Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,113

0 members and 3,113 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    Update, I read up on the issue in other posts and apparently that's how it supposed to be, that you want it to read around 90 at the glass not the top of the substrate so, I should be good...? Also forgot to mention in the initial post but I did the sequence properly (heat pad, thermostat probe, tank glass).

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: (Semi) newbie here with many, MANY questions!

Yes. You want the bottom of the enclosure floor to read ~90°. As for your 70° ambient temperature, I’d advise getting that up another 8-10°.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Yes. You want the bottom of the enclosure floor to read ~90°. As for your 70° ambient temperature, I’d advise getting that up another 8-10°.

Suggestions on how do I go about that? I've heard 75-80 is optimal but I'm not sure what would help bump up the temperature. A weaker watt heat lamp perhaps? Though that'd kill the humidity (which I don't have readings on yet for the record as my hydrometer is undergoing salt testing until tomorrow).

EDIT: Did another reading now that my tinfoil panels (just cardboard strips wrapped in tinfoil) have been on top for a while, it bumped up the ambient temperature to the farthest cool side to 72-73.
    Last edited by Snagrio; 08-24-2020 at 12:06 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Insulate 3 exterior sides of the enclosure, additional heat sources for ambient temp, management, additional heat/less air conditioning in that room, etc.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Insulate 3 exterior sides of the enclosure, additional heat sources for ambient temp, management, additional heat/less air conditioning in that room, etc.

From what I've read I'll need to get a 100 watt CHE with its own thermostat (the latter of which hurts considering what I already spent on the current one, but I want to do this right so it's what it will take). I already have a lamp hood to use it with at least, just need to figure out how to hang it above the screen lid so the snake doesn't burn itself if it reaches the top.

Thanks
    Alright, so my hydrometer is ready, put the probe so it's hovering a little above the substrate. Percentage was off by a couple degrees from the salt test but I simply wrote down the difference (it's one that can't be adjusted). To my surprise when I put it in the tank the humidity was higher than expected, in the high 70's to low 80's in about the hour or so I've monitored it. It's been naturally humid here lately (though where I live conditions change drastically with the seasons) and the setup is in the basement, plus the coconut fiber and my aluminum foil panels.

For the record nothing's actually wet in the enclosure aside from the obvious water bowl (I'll change it out on the day when the snake arrives, just leaving it filled for now to gauge humidity levels). Though I'm certain the levels will go down once I install the CHE when it comes in tomorrow so I'll need to test and keep an eye on that. But for now my humidity levels look pretty nice.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Mr. Misha (08-24-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    Though I'm certain the levels will go down once I install the CHE when it comes in tomorrow so I'll need to test and keep an eye on that. But for now my humidity levels look pretty nice.
    Glad you were able to do the salt test and find out the % difference. Usually, it's not that drastic but definitely good to know.

Yes, the CHE will suck a lot of the humidity out but don't get too worried about that. If your BP is not in shed, the humidity isn't as important as the temps. Once you observe your BP going into shed, you can either bump the humidity by misting once a day with a spray bottle or you can create a humid hide with sphagnum moss. The moss will also act as an abrasive substance to help your BP shed.

And don't worry about losing that BP. Breeding season starts right about September so there's going to be a lot of BPs that are going to be available by the end of the year or early next year.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Misha View Post
    Glad you were able to do the salt test and find out the % difference. Usually, it's not that drastic but definitely good to know.

Yes, the CHE will suck a lot of the humidity out but don't get too worried about that. If your BP is not in shed, the humidity isn't as important as the temps. Once you observe your BP going into shed, you can either bump the humidity by misting once a day with a spray bottle or you can create a humid hide with sphagnum moss. The moss will also act as an abrasive substance to help your BP shed.

And don't worry about losing that BP. Breeding season starts right about September so there's going to be a lot of BPs that are going to be available by the end of the year or early next year.
    The humidity has risen to over 90% so that CHE will actually be doubly useful (but if it's still too humid even after I install it I can simply remove some of the aluminum panels as I had the foresight to cut them into separate pieces). Also forgot to mention that three of the tank walls have foam board for privacy and insulation (on the outside of course). And when I do need to bump it up I bought a dedicated spray bottle for that exact purpose.

And I already had a backup plan and am talking with the breeder from Dynasty Reptiles (who this forum has given their blessings) and he's been very responsive with my questions and provided current photos of the snake today (2 month old male banana that has quite a bit of orange on him). In fact as I was typing this I paid for him, but he's currently in shed so I requested that he be held until he sheds before shipping so he's not under as much stress from the trip, which works out perfectly since the CHE comes in on Wednesday. The breeder will alert me when he sheds and is ready to come home. So excited!

Also I cut a couple apple tree branches since I know males like to climb sometimes. Whittled down all the sharp points and stripped off any bark, sandpapered smooth, washed and are currently being baked for sterilization.

Thanks

Here are the pics of him the breeder sent me btw.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Snagrio; 08-24-2020 at 07:33 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Mr. Misha (08-24-2020)

Thanks

He's gorgeous! Congrats!

Once the substrate dries out the humidity will fall as well.

Sounds like your setup really came together. Once you get the CHE I'd recommend running that before he comes in so you can dial in the temps and you'll be all set!
    Last edited by Mr. Misha; 08-24-2020 at 07:45 PM.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast