Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,834

2 members and 2,832 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: Panamanian Hypo Boa with a lump

Honestly sounds like a big slobbery boa that rubs the glass to me. I’ve found big streaks of “schtuff” on occasion from either of my boas. Sometimes they just happen to bulldoze their doors after taking a long drink of water and make a hot mess...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

dakski (11-20-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by L.West View Post
    He's at the vet. They did a prc test and sent it to the lab to be tested. In the mean time they are starting injections of Fortaz and keeping him for a few days to give him medicated nebulizer treatments.

He really didnt act sick at all. No bubbles in his mouth and he ate fine.

Only symptom was the smears on his glass cage doors.

This is my first time dealing with an RI and I've kept snakes for years.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    Did the vet say definitively that he has an RI?

If not, you are probably just stressing him out, IMO.

What's done is done, but now if the culture comes back negative, you need to ask the vet how long to keep him on the antibiotics. Starting and stopping antibiotics is not ideal, but also, staying on them could cause stomach issues, etc.

I honestly think the vet is either being precautionary or flat out taking your money, neither of which I agree with.

Maybe you prove me wrong and the culture comes back full of bacteria and he has a full blown RI tomorrow warranting putting him through all this.

Don't get me wrong, I want what's best for your boa, but I do not think, having seen a full blown RI, you are anywhere close.

EDIT: Did they do a blood test? Were white blood cells elevated? I think I mentioned I had a scare with my BP Shayna, before I got Yafe, and knew what an RI really looked like. She was still making noises when we got to the vet, but not as bad, and the vet drew blood and saw no signs of infection. The next day she was back to normal. Harder with BP's who can fast in the winter to know if something is wrong, but if your guy was eating too, I just don't see an RI. The point is, a blood test to see if there is an active infection, prevents unnecessary treatment and is probably the lesser of the evils vs. antibiotics, staying at the vet, etc.
    Last edited by dakski; 11-20-2020 at 10:04 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-21-2020),jmcrook (11-20-2020)

Thanks

I couldn't go in the vet due to covid. She told me he definitely has an RI. She did a swab down his throat to send it out. Is all I really know.

It could take days to get the results back ugh

I'm so over all of it. I had recently thought about getting out of the hobby altogether due to expenses since I also have 5 dogs that seem to always be at the vet for one thing or another

Life happens and I don't want pets that I can't afford to treat medically should the need arise.

I'm recently widowed and everything is so different in my life and being alone financially. It sucks.

I will see him thru this medically and then start to rehome my snakes.

I will update you all on how this turns out. I sure hope I didn't put him thru all this for nothing. It's to the point that I don't trust vets anymore. Who knows if they know what they are doing. Ugh

So over it emotionally and financially.

Thanks to you all for trying to help...you're the best.

L. West
    1.0 CORAL ALBINO BOA (OWEN)
    1.0 PANAMANIAN HYPO BOA (SAWYER)
    1.0 DUMERIL'S BOA (GRAYSON)
    1.0 ALBINO HONDURAN (RIVER)
    0.1 TANGERINE HONDURAN (FAITH)
    1.0 ALBINO TESSERA CORN SNAKE (RILEY)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Hang in there. Life can throw curve balls.

Again, we just want what's best for you and your snake.

I was trying to save you the expense and your boa the stress, that's all. If the vet said RI, okay. Good thing you acted and you were the one there.

Take a deep breathe and reassess once things come down.

I do not think anyone here questions your intent and care for your animals. It's the opposite. We know you care and sometimes that can cloud vision. I did it with Shayna, and I freaked when Behira (BI) starting having those quick shedding issues. I am still learning to trust my gut, what I know, and rely on the people here. I also have two excellent reptiles vets in my vicinity whom I trust and who work with me as they know I am not a typical owner knowledge wise.

You did what you thought was right. Don't look back. I doubt anything bad will come from it except the financial strain.

I am really sorry to hear about what you've been going through. I too have had a tough year - well beyond the 2020 nonsense. If you ever want to PM, just shoot me a message.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-21-2020),jmcrook (11-21-2020),L.West (11-21-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by L.West View Post
    I couldn't go in the vet due to covid. She told me he definitely has an RI. She did a swab down his throat to send it out. Is all I really know.

It could take days to get the results back ugh

I'm so over all of it. I had recently thought about getting out of the hobby altogether due to expenses since I also have 5 dogs that seem to always be at the vet for one thing or another

Life happens and I don't want pets that I can't afford to treat medically should the need arise.

I'm recently widowed and everything is so different in my life and being alone financially. It sucks.

I will see him thru this medically and then start to rehome my snakes.

I will update you all on how this turns out. I sure hope I didn't put him thru all this for nothing. It's to the point that I don't trust vets anymore. Who knows if they know what they are doing. Ugh

So over it emotionally and financially.

Thanks to you all for trying to help...you're the best.

These times are very stressful for everyone, & I'm so sorry about the recent loss of your partner. You have every reason to feel overwhelmed, but I hope you don't rush things- life is always about ups & downs, and pets are a great place to focus our attention during times like these. By the way, I had 4 big dogs for many years (in the past), so I can relate to what you're going through with your 5; I only have 2 now, & they're both senior citizens (15 1/2 and 13 years old). I truly hope things calm down for you- you sound like a very responsible & caring owner ("snarent").
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-21-2020 at 12:46 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (11-21-2020),L.West (11-21-2020)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345