Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,021

1 members and 3,020 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered User noodle.obsessed's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Stuck shed question

Try another bath if you want if you are worried about stressing her out add a small rock or something from her enclosure so she can hold onto it, remove the shed carefully with a towl.
    Another option is just waiting for her to shed again to remove them but this may be difficult for her depending on how stuck they are and could just make things worse. (personally I'd help her out)
    At the end of the day you're gonna hear so many different opinions especially when it comes to ball pythons as they are so hardy! Do what you feel most comfortable doing as long as it is safe.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by noodle.obsessed View Post
    Try another bath if you want if you are worried about stressing her out add a small rock or something from her enclosure so she can hold onto it, remove the shed carefully with a towl.
    Another option is just waiting for her to shed again to remove them but this may be difficult for her depending on how stuck they are and could just make things worse. (personally I'd help her out)
    At the end of the day you're gonna hear so many different opinions especially when it comes to ball pythons as they are so hardy! Do what you feel most comfortable doing as long as it is safe.
    I did give her a rock for the first bath, and it was HILARIOUS... when I went back to check on her, she had coiled up on top of it, holding as much of her body out of the water as possible. Maybe a smaller rock next time, lol.

As soon as I'm done with my work in an our or so, I'm going to get a wet towel and see if I can help her. I'm mostly just worried about her eyecaps, and the fact that she's still rubbing a lot so I know it's bothering her.

Thanks

Don't beat yourself up over it, it happens an it'll come off. If there's a stuck eye cap you can try to wipe it gently with a warm wet paper towel and see if it will come off. If not let it be and try again in a day or two. This has worked for me before.

Sean
    “It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.”

FDR

Thanks

Okay I finally got a chance to work on it a little bit, I did the warm wet washcloth thing. I was able to get almost all the stuck shed off except for a little on Tonks' nose, and I was only able to get one eyecap off. The other is still there, but at least now she can see a little bit, and I stopped at that point because I didn't want to stress her out too much. I figure at least now she's mostly okay, and I can maybe try again in a couple days, or let it take care of itself with the next shed. I feel much better, though. And she wasn't happy with me, but much better behaved than I expected considering that she was my scaredy-baby just a few weeks ago. All that work with getting her to let me handle her head really paid off!
    Last edited by OoohShiny; 08-16-2020 at 11:28 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to OoohShiny For This Useful Post:

noodle.obsessed (08-17-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OoohShiny View Post
    Okay I finally got a chance to work on it a little bit, I did the warm wet washcloth thing. I was able to get almost all the stuck shed off except for a little on Tonks' nose, and I was only able to get one eyecap off. The other is still there, but at least now she can see a little bit, and I stopped at that point because I didn't want to stress her out too much. I figure at least now she's mostly okay, and I can maybe try again in a couple days, or let it take care of itself with the next shed. I feel much better, though. And she wasn't happy with me, but much better behaved than I expected considering that she was my scaredy-baby just a few weeks ago. All that work with getting her to let me handle her head really paid off!
    A short soak then wrap up on in a wet /damp towel and everything else will also come off .. just apply very , very gentle pressure to the head region ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

I did try again this morning, and when I got all the shed softened, I sort of pinched the edge at the back of her head between my fingers to see how loose it was. Tonks jerked her head really hard, but at just the right angle, and everything else came off including the second eyecap. I'd have preferred to be a bit more gentle, but she's the one who pulled! But she's fine now, other than being VERY offended at being manhandled, lol.

Then I check on my bigger girl, Ana Gwyn, and she's got a pink belly, SIGH. So I misted her tub really thoroughly and I'm going to make her another humidity box, she outgrew her old one. No more stuck shed!

Thanks for all the advice!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OoohShiny View Post
    I did try again this morning, and when I got all the shed softened, I sort of pinched the edge at the back of her head between my fingers to see how loose it was. Tonks jerked her head really hard, but at just the right angle, and everything else came off including the second eyecap. I'd have preferred to be a bit more gentle, but she's the one who pulled! But she's fine now, other than being VERY offended at being manhandled, lol.

Then I check on my bigger girl, Ana Gwyn, and she's got a pink belly, SIGH. So I misted her tub really thoroughly and I'm going to make her another humidity box, she outgrew her old one. No more stuck shed!

Thanks for all the advice!
    When they’re in shed simply spray the viv a couple of times each day until you actually find the shedded skin ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12