Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,271

2 members and 2,269 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Help with Lethargic Ball Python?

Hello! My ball python Schmee (~3 year old male) has seemed oddly lethargic for the past few days. I’m wondering if I should be concerned. I just brought him back to my apartment after he spent the summer at my family home. The trip was an hour and a half long, and he got pretty agitated halfway through. I was wondering if it was normal for it to take a while for a snake to be back to acting like himself after a stressful move, or if I should look for the cause elsewhere. My other thought is that he might be cold. When I got to the apartment I noticed that my roommates were keeping it colder than usual, and I’ve had trouble keeping the temperature up in his enclosure. But even when the hot side is what I would consider not hot enough, he still chooses to spend time on the cool side, so I think that the problem may be something else. My final idea, which is the most concerning, is that he is somehow being affected by the bug poison I sprayed in my room. However, I didn’t move him into the room until days after I sprayed, and I haven’t let him go exploring on the floor since then. There is no smell of the poison in the room, and it is supposed to be pet safe after it dries. Finally, he’s pooped recently so I don’t think he’s constipated. Does anyone have any ideas as to what is making him so sluggish lately? Does it sound like anything is seriously wrong or should I just give him some time?

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    All of your hypothesis make sense.

One thing that would concern me is the spray. When saying "pet safe" I think they tend to forget about exotics. Snakes in general are very sensitive to sprays and toxins.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-14-2020)

Thanks

Re: Help with Lethargic Ball Python?

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    All of your hypothesis make sense.

One thing that would concern me is the spray. When saying "pet safe" I think they tend to forget about exotics. Snakes in general are very sensitive to sprays and toxins.
    Do you think the spray would be enough to affect him even though he was moved in four days after I sprayed? One thing I realized is that I sprayed under the desk, and I keep his bedding there. But I moved the bedding out when I sprayed and didn’t put it back for over an hour. Also he was acting like this before I changed any of the bedding. I could do a full cage clean and move him downstairs but I’m afraid that if he’s just recovering from stress that will make it worse.

Thanks

Actually, I remembered the substrate wasn’t in the apartment when I sprayed either. I only put the bags of it under the desk days later after I brought Schmee back. It was something else I moved when I sprayed.

Banned
    Thanks
    Honestly, I would just keep an eye on him. Give him a few days and see if he goes back to his normal self.

If you don't see improvement then I'd start considering a vet visit.

I didn't mean to scare you by saying snakes are more sensitive, but I figure it was worth mentioning. I personally won't use any sprays or anything anywhere near my snakes, but I may be over cautious in that regard.
    I have painted and sealed enclosures though, but I give them literally a month before I put my snakes anywhere near them. Again, over cautious though.

All that being said, it could be the move.
    Typically snakes handle cold better than hot, so I'd be a bit surprised if that's it, but I certainly can't rule it out.

How are you heating the enclosure?? It'll be important to get those temps up before feeding. I would hold off on offering food at least a week while he acclimates. You definitely don't want to add a regurge right now.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-14-2020),Deltagirl (08-14-2020)

Thanks

I have a ceramic heat emitter on a stand over one side of the enclosure. (When I first got him last year he had a bad burn from a heating pad, so I haven’t wanted to use one.) I had the hot side in the 90s for a while, but he seems content with the mid 80s and spends a lot of time on the cool side when the enclosure is at that temperature, so I try to keep it in the mid 80s now. It got colder than that this week, hence my temperature concern. I have it at 89 now and will make sure it is warm before I feed him.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deltagirl View Post
    I have a ceramic heat emitter on a stand over one side of the enclosure. (When I first got him last year he had a bad burn from a heating pad, so I haven’t wanted to use one.) I had the hot side in the 90s for a while, but he seems content with the mid 80s and spends a lot of time on the cool side when the enclosure is at that temperature, so I try to keep it in the mid 80s now. It got colder than that this week, hence my temperature concern. I have it at 89 now and will make sure it is warm before I feed him.
    Ok, so it sounds like you're not using a thermostat. Is that accurate? The CHE is fine, but it needs to be regulated by a thermostat.
    Likewise, a heat mat, when regulated by a thermostat, will not burn a snake.

He'll definitely avoid the warm side if it's in the 90s. That's too warm. I aim for 88-89 and never above 90
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 08-14-2020 at 02:36 PM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-14-2020),GoingPostal (08-14-2020),jmcrook (08-14-2020)

Thanks

I do not have a thermostat. I honestly didn’t know I was supposed to have one. Where would you recommend getting one?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deltagirl View Post
    I do not have a thermostat. I honestly didn’t know I was supposed to have one. Where would you recommend getting one?
    YES! It's a must...otherwise your BP will likely end up with burns, which is a serious health issue & will require the care of a competent herp vet. Best avoided, don't you think?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Banned
    Thanks
    Ok, I thought not. You can order off Amazon, some pet stores carry them, or if you want the Cadillac of thermostats you can look into Herpstat.

You definitely need to get one asap. Its literally the most important piece of equipment you can have. Not trying to be rude, but most caresheets mention a thermostat. Almost any research will lead you to a thermostat pretty quickly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast