Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 299

5 members and 294 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 03:30 AM.


» Today's Birthdays

djmnts (44)

» Stats

Members: 69,225
Threads: 243,659
Posts: 2,527,095
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Courtney.adelman
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-29-2019
    Posts
    56
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts

    BP whistling but seems healthy

    Just as the titles says my Ball Python seems healthy. She eats weekly and seems as happy as can be but for most of the time Iíve had her through three sheds she has always whistled especially when breathing heavily. She doesnít have mucus around her mouth or nose, no loose skin or blockage I can see on her nostril, she seems completely fine. Iíve heard there are some morphs that can cause normal whistling with no hard to the Bp. Any advice?

  2. #2
    BPnet Senior Member Mr. Misha's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-16-2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,802
    Thanks
    477
    Thanked 853 Times in 626 Posts
    Images: 8
    How long has the whistling been going on? The reason I ask is because my normal has been whistling since she was a sub-adult. At first I thought she was sick but she kept eating and I didn't notice any shed or mucus. She's been whistling for 8 years now.

    Definitely keep tabs on her to make sure that it's not an IR but if it has been going on for quite a while (more than 6 months) it may be a permanent thing.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Misha For This Useful Post:

    Caitlin (09-09-2020)

  4. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-29-2019
    Posts
    56
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts

    Re: BP whistling but seems healthy

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Misha View Post
    How long has the whistling been going on? The reason I ask is because my normal has been whistling since she was a sub-adult. At first I thought she was sick but she kept eating and I didn't notice any shed or mucus. She's been whistling for 8 years now.

    Definitely keep tabs on her to make sure that it's not an IR but if it has been going on for quite a while (more than 6 months) it may be a permanent thing.
    A little under a year now, she readily eats each week, and only whistles when she breaths hard so itís not constant.

  5. #4
    BPnet Senior Member Mr. Misha's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-16-2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,802
    Thanks
    477
    Thanked 853 Times in 626 Posts
    Images: 8

    Re: BP whistling but seems healthy

    Quote Originally Posted by EldritchPreacher View Post
    A little under a year now, she readily eats each week, and only whistles when she breaths hard so itís not constant.
    I'm guessing either a birth defect of a previous injury. If she's eating and thriving, I don't think there's anything to worry about.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

  6. #5
    bcr229's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-18-2013
    Location
    Eastern WV Panhandle
    Posts
    8,797
    Thanks
    2,518
    Thanked 8,289 Times in 4,191 Posts
    Images: 32
    What morph is she? Both black pastel and cinnamon morphs have a defect called "duck billing" in the super form that is tied to the morph. In single gene critters this can show up as a whistle. I have several black pastel combos that do it, but usually just when under stress or when being handled, not when they're at rest.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

    Caitlin (09-09-2020)

  8. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-29-2019
    Posts
    56
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts

    Re: BP whistling but seems healthy

    Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    What morph is she? Both black pastel and cinnamon morphs have a defect called "duck billing" in the super form that is tied to the morph. In single gene critters this can show up as a whistle. I have several black pastel combos that do it, but usually just when under stress or when being handled, not when they're at rest.
    She seems more like a cinnamon as her color is and markings are similar to that but markings are both. She only whistles when handling, eating, or over exerting herself exploring.

  9. #7
    BPnet Senior Member dakski's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-07-2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    3,666
    Thanks
    5,479
    Thanked 6,549 Times in 2,839 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images: 134

    Re: BP whistling but seems healthy

    Quote Originally Posted by EldritchPreacher View Post
    She seems more like a cinnamon as her color is and markings are similar to that but markings are both. She only whistles when handling, eating, or over exerting herself exploring.
    How big is she/how much does she weigh?

    Bigger snakes make noises when they breath that can be confused with a possible respiratory issue.

    My female Boa is getting bigger and bigger and is now about 2KG+. When she exerts herself, and if I didn't know better, I would be worried. However, she has no breathing issues and is just a big girl who takes big breathes. When she climbs up my body and her head is near my neck, I hear it a lot louder too.

    I had a young snake (Carpet Python - Yafe) who fed ex lost in shipment and had a terrible RI within 24 hours of getting him.

    Nasal discharge, mucus in his mouth, whistling and popping, etc. and not on exertion. He also wouldn't eat until the RI was cured.

    It sounds to me like she's probably fine, especially if the symptoms are not getting worse.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1