Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,075

1 members and 3,074 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Incubator temp fail

Hello all!
    I had a mishap with my incubator - stable temps between 88-89 and yesterday (day 53) I woke up and found the incubator temp at 78.8. Couldn’t have been longer than about 8hours as I had checked before going to bed and it read 88.3.
    I couldn’t sort out the issue but eventually swapped out the thermostat for the new one I had set up for the hatchling rack. Got everything sorted and temps have been stable again since - so likely about 10 hours of a temp around 78/79 (guessing time as whatever happened happened overnight but I checked in on the clutch late the night prior).
    My question, as I am obviously worried and quite upset, (we had the incubator set up and running as a trial run 3 weeks prior to eggs with no issues) this late into the incubation period, is this going to negatively affect this clutch? Not much I can do now obviously, but would love any insight if I should expect any issues.

Thank you in advance.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

Re: Incubator temp fail

Temp drops are usually better than heat spikes. I don't suspect there will be any issue as they are very close to term anyways. There may be a delay in the pipping by some portion of a day, but how would you know? Do you have anything in you incubator for a heat sink. My incubator usually has bottles of water filling any space that doesn't have egg tubs. That way if you do lose power or have a failure, the change in temp is slower as it takes a while for the water to adjust in temperature. Nothing to do but wait and see. Best of luck to you.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rlditmars For This Useful Post:

Firster (08-27-2020),jmcrook (08-27-2020)

Thanks

Re: Incubator temp fail

Thank you.
    I do have water bottles in the bottom space, next time I’ll perhaps add another metal rack and place more there for additional coverage!
    I also kind of shrugged and said well, not much to do but wait and see. I was very much planning on letting things take their course. It was a somewhat unexpected clutch as about a month after I purchased the female with plans of breeding in the fall, I was told by the previous breeder that she had been paired though he never witnessed a lock. I had inquired as she had only taken 1 feed from me and was appearing to be larger and larger. So, apparently there was a lock. We set up the incubator as a just in case and thankfully we did as here we are. 6 eggs, 1 slug, 2 went due to mold quite early so I’ve got the 3 remaining.
    If they successfully hatch perhaps I’ll post an update.
    6 eggs, 1 slug, 2 went due to mold quite early so I’ve got the 3 remaining.
    Insight greatly appreciated, thank you again.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Firster For This Useful Post:

rlditmars (08-27-2020)