Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,826

4 members and 3,822 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Ball Python handling

Quote Originally Posted by ATARI View Post
    Thank you everyone for the responses! I will keep all of this in mind! Out of curiousity, scientifically, is there a reason why handling them sometimes makes them not eat? Is it due to stress?
    Yup, exactly. A stressed snake will typically refuse food. Think of it like this... That snake is still tiny and sees just about everything, including you, as a potential predator. So if you're handling the snake too often or before settled in and acclimated you're basically a scary predator that the snake may need to escape from. Without the added weight of prey or added stress of digestion a snake can escape more easily. So essentially, the snake won't eat in case it needs to escape the scary predator, which would be you.

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    Don't handle a snake for a couple days after they eat, digestion is a huge process that's very hard on their systems and you can trigger a regurgitation by bothering them during that. I wait 2-3 days after a meal depending on its size. With a new snake it's best to hold off on handling altogether until they have eaten for you reliably several times. I usually take my snakes out for short periods, let them stretch out and explore, check them all over and then back up after 5-20 minutes. Like you said, they aren't dogs or cats that enjoy or need attention from us, they'd rather be left alone.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12