Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,890

3 members and 2,887 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: California Kingsnake Feeding help

Quote Originally Posted by Cypris1 View Post
    omg im so happy rn

since she was in a deli I decided to put her tank upstairs since it wont move her around so I took the deli out and put it in a safe spot, put the tank upstairs, then once I had the tank setup again-I had not looked in the deli yet so when I took the towel off I was so happy that there was no pinky left I 100% thought she was going to die because of me but im so happy that she will be ok!!!!

Thank you SO MUCH I would not have gotten her to eat without you!

I know just how you feel! Hopefully, it will get easier now. Snakes often need some patience & time to settle in. They don't understand "our strange world", lol.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-03-2020 at 04:39 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (09-06-2020),Craiga 01453 (09-03-2020),Cypris1 (09-03-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Awesome news!!!!

I don't think you'll have much difficulty keeping her eating. Kings are notorious garbage disposals. Before my boy passed away I often joked he'd eat a slice of pizza if I dangled it in front of him....as long as it's meat lovers

Keep up the great work!! Your dedication shows you care and your snake is in good hands.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-03-2020),Caitlin (09-06-2020),Cypris1 (09-03-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

California Kingsnake Feeding help

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    Awesome news!!!!

I don't think you'll have much difficulty keeping her eating. Kings are notorious garbage disposals. Before my boy passed away I often joked he'd eat a slice of pizza if I dangled it in front of him....as long as it's meat lovers

Keep up the great work!! Your dedication shows you care and your snake is in good hands.
    That’s so true .. I have a King who will eat mouse / rat tails and day old chick wings and feet !!

Also whilst Kings May not have heat pits mine really do go absolutely crazy when I give the mouse a quick blast with the hairdryer .. I’ve always presumed it was simply the ‘enhanced’ aroma

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 09-03-2020 at 05:32 PM.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-03-2020),Caitlin (09-06-2020),Craiga 01453 (09-03-2020),Cypris1 (09-03-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

California Kingsnake Feeding help

Continued ...

A while back I dangled a warm mouse in front of my Cali King and it lunged at but missed the mouse and grabbed the stainless steel water dish and was throwing it around the viv !!

Last edited by Zincubus; 09-03-2020 at 05:37 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (09-06-2020),Craiga 01453 (09-03-2020),Cypris1 (09-03-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Continued ...

A while back I dangled a warm mouse in front of my Cali King and it lunged at but missed the mouse and grabbed the stainless steel water dish and was throwing it around the viv !!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Cypris1 (09-03-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Continued ...

Sounds like a king to me!!! Hahahahahaha.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (09-06-2020),Cypris1 (09-03-2020)

Thanks

Sorry to be a downer but..

I feel stupid. So very stupid.

I was going to put another pinky inside for her so I took the deli out of the tank and noticed there was something yellow on the paper towel... I lifted it and I was horrified about what I saw, the pinky I thought she ate. It was half way decomposed and I immediately started crying. I thought I did it and could get her to eat but I thought wrong. I had thought she ate it cause when I opened the deli I saw her and 0 pinky, I had put the paper towel so tightly in there I didnt even think she would be able to push it under it. Another reason I thought she ate it was because around 24-48 hours after she was out of the deli I smelled a bad smell so I thought she had used the bathroom, but really it was a rotting corpse. I didnt want to lift the paper towel when she first was let out because I was scared that if she saw me she would regurgitate.

Im not sure what im going to do now. Im not sure how long she can go without eating, I picked up pinkys from a different place this time since a worker at the other place where I was getting them from told me that their workers sometimes leave the freezer open and to buy it from somewhere else, I did and now that ones in there and theres still 0 interest so far.

Ive done everything people have told me, I have the correct temps, lots of hides and clutter, the hides have paper towels in them, no heat light to stress her, in a room no one goes to, leaving the pinky to thaw naturally then using a hair dryer to enhance smell, leaving overnight, and deli.

Im confused as to what im doing wrong???

Thanks
    OK, well that took guts to admit...sorry she still refused (re-read my post #7...stop heating the pinkies!). Anyway, it's likely they lied to you & she's only been fed LIVE
    pinkies, so for now, try a live one. When she eats them consistently several times, only then try offering 2 pinkies, first the live one, & then a second f/t one, prepared
    as I previously told you. This is what it takes sometimes for snakes to "make the connection" and after she eats several times, she'll probably be able to eat 2 pinkies as
    long as they're small ones. This is also how you teach them to just take f/t only. Keep at it, your tiny snake has been thru a lot...keep the stress low & DO NOT HANDLE.
    Little baby colubrids need to eat & grow for a while first...Don't give up.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-07-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    OK, well that took guts to admit...sorry she still refused (re-read my post #7...stop heating the pinkies!). Anyway, it's likely they lied to you & she's only been fed LIVE
    pinkies, so for now, try a live one. When she eats them consistently several times, only then try offering 2 pinkies, first the live one, & then a second f/t one, prepared
    as I previously told you. This is what it takes sometimes for snakes to "make the connection" and after she eats several times, she'll probably be able to eat 2 pinkies as
    long as they're small ones. This is also how you teach them to just take f/t only. Keep at it, your tiny snake has been thru a lot...keep the stress low & DO NOT HANDLE.
    Little baby colubrids need to eat & grow for a while first...Don't give up.

sorry I completely forgot to not heat the pinkys, about 5 people on a different forums told me that their kings went crazy for pinkys that where slightly heated with a hairdryer. Ill make sure to Only thaw naturally and no heat. When I go to a pet store again ill pick up a live pinky, I have not held her at all, only when I was putting her in the deli which was probably really stressful for her. When I try feeding her live do I put her in the deli again or just leave the pinky in the tank on a "platter", not sure if its a good idea for the deli again since she hated it so much. And when she eats them consistently 7 times ill then do the 2 pinkies.

Thanks
    By the way, now you know the difference between the smell of snake feces and the aroma of a rotting dead mouse; let's hope you don't add the fragrance of snake
    regurgitation to your repertoire any time soon. We all learn a lot of things when keeping snakes...now you also know to check for rejected food hiding in the cage.

She does NEED to be eating, but don't offer "too often" (not more often than every 4-5 days), as that only adds stress when she still hasn't eaten. And once she eats,
    she needs time to digest, so for pinkies, you still don't want to feed more often than 4-5 days, & larger prey takes even longer to digest. It's so important that you don't
    cause her to regurgitate (from eating again too soon, before the first item is digested) once she does finally eat for you. And btw, "think positive"...

By now you're wondering what you've gotten yourself into & is this really fun? Snakes can be hard at first, especially an inexperienced snake for an inexperienced owner.
    It does get easier, & we all had to learn things "the hard way". Especially those of us that have been doing this since before there was an internet for asking questions.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-07-2020)

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast