Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,336

0 members and 3,336 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Another not eating post

I know there have been many posts like this made, and I have scoured them for answers and implemented whatever changes I could find to be potentially beneficial. None have worked, so I've decided to post my situation and see if there's any suggestions you all may have. As a fairly new snake owner (I got her aged 1 y/o, 2 years ago), I will accept any and all criticism. I just want her to eat something!

My 2.5 y/o female bp hasn't eaten since November of 2019. I've tried f/t large mice and small rats since she's stopped (I've stuck to small rats as of the past few months). I've tried:
    -live (have not offered in the past 2-3 months)
    -thawing f/t rat in water, then presenting
    -thawing f/t rat with a hairdryer, then presenting
    -thawing f/t rat in a bag in water, then presenting (what I've stuck to for past 2-3 months)
    -presenting near the hide entrance
    -presenting when she's out
    -presenting, then leaving overnight
    -presenting during the day, evening, and middle of the night
    -presenting every 3-5 days
    -presenting once every 1.5 weeks (what I've stuck to for past 2 months)

Some brief history- to my knowledge, she's been raised on live her whole life. I had been feeding her live small rats before the strike began (I fed a medium rat as well, but in hindsight I realized this prey size may have been too large for her), and currently offer her f/t. I took her to the vet in April to discover a black spot on her nose turned out to be a growth that may have been hiding an infection. After small surgery in May to remove it, there was no infection found, and after a combo of oral and topical medication through June, she's completely healed (phew)! I theorized she cut her snout somewhere near an opening in her old enclosure, which led to the growth. I solved this problem by investing in a vision-cage like enclosure, and moved her into it at the end of July.

Speaking of the enclosure, here are the specs (for those wondering):
    -3'X2'X1'
    -Vivarium Electronics cage with front opening glass door
    -thermostat-controlled heat panel on one side (not sure of the wattage)
    -1 hide under panel, 1 on cool side--both are used by her
    -hot side: surface temp=90-95, ambient temp =83-85
    -cool side: surface temp=75-80, ambient temp hovers around 75
    -humidity hovers between 60-70 (a pic below shows it at 85 after I gave the tank a quick spray)

Before the strike, she was around 1300g. She's now around 1000g. Since August, I've kept handling to a minimum (maybe once every 2 weeks). I last tried feeding her this past Monday. I then read how she may have felt insecure due to lack of cover in the tank, and so I added some fake plants. In a perfect world, she would accept a f/t rat... but after all this time, again, I just want her to eat something! I aim to try feeding her again at the beginning of next week to see if the new foliage made any sort of a difference, though my hopes aren't high. I've spoken to my vet, who recommended an X-ray to see if there's any problems we aren't seeing. If my next offer fails, I'm considering trying live again.

(pic of current enclosure and noodle in question)
    https://imgur.com/a/HWIyAEl

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: Another not eating post

Quote Originally Posted by Lightbaton17 View Post
    -live (have not offered in the past 2-3 months)

Some brief history- to my knowledge, she's been raised on live her whole life.

I had been feeding her live small rats before the strike began...and currently offer her f/t.
    Your set up looks good! Sounds like she is waiting for live prey again.
    Last edited by Lord Sorril; 08-29-2020 at 12:33 PM.
    *.* TNTC