Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,845

1 members and 2,844 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I will chime in and say I agree you should look into Carpets. I would definitely look into Bredli Pythons too. They are very close cousins to Carpets.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (08-24-2020),Gio (08-24-2020),jmcrook (08-24-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 531 Posts
    Personally I enjoy my retics more than my boa. Retics aren't for everyone and will keep you on your toes, there are plenty of horror stories out there. I'd say a good middle of the road medium sized snake is a carpet python.
    Silent Hill Reptiles and Rodents
    https://www.silenthillreptiles.com/

1.4 Carpet pythons
    15.21 Corn snakes
    1.1 of SD reticulated pythons, cali kings,black house snakes,trans-pecos,northern pines
    1.2 Japanese rat, 1.3 natrix n. natrix
    6.1 Balls, 1.0 orange Halloween ATB, 1.0 bci

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 67temp For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-24-2020),jmcrook (08-24-2020)

Thanks
    I’d look into a 50% SD albino cross that has been selectively bred for both size and behavior. You’ll get the best of both worlds!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    Good feedback here, and it sounds like you are leaning toward a Boa, which is a great decision.

One other factor touches on a painful subject but I think it needs to be mentioned. There's a pretty big push in multiple states to make it illegal to even own a Retic. I work with legislation and can tell you that this is not a Republican or Democratic issue; politicians in both parties are ignorant about reptile keeping, and are being pressured by vocal and powerful lobbies comprised of individuals and groups who are against reptile keeping in general or who are against keeping large constrictors specifically.

Right now they are using fears about COVID to push these laws using the rationale that restrictions should be based on protecting public health due to viruses that can jump from animals to people. They also use the rare instances of human injury/death caused by large constrictors as a rationale. If these laws are passed, they usually specify Retics, Burms, and Rock Pythons, but in some cases they restrict ownership of any constrictor over a specific length (typically 8'). Generally, Boa owners are not affected.

I try to be realistic and not panic about this stuff, but I have to say that my personal assessment is that we as keepers are facing an uphill battle, and in some cases we are just plain going to lose (as seems to be the situation in Florida and Alabama as I write this).

I just feel that in the current legislative climate, anyone considering their first Retic should do so with their eyes wide open. People who have already owned Retics for awhile usually know what they're up against, but new keepers may not.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (08-24-2020),Craiga 01453 (08-24-2020),dakski (08-24-2020),EL-Ziggy (08-28-2020),jmcrook (08-24-2020),JobForARetic (08-24-2020),WrongPython (08-24-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Dwarf/Super Dwarf Retic or Boa

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    Good feedback here, and it sounds like you are leaning toward a Boa, which is a great decision.

One other factor touches on a painful subject but I think it needs to be mentioned. There's a pretty big push in multiple states to make it illegal to even own a Retic. I work with legislation and can tell you that this is not a Republican or Democratic issue; politicians in both parties are ignorant about reptile keeping, and are being pressured by vocal and powerful lobbies comprised of individuals and groups who are against reptile keeping in general or who are against keeping large constrictors specifically.

Right now they are using fears about COVID to push these laws using the rationale that restrictions should be based on protecting public health due to viruses that can jump from animals to people. They also use the rare instances of human injury/death caused by large constrictors as a rationale. If these laws are passed, they usually specify Retics, Burms, and Rock Pythons, but in some cases they restrict ownership of any constrictor over a specific length (typically 8'). Generally, Boa owners are not affected.

I try to be realistic and not panic about this stuff, but I have to say that my personal assessment is that we as keepers are facing an uphill battle, and in some cases we are just plain going to lose (as seems to be the situation in Florida and Alabama as I write this).

I just feel that in the current legislative climate, anyone considering their first Retic should do so with their eyes wide open. People who have already owned Retics for awhile usually know what they're up against, but new keepers may not.
    Fantastic reply. Thank you for this.

It's also a good time to join USARK and help support our hobby.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (08-24-2020),Caitlin (08-24-2020),Gio (08-24-2020),jmcrook (08-24-2020),JobForARetic (08-24-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    Good question and good answers.

Retics are very fascinating animals. They are like nothing else really. They are very active, very fast and extremely arboreal, especially the SD x dwarf stuff. Even with a 6 X 2 cage unless it is 3 feet tall, I think you'll run into potential pushing issues, especially if the ceiling space is 2 feet or under. Every snake is different, but 3 of us here recently had SD X dwarf males that were not easy animals. JM had a male and a female. His pure SD female went over 10 feet if I'm not mistaken.

Moving up to a retic from royal pythons and a corn snake is a big jump. Retics are an advanced species and though I find them beautiful and interesting, I'm one that does not recommend them.

Here are a few other options that are "impressive" yet far more relaxing to own.

Actually, lets start with my retic.

Ooooops!! That's not him, that's his handy work.
    That was a 3.5 year old male, SD X Dwarf X Mainland. He was 9 feet and still growing rapidly.

He was extremely aggressive and that situation came about after tapping him and confidently lifting him out of his cage. The fight was about 10 minutes. He came back up on me after wrapping my left hand and nailed my right hand. Both hands took damage. I was handcuffed somewhat but remained very calm. My family isn't interested in the hobby so I'm a solo handler. Although my wife would readily kill the animal to save my life if needed.

I consider most animals in the 8-9 foot range "doable" but an 8 plus foot retic is a lot different than any other snake at that length. Remember this is my limited experience and the experiences of 2 - 3 others. There are good retics out there, but you MUST put in the extra effort.

He was absolutely beautiful and I do miss having him in a sense, however I'm completely stress free now that he's gone.

Here's his replacement and as Craiga mentioned, a species you may want to consider. Morelia Bredli.
    This is my male, Kevin. He's about 2.5 years old in this photo.

More recent here.

He'll be 3 years old mid September. He's around 5 feet long and growing slowly. I'd expect a 7-8 footer once he's topped off.

Speaking of impressive, this $80 coastal carpet mixey/mutt is pushing 9 feet and she's the sweetest animal I have. Super chill, long, and heavy, but not boa heavy. She's a super relaxed handler. This gal was 7 years old in June and she's still growing.

I love this snake and I'd say she fits into the "impressive" category.

Then there is my pride and joy, male, Barranquilla, Colombian boa constrictor. He's a pure locality boa bred by Gus Rentfro.

This animal is right at about 7 feet and is 8 years old.
    He's heavy and pure muscle. The well kept boas have a shape that is second to none IMO. The lateral compression looks so different compared to most other snakes..

Boas and carpets fit the bill for many of us here. I've never hear a complaint from people who keep them.

You have some of these.

You want to go bigger, so I figured I'd show you what some of the carpets look like and what a nice boa looks like.

The first snake here was that 9 year old royal we bought for our son and she's great.

Long thread, but I hope seeing some photos helped.

Cheers!

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (08-24-2020),Craiga 01453 (08-24-2020),dakski (08-24-2020),EL-Ziggy (08-28-2020),jmcrook (08-24-2020),Reinz (08-24-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 531 Posts
    Some others options not yet mentioned are the larger north American colubrids such as cribos, indigo's, pines and bull snakes.
    Silent Hill Reptiles and Rodents
    https://www.silenthillreptiles.com/

1.4 Carpet pythons
    15.21 Corn snakes
    1.1 of SD reticulated pythons, cali kings,black house snakes,trans-pecos,northern pines
    1.2 Japanese rat, 1.3 natrix n. natrix
    6.1 Balls, 1.0 orange Halloween ATB, 1.0 bci

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 67temp For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-24-2020),Gio (08-24-2020),jmcrook (08-24-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 67temp View Post
    Some others options not yet mentioned are the larger north American colubrids such as cribos, indigo's, pines and bull snakes.
    Man, I’d love to have a Texas indigo snake. But I steadfastly refuse to clean up that much rancid feces from any snake and especially at the frequency that drymarchon evacuate their bowels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (08-24-2020),Craiga 01453 (08-24-2020),dakski (08-24-2020),Gio (08-24-2020),wnateg (08-24-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Man, I’d love to have a Texas indigo snake. But I steadfastly refuse to clean up that much rancid feces from any snake and especially at the frequency that drymarchon evacuate their bowels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The eastern indigo I put a deposit on hatched. I've been told their poop is otherworldly. We shall see.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wnateg For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-24-2020),dakski (08-24-2020),jmcrook (08-24-2020)

Thanks

Thanks for taking the time to post the pics. I have some experience around retics & burms (handling in group settings only) but I never considered owning own one until I heard about the dwarf/super dwarfs. I actually ran across your thread with those pics of the injuries awhile back and that is part of why I wanted to ask everyone’s opinions on them before I considered them to seriously.

The carpet pythons are definitely interesting. I haven’t had much exposure to them before now, but I have started my research now.

I am really interested in the Boa’s but it seems like there is a lot to learn about them as they seem to vary a lot in size based on locality and genetics. Right now I think I really want a female Columbian BCI. But I really like the Suriname BCC as well.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bfrank For This Useful Post:

Gio (08-25-2020),jmcrook (08-24-2020)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast