, Pueblan, etc) are awesome.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 08-29-2020 at 01:20 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-29-2020),dakski (08-29-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I would have recommended rat snakes, esp. Trans Pecos or Bairds for docility & size, but NOT to be housed in a "tub". These are desert species that do best with plenty of
    fresh air circulation...ie. glass tank & screen top, not the kind of enclosures many use for BPs.

Not a colubrid, but you might also look into an Australian spotted python...big personality in a small package.

You might look into a nice king snake: plenty of excellent options & they would do fine in the housing you're planning to use. Mexican black
    kings are awesome, as are California desert kings, Speckled, Prairie kings etc. Also various milk snakes (Honduran, Pueblan, etc) are awesome.
    Good point on the tub and humidity. I almost wrote that trans pecos need it very dry, but I didn't for some reason. Good catch.

You think Corns would be ok?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-29-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    Corn snakes are fine in tubs.

I have an adult male high white California king snake that I use as my ambassador snake for people who have never interacted with one. He's very chill, active but doesn't run like a corn snake often will, and is downright pretty. He's about four feet.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-29-2020),Craiga 01453 (08-29-2020),Sonny1318 (08-29-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    Bullsnakes are a wonderful Colubrid that fit your requirements, though I'd honestly hate to keep one in a tub. Gopher snakes are very similar to Bullsnakes but in a slightly smaller package.

You might also consider a Plains Hognose (formerly called Western Hognose). They're a bit under your preferred size, but a female Hognose can get to be about 3' long. They are a heavy-bodied snake so you definitely get that feeling of holding an animal with some substance to them.

They're fine in tubs and enjoy having enough substrate for burrowing, though they are also active and out and about on the surface, so provide them with plenty of enrichment in the tub.

They are funny, charming snakes with big personalities, and lots of morphs/colors to choose from if you're into that.
    Last edited by Caitlin; 08-29-2020 at 11:52 AM.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-29-2020),Craiga 01453 (08-29-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    Bullsnakes are a wonderful Colubrid that fit your requirements, though I'd honestly hate to keep one in a tub. Gopher snakes are very similar to Bullsnakes but in a slightly smaller package...
    I was thinking the very same thing, that's why I didn't mention them either..."they need space or they'll destroy their face".

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (08-29-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    Bogertophis mentioned the Antaresia pythons (Stimson's, Spotted, Children's, and Pygmy). They aren't Colubrids but they tick a lot of the boxes you mentioned. A Stimson's or Spotted will be 3' (Children's and Pygmy are smaller). They're very popular in their native Australia, but not a super popular snake in the U.S. for reasons I will never understand, because they are such a pleasure to keep.

They CAN have a super-intense feeding response, though, so if you get one like that you'd need to be willing to use hook training or target training if you want a snake you can just hand to friends. I have four Antaresia, and I'd hand 3 of them to anyone, including a child. The fourth thinks anything that's warm should be food, but I'm working with him!

Between the fact that you want a docile species and prefer to use tub enclosures, I kinda suspect you might be happy with a Plains Hognose. It's hard to convey how charming they can be; they are really sweet and funny/quirky snakes.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-29-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Since it hasn’t been discussed yet, have you considered Vision boa tubs? They’re basically the footprint of a 4’ enclosure but 9” tall. I have a buddy that keeps his Pituophis animals, pines and bulls, in them with great success. Not the cheapest tubs but not a bad option either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (08-29-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    Bogertophis mentioned the Antaresia pythons (Stimson's, Spotted, Children's, and Pygmy). They aren't Colubrids but they tick a lot of the boxes you mentioned. A Stimson's or Spotted will be 3' (Children's and Pygmy are smaller). They're very popular in their native Australia, but not a super popular snake in the U.S. for reasons I will never understand, because they are such a pleasure to keep.

They CAN have a super-intense feeding response, though, so if you get one like that you'd need to be willing to use hook training or target training if you want a snake you can just hand to friends. I have four Antaresia, and I'd hand 3 of them to anyone, including a child. The fourth thinks anything that's warm should be food, but I'm working with him!

Between the fact that you want a docile species and prefer to use tub enclosures, I kinda suspect you might be happy with a Plains Hognose. It's hard to convey how charming they can be; they are really sweet and funny/quirky snakes.
    I'll just add that some king snakes think everything (including hands) are edible too. And I don't have that problem with my Spotted python at all, she's wonderful to handle, even for people of all ages that have no snake experience- she's been a good "ambassador"...but if ever they saw her eat, they'd likely be afraid to hold her.

So there is a range of personalities for all these snakes...just keep that in mind, there's never an absolute "guarantee". Heck, there's probably even a ferocious Trans Pecos somewhere? I've never seen one though...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 08-29-2020 at 07:58 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (08-29-2020)