Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,053

1 members and 3,052 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Meet Apophis

Thanks

Meet Apophis

Picked up my first mkb this Sunday. He seemed like he had calmed down a little today. I came home from the gym and he was up rubbing all over the place. Since he ate for me Sunday. I decided to take him out and let him burn off some energy. Plus he needs to get use to being handle. He was hell on wheels!! After some intense handling focus. I finally got him to settle down and trust my hands and fingers. He slowed down a little and used them for a jungle gym. Long enough for some low quality pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Meet Apophis

Btw handling session did the trick. He is just laying chilled in his enclosure. After 30 mins I think we are both spent. Lol

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

That’s what, over 10 new snakes in two months? It’s not a race dude. Also all new animals should be left alone (no handling) until they have take three consecutive meals without issue

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

dakski (08-18-2020),Igotsmallballs (08-18-2020),Toad37 (08-18-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    That’s what, over 10 new snakes in two months? It’s not a race dude. Also all new animals should be left alone (no handling) until they have take three consecutive meals without issue

For me it’s 4 snakes in 5 months. 1 bp, 1 hognose, 1 boa and the mbk. The other 8 are my gf’s bp’s. She went a little morph crazy but has finally calmed down after the pied. There are two of us in the same house. I work two twenty hour shifts per week. So between us both. Everyone is thriving well. We have no intention of breeding anything til at least a few years down the road and it will be hobby breeding.

As as far as the handling you are right. He was rubbing a lot to day. I supposed I should have posted something about it before getting him out. It just seemed like the thing to do. Plus he’s been resting ever since. “All new animals should be left alone”. I thought it was mostly a bp thing. Now I know it’s not just bp’s

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Igotsmallballs View Post
    For me it’s 4 snakes in 5 months. 1 bp, 1 hognose, 1 boa and the mbk. The other 8 are my gf’s bp’s. She went a little morph crazy but has finally calmed down after the pied. There are two of us in the same house. I work two twenty hour shifts per week. So between us both. Everyone is thriving well. We have no intention of breeding anything til at least a few years down the road and it will be hobby breeding.

As as far as the handling you are right. He was rubbing a lot to day. I supposed I should have posted something about it before getting him out. It just seemed like the thing to do. Plus he’s been resting ever since. “All new animals should be left alone”. I thought it was mostly a bp thing. Now I know it’s not just bp’s
    Yeah, all animals need to be properly quarantined and should be left alone until 3 meals have successfully been offered, eaten, and held down, for snakes anyway.

It doesn't matter whose snakes they are - yours or your girlfriends. They must be properly quarantined. Ask if you are not sure how to do that.

I agree with JM here. Going as fast as you are has risks. I am not telling you what to do because it's not my place. However, between you and are girlfriend, you have a lot of responsibility now and for a long time.

Risks are:

1. Sick animals and losing the collection due to improper quarantine

2. Sick animals due to not following proper settling in techniques - like leaving them alone

3. Burnout for you and your girlfriend.

You seem very passionate about your animals. If you want the passion to last, pace yourself. Life is a marathon, not a sprint. Took me 27 years of reptile keeping to learn how much I loved Boas, for example. Never would have thought I'd have one, now I have 3. For most people space, time, and money, are all considerations. Make sure you end up with a collection you are happy with and proud of, if that's what you want, a collection.

Understand, we have your best interests at heart and have seen way too many people burn out and give up on the hobby because they went too fast.

No one is trying to judge, we are concerned for you and the animals.
    Last edited by dakski; 08-18-2020 at 08:53 PM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Igotsmallballs (08-18-2020),jmcrook (08-18-2020),Toad37 (08-18-2020)

Thanks
    I know you guys are coming from a good place. Not sure we’re the quarantine thing can from. Maybe because I handled him to soon. The mbk is on paper towels and not around any others. Same thing with the new bps. They are in the same room together unfortunately but not in the reptile room. 3 did come from the same breeder

The snakes we have are more than enough. As stated she got a little carried away and I didn’t exactly put my foot down til now. I assure you we are both research junkies. All snakes are inspected and handle at least twice a week. We also have most of there feeding days spread differently so we are not overwhelmed and neglect someone. Not just in socialization but in inspection as well. There feeding days are documented by both of us so there’s no confusion. As well as cage maintenance and cleaning. We communicate everyday about temps and humidity in the room. We notice when someone has been acting a little different. We can spot sheds coming and note them as well. All meals are weighed out based of the snakes weight.

I totally get where you guys are coming from. I could see a burnout factor coming in if we got more. Another reason we have stopped was because it’s to the point where if we did get anymore. We would have to get racks. We never wanted that for the snakes as it’s a hobby to us. I have seen a lot of people on Craigslist rehoming snakes. That won’t be us. If something happens with our relationship. We know who is taking what snakes. Also there’s the rodent costs. Future bigger enclosures etc.

i wouldnt mine hearing more about proper quarantining. Like I said we are both research junkies but also not veterans.

Ty you guys for weighing in. I know you have the snakes and our best interests in mind. I’ve learned a lot from you guys. I really appreciate it and I ensure you we are done. Lol. Although I do eventually want that one huge female bcc. Lol. Down the road that is. Lol

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Igotsmallballs For This Useful Post:

dakski (08-18-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Proper Quarantine in an Ideal Situation (for all reptiles except for #5 RE feeding - Lizards fed more often than snakes should be given 3 weeks to adjust to their new surroundings before being handled, etc):

1. Paper substrate (can see mites, easier to keep clean and sanitary, etc.)

2. Proper temps and humidity are a must

3. Separate rooms than all other reptiles

4. Separate tongs, bowls, etc. If a quarantined animal doesn't eat, that prey item (if F/T) is thrown away and not offered to another animal

5. Quarantined animal is fed, handled, cleaned, etc. last. On handling, there should be none aside from removing to clean tank and put back, until 3 meals in a row are digested.

6. Clothes changed and shower and/or thorough hand and arm cleaning after touching quarantined animal.

7. DO this for 3 months. IF any animals shows signs of distress/illness, etc. OR a new animal comes into the same room/area, Quarantine starts at day 1 again.

Since you have taken on many new animals, you'll have to do your best to follow these rules as I am guessing you don't have 12 rooms in your house (I don't).

1, 2, 4, and 6, should be followed to a T.

Do not use feeding utensils or offer refused food, etc. between animals.

Wash hands, and clothes if possible, thoroughly.

In your case, any animal that seems like it might not be 100% healthy should be moved to a separate space immediately, probably vet checked, and quarantine starts over for everyone else.

If I missed anything, BP.net peeps, please feel free to add.

Good luck and keep us posted. Hopefully all goes well.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Igotsmallballs (08-18-2020),jmcrook (08-18-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Proper Quarantine in an Ideal Situation (for all reptiles except for #5 RE feeding - Lizards fed more often than snakes should be given 3 weeks to adjust to their new surroundings before being handled, etc):

1. Paper substrate (can see mites, easier to keep clean and sanitary, etc.)

2. Proper temps and humidity are a must

3. Separate rooms than all other reptiles

4. Separate tongs, bowls, etc. If a quarantined animal doesn't eat, that prey item (if F/T) is thrown away and not offered to another animal

5. Quarantined animal is fed, handled, cleaned, etc. last. On handling, there should be none aside from removing to clean tank and put back, until 3 meals in a row are digested.

6. Clothes changed and shower and/or thorough hand and arm cleaning after touching quarantined animal.

7. DO this for 3 months. IF any animals shows signs of distress/illness, etc. OR a new animal comes into the same room/area, Quarantine starts at day 1 again.

Since you have taken on many new animals, you'll have to do your best to follow these rules as I am guessing you don't have 12 rooms in your house (I don't).

1, 2, 4, and 6, should be followed to a T.

Do not use feeding utensils or offer refused food, etc. between animals.

Wash hands, and clothes if possible, thoroughly.

In your case, any animal that seems like it might not be 100% healthy should be moved to a separate space immediately, probably vet checked, and quarantine starts over for everyone else.

If I missed anything, BP.net peeps, please feel free to add.

Good luck and keep us posted. Hopefully all goes well.
    I’m sure it will and tyvm for this.

Thanks
    Oh wow. Very detailed and we have been missing a few things. I see your point.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Igotsmallballs For This Useful Post:

dakski (08-18-2020)