Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,462

1 members and 2,461 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Help with Lethargic Ball Python?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    YES! It's a must...otherwise your BP will likely end up with burns, which is a serious health issue & will require the care of a competent herp vet. Best avoided, don't you think?
    He can get burns from a ceramic heat emitter above the enclosure?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    Ok, I thought not. You can order off Amazon, some pet stores carry them, or if you want the Cadillac of thermostats you can look into Herpstat.

You definitely need to get one asap. Its literally the most important piece of equipment you can have. Not trying to be rude, but most caresheets mention a thermostat. Almost any research will lead you to a thermostat pretty quickly.
    I... might have read “thermostat” and thought “thermometer”... I thought regulating the temperature by keeping an eye on it myself would work but I guess not

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deltagirl View Post
    Any unregulated heat source could potentially get hot enough to harm him. Generally CHE are run on dimmers to lower the power.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Burns are unlikely with a terrestrial species like BP, but still possible.
    Unregulated heat from above can spike to dangerous temps which can be fatal or cause permanent neurological damage.

Banned
    Thanks

I... might have read “thermostat” and thought “thermometer”... I thought regulating the temperature by keeping an eye on it myself would work but I guess not
    That may have been the case. No worries. Now you know. But ALL heat sources should be regulated by a thermostat. I'm willing to bet my house the previous burn was from an unregulated heat mat.

Heat mats are not for ambient temps, they are designed solely to provide a hot spot, primarily used for digestion. Heat lamps are used for ambient temps. You can definitely get away with not providing belly heat though. I don't run belly heat with any of my pythons or my hognose. But, that means either heating a room in winter or upgrading to a Radiant Heat Panel (by far the best heat source). In winter I heat my snake room and use the RHP to provide a warm and cool side. In summer, my snake room stays low 80s most of the time, so my heating equipment hardly turns on.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 08-14-2020 at 03:50 PM.

Thanks

Yeah, the burns he had when he was given to me were definitely from a heat mat. He also had a rat bite. Took a couple vet visits and a lot of medicated baths to deal with that.
    Last edited by Deltagirl; 08-14-2020 at 03:57 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

Yeah, the burns he had when he was given to me were definitely from a heat mat. He also had a rat bite. Took a couple vet visits and a lot of medicated baths to deal with that.
    Yeah, I can imagine. I'm glad you've got him in a better place now!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    That may have been the case. No worries. Now you know. But ALL heat sources should be regulated by a thermostat. I'm willing to bet my house the previous burn was from an unregulated heat mat.

Heat mats are not for ambient temps, they are designed solely to provide a hot spot, primarily used for digestion. Heat lamps are used for ambient temps. You can definitely get away with not providing belly heat though. I don't run belly heat with any of my pythons or my hognose. But, that means either heating a room in winter or upgrading to a Radiant Heat Panel (by far the best heat source). In winter I heat my snake room and use the RHP to provide a warm and cool side. In summer, my snake room stays low 80s most of the time, so my heating equipment hardly turns on.
    So do you think having the CHE on one side of the tank provides enough of a hot and cold side? I can’t keep the room in the 80s because he shares a room with me, although the heat emitter does not discriminate in what it heats and has warmed the whole room to nearly 80.

Banned
    Thanks

So do you think having the CHE on one side of the tank provides enough of a hot and cold side? I can’t keep the room in the 80s because he shares a room with me, although the heat emitter does not discriminate in what it heats and has warmed the whole room to nearly 80.
    I'm not sure where you live, but yeah you can definitely get a proper heat gradient with the CHE. Once winter hits you may need to make adjustments though. Once the heat source is regulated it gets 100000000 times easier, I promise. It basically does the work for you once it's dialed in. Just check daily to make sure equipment is running properly.
    You can also use a rheostat (essentially a dimmer switch) but as the ambient room temps change you need to adjust it. It basically just pumps out heat until it reaches your setting. Whereas a thermostat knows when to shut off and turn on because it has a probe reading the temps and relaying the message.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 08-14-2020 at 04:45 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12