Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 314

2 members and 312 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 03:30 AM.


» Today's Birthdays

djmnts (44)

» Stats

Members: 69,216
Threads: 243,659
Posts: 2,527,094
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, bekahwhy
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 105
  1. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-11-2020
    Posts
    83
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 24 Times in 19 Posts

    Re: (Semi) newbie here with many, MANY questions!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Misha View Post
    I have one of these that have decent reviews that are within your budget and they come with a probe. They're also made by Vivarium Electronics that make proportional thermostats that have been a good industry standard. I'm sure you can do some googling regarding people's opinions:
    https://www.reptilebasics.com/thermometers/TH-100/
    Ah. I actually saw that one in particular on a YT channel and thought it'd be a good fit, but the person who made the video messed up the link to it in the description so I couldn't find it. Thank you!

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

    Mr. Misha (08-14-2020)

  3. #22
    BPnet Senior Member Mr. Misha's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-16-2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,802
    Thanks
    477
    Thanked 853 Times in 626 Posts
    Images: 8

    Re: (Semi) newbie here with many, MANY questions!

    Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    Ah. I actually saw that one in particular on a YT channel and thought it'd be a good fit, but the person who made the video messed up the link to it in the description so I couldn't find it. Thank you!
    No worries.

    There are some complaints about humidity being off so maybe you can do a salt test on it and see if it's really off or not.

    Also, I did have to put a piece of folded paper in the battery tray to keep it more secure so there's definitely some kinks to work out.

    The reason I like hygrometers used for cigar humidors is because most electronic ones have adjustable humidity so in case you end up doing the salt test and humidity is off, you can make the necessary adjustments.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

  4. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-11-2020
    Posts
    83
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 24 Times in 19 Posts

    Re: (Semi) newbie here with many, MANY questions!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Misha View Post
    No worries.

    There are some complaints about humidity being off so maybe you can do a salt test on it and see if it's really off or not.

    Also, I did have to put a piece of folded paper in the battery tray to keep it more secure so there's definitely some kinks to work out.

    The reason I like hygrometers used for cigar humidors is because most electronic ones have adjustable humidity so in case you end up doing the salt test and humidity is off, you can make the necessary adjustments.
    I've heard of salt testing hydrometers, what does that mean?

  5. #24
    BPnet Senior Member Mr. Misha's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-16-2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,802
    Thanks
    477
    Thanked 853 Times in 626 Posts
    Images: 8

    Re: (Semi) newbie here with many, MANY questions!

    Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    I've heard of salt testing hydrometers, what does that mean?
    So with the salt test the hygrometer should ideally show 75% humidity. If it doesn't, you would know by how much the hygrometer is off or if it's adjustable, you'd calibrate it to 75%. I've only seem cigar hygrometer that can be adjusted. Unfortunately, I haven't seen ones for reptiles that can be calibrated.

    You can google salt test and there's multiple instructions on how to do it.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

  6. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-11-2020
    Posts
    83
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 24 Times in 19 Posts

    Re: (Semi) newbie here with many, MANY questions!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Misha View Post
    So with the salt test the hygrometer should ideally show 75% humidity. If it doesn't, you would know by how much the hygrometer is off or if it's adjustable, you'd calibrate it to 75%. I've only seem cigar hygrometer that can be adjusted. Unfortunately, I haven't seen ones for reptiles that can be calibrated.

    You can google salt test and there's multiple instructions on how to do it.
    I see. I'll do some research on that then, thanks again.

    EDIT: With that in mind, how does the cigar humidor that can be calibrated work in terms of putting it in enclosures since it doesn't have a probe and such?
    Last edited by Snagrio; 08-14-2020 at 07:51 PM.

  7. #26
    BPnet Senior Member Mr. Misha's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-16-2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,802
    Thanks
    477
    Thanked 853 Times in 626 Posts
    Images: 8

    Re: (Semi) newbie here with many, MANY questions!

    Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    EDIT: With that in mind, how does the cigar humidor that can be calibrated work in terms of putting it in enclosures since it doesn't have a probe and such?
    So you're not adjusting the humidor. Humidor is where you keep the cigars.

    Once hygrometer gauge is calibrated with the salt test, you can just put the whole gauge in the enclosure or mount it somewhere.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mr. Misha; 08-14-2020 at 08:31 PM.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

  8. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-11-2020
    Posts
    83
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 24 Times in 19 Posts

    Re: (Semi) newbie here with many, MANY questions!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Misha View Post
    So you're not adjusting the humidor. Humidor is where you keep the cigars.

    Once hygrometer gauge is calibrated with the salt test, you can just put the whole gauge in the enclosure or mount it somewhere.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Sorry, the hydrometer used for cigar humidors.

    Anyway, what I'm wondering is how to put it in the enclosure to where I can see it, but it won't get knocked over by the snake all the time?

  9. #28
    BPnet Senior Member Mr. Misha's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-16-2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,802
    Thanks
    477
    Thanked 853 Times in 626 Posts
    Images: 8

    Re: (Semi) newbie here with many, MANY questions!

    Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    what I'm wondering is how to put it in the enclosure to where I can see it, but it won't get knocked over by the snake all the time?
    Safest way would probably be to hot glue it somewhere but that might be an issue if you need to change the battery.

    I have one of mine on a velcro with a adhesive backing but that's not too recommended in case the adhesive comes off and gets stuck on your snake.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

  10. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-11-2020
    Posts
    83
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 24 Times in 19 Posts

    Re: (Semi) newbie here with many, MANY questions!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Misha View Post
    Safest way would probably be to hot glue it somewhere but that might be an issue if you need to change the battery.

    I have one of mine on a velcro with a adhesive backing but that's not too recommended in case the adhesive comes off and gets stuck on your snake.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I think at this point I'll try my luck with the probe one you linked me then. What's a recommend place to put the probe for accurate readings?

  11. #30
    BPnet Senior Member Mr. Misha's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-16-2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,802
    Thanks
    477
    Thanked 853 Times in 626 Posts
    Images: 8

    Re: (Semi) newbie here with many, MANY questions!

    Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    I think at this point I'll try my luck with the probe one you linked me then. What's a recommend place to put the probe for accurate readings?
    I'd put it right on the substrate and see how it goes. Even if your BP moves it, it's not a big deal because it doesn't control anything, like a thermostat would. Or you can suspend it down and let it hang almost touching the bottom and then tape it on the outside of the terrarium so it doesn't drop down further. Kinda like this:

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mr. Misha; 08-14-2020 at 11:43 PM.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1