Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,114

1 members and 2,113 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Pairing female less then 1500g to get her on food

Quote Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
    Yes, just like puppies or kittens, baby snakes are very exciting and cute. How many of those babies are in the same home and thriving a year later? 2 years later? 5? I took in a rescue last year that is likely only a year old and was near death from neglect and poor care. He's not an exception. How many people you know with hatchlings and how many with 20 year old snakes? How many homes do some of these breeders and pets get flipped through? How long do you think most survive in the care of your average pet owner? Selling them isn't the issue, it's where they end up long term.
    You make an excellent point. As a breeder, it’s our duty to make sure that the babies are going to good homes. I always ask potential buyers what their setups are like, what research they’ve done, what experiences they have... it helps me get a better picture so I know if I think they’ll take good care of the snake or not.
    I also make it clear that I’m always available for assistance, in case there is an issue.

One of my females was a rescue that came from an abandonment case, but she’s doing great now and is healthy as can be.
    I also had a lesser male come to me that had burn/bite injuries on his body, that I had to care for until he shed and healed. I found him a good home once I knew he was healthy.

I know a local breeder who had an older ball python in his late teens, though the snake unfortunately died from an RI. He was being treated of course but wasn’t strong enough to fight it. I plan to keep most of my snakes until they pass on from old age, they’re my babies.

I wouldn’t sell to someone that gave me bad vibes about their care. I do care about my babies. Breeders who just sell to the first person who offers them money don’t have very good business practices, imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm a very enthusiastic young hobbyist that is excited to see what the future brings!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    My advice for many reasons is do not pair. What is the snake's age? History? What if you pair, she becomes gravid, lays, and then struggles to return to eating? Even if you arificially incubate the eggs, there is no guarantee she will start eating again soon. If she starts eating after being paired, those nutrients are maybe not going to strengthen her body (your initial reasoning for pairing.) Also, if you make the choice to suddenly begin breeding, what if you change your mind about a pairing later on? If she does not produce, she may retain the sperm and potentially complicate the outcomes of future pairings. Every snake responds to breeding differently, and until you know your snakes patterns and habits well without that variable, don't complicate things for yourself. Sometimes snake care can be a lot like watching paint dry, so get a second hobby and strap in for the long haul...

- - - Updated - - -

Also, a snake will not starve to death from a lack of breeding.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tila For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (08-28-2020),Alicia (08-28-2020),bcr229 (08-28-2020),Mr. Misha (08-28-2020)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12