Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,619

2 members and 1,617 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Ball Python handling

I got my first Ball Python 3 days ago! The pet store said she is a juvenile and she was fed the day before I got her so I dont have to worry about that for a few more days. She has had no problem with handling and I have been handling her every day. She will now crawl up my arm if I stick my arm into her cage and crawl up and around, she does good signs like tongue flicking and has yet to strike or ball up. Yesterday I held her for over an hour and she was still going on about her business playing with my hair and continuing to flick out her tongue. Is this normal? Is this safe for a Ball Python?

Thanks

Re: Ball Python handling

correction : 2 days before I got her

Thanks

This is why so many people keep ball pythons. They are incredibly docile, and while each snake has it's own personality and some are more shy, in general, they are very easy going. When you try to feed her for the first time if she eats well, keep doing what your doing. If not, maybe handle her less and give her more time to get used to her new home. I know it's hard, I got a baby corn snake 4 days ago and I can't resist the urge to pick him up a couple times a day and handle him.

Thanks

Thank you so much! This makes a lot of sense, I will keep in mind when I feed her in a few days, it’s hard to remember she isn’t like a dog or cat and can’t be played with all the time haha.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ATARI View Post
    I got my first Ball Python 3 days ago! The pet store said she is a juvenile and she was fed the day before I got her so I dont have to worry about that for a few more days. She has had no problem with handling and I have been handling her every day. She will now crawl up my arm if I stick my arm into her cage and crawl up and around, she does good signs like tongue flicking and has yet to strike or ball up. Yesterday I held her for over an hour and she was still going on about her business playing with my hair and continuing to flick out her tongue. Is this normal? Is this safe for a Ball Python?
    Yes it's normal. Hold off from handling until it eats consistently (2-3 meals). Too much handling too soon can trigger a food strike (Stress).

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Yeah, it's a good idea to hold off on handling until you know he's eating reliably. I always suggest waiting until the snake has had 3 consecutive meals without refusal.

Making sure he's acclimating and eating should be top priority. You'll have 20+ years to handle your snake. You definitely want to avoid starting out with feeding trouble, that's a headache you don't want.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Thank you so much! This makes a lot of sense, I will keep in mind when I feed her in a few days, it’s hard to remember she isn’t like a dog or cat and can’t be played with all the time haha.
    Exactly! Snakes don't seek out or enjoy handling, they tolerate it.

Thanks

Thank you everyone for the responses! I will keep all of this in mind! Out of curiousity, scientifically, is there a reason why handling them sometimes makes them not eat? Is it due to stress?

Thanks

Thank you everyone for the responses! I will keep all of this in mind! Out of curiousity, scientifically, is there a reason why handling them sometimes makes them not eat? Is it due to stress?
    Exactly. Ball Pythons love tight spaces and security. So when you take them out of their safe environment, it may stress them out and make them go off feed. First make sure that your little one is eating and then you can resume handling.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Soooo when everything is settled ..

As regards handling it’s always better to be sat down and let them crawl all over you but watch them for sticking their heads down the sofa / settee

If you’re sat down there’s not far for them to fall or slide and they always feel safe and secure ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-17-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast