Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,924

0 members and 2,924 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Cant get my tank to stay the same temp and humidity

Quote Originally Posted by ATARI View Post
    For my temps and humidity they have usually been: temps 75-85, humidty 50-65
    Temps seem find as well as humidity can you give more info about your setup are you using UTH as well, glass tank, tub, or PVC?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

I did plenty of research before hand, its not that I dont have the money, Im still a teenager and I will/would have to beg my parents to buy another thing on top of the 600 we spent.

- - - Updated - - -

Ive figured out the heat/humidity situation anyway it no longer matters, I wrote down a schedule of what to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Already had one of them and bought the other just in case, I never have them both on at the same time
    I'm sorry, I now know you're a teenager, but if you had done plenty of research you'd know the importance of a thermostat. It's literally on almost every care sheet.

Running heating equipment unregulated is dangerous to the snake. Those lamps can spike to dangerous temps which can result in neurological damage or even death.

A thermostat is literally the most important piece of equipment you can have.

Please do your snake a favor and explain to your parents that your snake NEEDS a thermostat ASAP. A thermostat is less expensive than a vet visit and it's only fair to your pet that you keep it safe.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 08-21-2020 at 11:35 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (08-21-2020)

Thanks

I did plenty of research before hand, its not that I dont have the money, Im still a teenager and I will/would have to beg my parents to buy another thing on top of the 600 we spent.

- - - Updated - - -

Ive figured out the heat/humidity situation anyway it no longer matters, I wrote down a schedule of what to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Already had one of them and bought the other just in case, I never have them both on at the same time
    Try to ignore Craig, I know you said you say you solved the issue but a BP doesn't need a heat lamp in the first place depending on your particular situation. If you post your whole setup we can definitely help you out. Don't be deterred by people that are trying to attack you.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by walzon1 View Post
    Try to ignore Craig, I know you said you say you solved the issue but a BP doesn't need a heat lamp in the first place depending on your particular situation. If you post your whole setup we can definitely help you out. Don't be deterred by people that are trying to attack you.

It's called teaching. Not attacking. Please, for the love of all things holy don't start your trolling on this thread too. You derailed the other one, don't do it here too

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (08-21-2020),Kira (09-14-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    It's called teaching. Not attacking. Please, for the love of all things holy don't start your trolling on this thread too. You derailed the other one, don't do it here too
    You say that and yet as soon as you started "TEACHING" the OP bounced, that's not helping that's hurting.

I have just as much rights to comment here as you do, I'm so sorry you can't see the error of your ways

Thanks
    Sorry Ive been gone for a few hours, when I saw thermostat I always just thought it meant to get a heat lamp and a thermometer to make sure it doesn’t get too hot, now I know. I have been paying very close attention to her temperatures and Ive regulated it to stay as the same as I can make it. I will talk to my parents about it and get it soon. I ordered a heat pad a few days ago, it will be here in a few hours. Plus I do have pictures of the tank setup, how do I upload images?

Thanks
    The temps and humidity have been 68 F and 57% all day and I have just had my white heat lamp on, I think it would be best for my to use my humidifier only when she begins to shed as the humidity is usually fine if I have the white heat lamp on.

Thanks
    Last edited by ATARI; 08-21-2020 at 12:43 PM.

Thanks

Sorry Ive been gone for a few hours, when I saw thermostat I always just thought it meant to get a heat lamp and a thermometer to make sure it doesn’t get too hot, now I know. I have been paying very close attention to her temperatures and Ive regulated it to stay as the same as I can make it. I will talk to my parents about it and get it soon. I ordered a heat pad a few days ago, it will be here in a few hours. Plus I do have pictures of the tank setup, how do I upload images?
    I know it can be confusing, all heating elements need to be on a thermostat and then regulated with a thermometer. Meaning all heat mats ass well as heat lamps. The thermostat just tells the device when to turn on and off the thermometer is your guide to the actual temps inside your terrarium

Ideally you want to have a gradient. A hot spot in the 88-90 range a cool spot in the 75 range and if you can a spot somewhere in the middle so your BP can self regulate it's temperature

Thanks

Hey, I know you're young but please remember that as a pet owner you have responsibilities to your pet just as your parents have responsibilities to you. It may be hard to ask your parents for more help but it is important to have everything set for your snake before you bring them home. I would say that if you're unable to pay to take care of them yourself and your parents aren't snake enthusiasts willing to do so then perhaps you should rehome the snake to someone who can properly care for it and wait until you're an adult with your own income to get one. I'm not trying to be mean so please don't be hurt, I've simply seen too many snakes die or suffer because someone thought "Oh, my kid wants a snake, I'll get them everything they think they need and then I'm done with it!"

Also next time please make sure you're doing research in reliable sources. Pet store websites and guides are not. There are lots of great links here to help you and if you'd checked them you'd see that a thermostat is necessary and for a ball python glass tanks aren't optimal (although with some adjustments they can work just fine!). Definitely switch to another substrate or even mix them. For cost I recommend either buying online or if you are buying at a store go to a store that price matches (I actually get a lot of things from petco because they price match both amazon and chewy).

The best solution would probably be to try and get your parents into snakes and let them be enthusiastic. Then you can keep your snake and they'll shell out for the proper care, win-win!
    Some girls were horse girls growing up. I was a snake girl.

Daughter of a herpetologist, student of the "Snake Man" Al Robbins, lover of all animals.
    Finished my M.B.S! Currently employed with grassmere outreach!

I specialize in rehabilitation and work with local fish and wildlife for rehab/release of native species. For exotics I work with reptile sanctuaries to rehabilitate and rehome to either qualified private owners or humane licensed facilities. I do not believe in fatal population control.
    Please feel free to message me with any questions. I don't know everything but I can point you towards resources.
    Do not message me with images of a snake you killed to identify it. I will ignore you.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Namea For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-21-2020),Kira (09-14-2020)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast