Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,020

1 members and 3,019 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Advice on new BP

Hello all, kindly seeking advice on a new BP. Received a one month old (74 gm) baby BP last week. I have fed her twice with F/T hopper mice which readily took. On each feeding I also offered her F/T rat fuzzy first which she refused each time. Do I just continue giving her mice until she has some size on her or keep trying to switch to rats? My concern is that it may cause her stress and go off feeding which I do not want at this stage being she is a baby and new to her environment. Thanks for all answers and wisdom.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    Feed her what she'll take, especially since she's new. Your priority right now is to get her settled into a strong feeding routine, and there's no significant nutritional difference between mice and rats at this stage.

Once she's an established eater you can start trying some of the tricks folks will share here to help her transition over to rats - but really, it's not something you need to worry about right now.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-14-2020),dakski (08-13-2020),dr del (08-13-2020),Mr. Misha (08-13-2020)

Thanks

Re: Advice on new BP

Thank you for the advice

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    Feed her what she'll take, especially since she's new. Your priority right now is to get her settled into a strong feeding routine, and there's no significant nutritional difference between mice and rats at this stage.
    Best advise right here.

Once your BP is on large mice or multiple large mice, then start thinking about switching. I also second the strong feeding routine. Try to feed on the same day and you'll see that your BP will quickly learn his feeding day.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Misha View Post
    Best advise right here.

Once your BP is on large mice or multiple large mice, then start thinking about switching. I also second the strong feeding routine. Try to feed on the same day and you'll see that your BP will quickly learn his feeding day.
    I agree on sticking to mice for now, but larger than hoppers. Hoppers are primarily water and are only used for BPs first 3-5 meals.

However, I wholeheartedly disagree about feeding on a strict schedule. NONE of my snakes eat on a schedule. Why? Because they don't eat on a schedule in nature. They don't eat every week either. And guess what??? Both my BPs eat year round. Almost never refuse. Why? Because I feed when they're hungry, not on a schedule.

We can only do so much to mimic their natural surroundings, schedules, etc... And feeding on a strict schedule is not something snakes do. Most snakes are opportunistic eaters who only hunt if they're hungry. BPs definitely fit that description.

Also keep in mind weekly feeding leads to obese animals and food refusals. Many BPs we see in captivity are actually over weight.

Thanks

My 110g baby ball is on regular adult mice, and that seems just about right size-wise for her. She was 56g when I got her and on hoppers, but I moved her up to adults pretty soon, so she was eating adult mice by the time she reached the size of yours.

I didn't switch Ana Gwyn to rats until she was easily eating two large adult mice at a time and seemed like she could eat more, and she was over 200g at that point. As for switching, I got lucky and she didn't balk much at switching to rats, though she self-regulated from eating once a week to every other week once she switched. She also had a HUGE growth spurt right about that time, it's only been about 6 weeks since she switched and she's about 375g now. Dunno if that was the rats, or just timing!

ETA: I feed Tonks every Sunday, and Ana Gwyn every other Sunday. But that's more for my convenience, and I'll feed sooner if someone's hungry, or a few days later if someone isn't hungry on Sunday (well, if Ana Gwyn isn't hungry on Sunday. Tonks will eat anything and everything I offer her, whenever i offer it.)
    Last edited by OoohShiny; 08-16-2020 at 04:48 PM.