Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,895

2 members and 2,893 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

BCC Temperament - by Country

There was a recent Brian Boas video that discussed how the BCCs were usually more difficult and temperamental than the typically chill BCIs. I know there's variability to each snake and incorrect husbandry plays a huge factor, but has anyone noticed any differences in temperament within the BCCs by country? For instance, are Peruvian BCCs known to be any different in attitude than BCCs from Surinam, Guyana, Brazil, etc.?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: BCC Temperament - by Country

Can’t speak for other locality BC but my Pokigron Surinam male hasn’t so much as postured for a strike on me and I’ve maybe heard him hiss once or twice in the two years I’ve had him. Cool as a cucumber that one is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

dakski (08-28-2020),RickyNY (08-29-2020)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_MD View Post
    There was a recent Brian Boas video that discussed how the BCCs were usually more difficult and temperamental than the typically chill BCIs. I know there's variability to each snake and incorrect husbandry plays a huge factor, but has anyone noticed any differences in temperament within the BCCs by country? For instance, are Peruvian BCCs known to be any different in attitude than BCCs from Surinam, Guyana, Brazil, etc.?
    the 'more difficult' thing was usually referenced earlier in keeping, like 80s,90s because most were wild caught. They may be a bit hissier as babies, same as hog isle and central american BI (they also have this reputation) but for boas in general, it's more of an individual thing and not locality based. As far as noticeable temperamental differences between specific Bc localities? no, never heard about anything like that. I only had a guyuana for a short time (rescue, was too far gone by time I got, vet and I did all we could) but kept up on forums with BC breeders and nothing like that was ever mentioned or noticed. My experience is from the late 90s to present.
    Last edited by AbsoluteApril; 08-28-2020 at 04:04 PM. Reason: missed a word
    For the Horde!

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

dakski (08-28-2020),jmcrook (08-28-2020),RickyNY (08-29-2020),Sonny1318 (09-18-2020)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

My 3 Yr old Guyana is stupidly sweet, I always open the glass and stroke him, always on the watch out too, never hissed at me
    crazy feeding response like most boas
    My 1yr old South Brazilian bca's are really chilled too, not hissed either

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richardhind1972; 08-28-2020 at 05:13 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (08-28-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

I tend to agree that a lot has to do with breeding, how much the breeder handles/works with the snake, and individual animal temperament.

I have two BI's from a breeder who is small and works with his animals and knows their temperaments inside and out. Both are docile as can be.

I also have a dwarf Venezuelan BC from Tommy Carpenter, of TC reptiles, and loves these guys because they are so docile. Feliz was no exception and he was a holdback and Tommy had spent time with him. He had two holdbacks in 2018 (from his 2017 litter) and I talked him into selling me Feliz.

I would tell you that babies can be nippy and scared, but Boas tend to grow out of that pretty quick and know their size when they get bigger. Since snakes bite out of fear or hunger, a snake that knows you really cannot hurt it is generally a docile snake. Boas fit that bill and most are puppy dogs at size and even much before they reach adulthood.

My recommendation is to speak with different breeders of locale boas, like Tommy, and feel them out. See what adults they have of certain locales that are particularly calm and ask about the offspring. In general how they are and specifically if they have any animals that stand out as both good eaters and docile.

Remember, a healthy boa has a voracious food response, and I recommend hook training all boas. However, once out (and hook trained) boas tend to be incredibly calm and docile while also being inquisitive.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (08-29-2020),jmcrook (08-28-2020),richardhind1972 (08-29-2020)

Thanks
    This is great information, thanks everyone! I have my eye on a BCA, but failing that, I'll probably end up with a BCC and wanted to make sure I knew what I was getting into with a snake I hope to handle without issues. I'm totally fine with the baby/small snake attitude as long as they can be worked with as they grow. My hissy little Tarahumara has me growing accustomed to the small snake bluff.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_MD View Post
    Hmmm...the most 'difficult' boa I've ever had was a BCI. I can't help with any first hand experience on the differences between BCC from other locations but I've spent some time with Suriname boas.

All 45ish Suriname boas produced here put on a pretty good show when they are babies (hiss/posture/tail wag/writhe) its damn cute really. They often hiss at their prey before striking (not defensively striking either). One of the babies I held on to this year already lifts his head out of the tub and comes towards movement looking for food and he's only eaten 4 times. His two sisters are drama queens but it will go away pretty fast with them too. Nothing difficult about it for sure..

Neither of my adult Suriname boas have ever struck at me defensively (one is going on 15yo) -they both have tried to eat me during feeding time though. I have a couple of two year olds...neither put on a show.

One thing about Suriname BCC I've noticed is that they never seem quite as at ease when being handled as other boas. They don't do anything surprising but their muscles are just a little more taught like they are 'ready' for something.

If the difficult part related to husbandry, I would say most BCI would benefit from being kept like BCC. BCI are just a little more tolerant of C+ husbandry and C+ husbandry used to be the norm...

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bns For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (09-18-2020),richardhind1972 (09-18-2020)

Thanks

BCC Temperament - by Country

My 6ft Guyana is super sweet. Also have a another female Guyana that’s 5ft and she’s sweet too.I had a 6.5 male Suriname that was wild caught. He was a total different story. He calmed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Hmoore1984; 11-01-2020 at 12:10 AM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hmoore1984 For This Useful Post:

dakski (11-01-2020),Kam (11-01-2020),richardhind1972 (11-01-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    I tend to agree that a lot has to do with breeding, how much the breeder handles/works with the snake, and individual animal temperament.

The only thing I can agree with here (to some degree) is 'an animal's individual temperament'.

I don't handle/work with any of the snakes in my care. Most get picked up a few times a year. Baby Suriname boas go from open mouth hissing, striking and tail writhing just from pulling out their tote to coming to the opening looking for food within a couple of months. This happens with as little handling as possible.

Even when the babies soil their enclosure I reach in, pick them up, put them in a fresh tote that was made ready before-hand and slide the drawer back in the spot. One of the babies I have right now would hiss if a shadow crossed his opaque tub for the first month. For this little guy, I didn't 'work with him', I gave him his space and left him alone...no photos or anything. He is just like his sibs now...calm and looks at moving objects as potential food.

I've picked up 25 wild bull snakes in just one weekend...not one offered to bite. Most calm down within seconds of gentle handling and remain calm while I take their temperature/weigh/measure them. I have never restrained one and I have done this for years with them. I only recall one bull that made a real earnest effort to bite me and even that one calmed down without being restrained. No-one has been working with those wild bulls. I used bulls as an example because they have a reputation (from where I don't know because I haven't seen it).

There was a time when I thought handling would affect boa's temperament but the proven reality is that it isn't needed and it can cause real problems. I think some keepers struggle with young snakes (especially Suriname/Guyana types) because they can't keep their hands off of them...leave them alone until they gain confidence over the time they need. Of the 45ish baby Suriname boas born here (or the adults) none have ever regurgitated or been a problem to get eating. All of them have become calm within a few months and none of them were handled in an effort to force some desired behavior.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bns For This Useful Post:

dakski (11-01-2020),jmcrook (11-01-2020),richardhind1972 (11-01-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bns View Post
    The only thing I can agree with here (to some degree) is 'an animal's individual temperament'.

I don't handle/work with any of the snakes in my care. Most get picked up a few times a year. Baby Suriname boas go from open mouth hissing, striking and tail writhing just from pulling out their tote to coming to the opening looking for food within a couple of months. This happens with as little handling as possible.

Even when the babies soil their enclosure I reach in, pick them up, put them in a fresh tote that was made ready before-hand and slide the drawer back in the spot. One of the babies I have right now would hiss if a shadow crossed his opaque tub for the first month. For this little guy, I didn't 'work with him', I gave him his space and left him alone...no photos or anything. He is just like his sibs now...calm and looks at moving objects as potential food.

I've picked up 25 wild bull snakes in just one weekend...not one offered to bite. Most calm down within seconds of gentle handling and remain calm while I take their temperature/weigh/measure them. I have never restrained one and I have done this for years with them. I only recall one bull that made a real earnest effort to bite me and even that one calmed down without being restrained. No-one has been working with those wild bulls. I used bulls as an example because they have a reputation (from where I don't know because I haven't seen it).

There was a time when I thought handling would affect boa's temperament but the proven reality is that it isn't needed and it can cause real problems. I think some keepers struggle with young snakes (especially Suriname/Guyana types) because they can't keep their hands off of them...leave them alone until they gain confidence over the time they need. Of the 45ish baby Suriname boas born here (or the adults) none have ever regurgitated or been a problem to get eating. All of them have become calm within a few months and none of them were handled in an effort to force some desired behavior.
    BNS, knowing you have more experience with boas here, I'll defer to you.

I've found that I prefer breeders who know their animals and can tell me if one animal in particular is less defensive than another, a better eater, etc. This goes for all reptiles, not just boas.

As you say, the above may matter little long-term in terms of temperament with BC's, but it tends to make me more confident with the breeder; that they pay attention and know their animals.

Either way, thank you for the post. I always appreciate your insight.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

bns (11-01-2020),jmcrook (11-01-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast