Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,531

1 members and 1,530 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

Re: (Semi) newbie here with many, MANY questions!

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    That all sounds fascinating .,

You should start a new thread showing your progress and purchases .. like a visual diary we could all share. ?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Probably can do that. This thread's effectively become an update thing rather than asking questions. I'll start a new one in the general BP section sometime today.

Also forgot to start one on the aquarium project, need to get on that.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Snagrio; 02-11-2021 at 05:54 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (02-11-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

(Semi) newbie here with many, MANY questions!

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    Probably can do that. This thread's effectively become an update thing rather than asking questions. I'll start a new one in the general BP section sometime today.

Also forgot to start one on the aquarium project, need to get on that.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Sounds like a plan !!

Being a business you could also put the updates and photos on Instagram/ YouTube and TikTok accounts to advertise yourself ...

Copy and paste everything..

Last edited by Zincubus; 02-11-2021 at 06:33 PM.

Thanks

Sounds like a plan !!

Being a business you could also put the updates and photos on Instagram/ YouTube and TikTok accounts to advertise yourself ...

Copy and paste everything..

Oh it's not a literal business, I meant in the context of "Finishing this task" kind of business as it's a tank setup I've been working on for a couple months. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks

Oh it's not a literal business, I meant in the context of "Finishing this task" kind of business as it's a tank setup I've been working on for a couple months. Sorry for the confusion.
    No worries.. you mentioned ‘aquarium business’ and I take things too literally .. it’s part of my Aspergers..

Thanks

No worries.. you mentioned ‘aquarium business’ and I take things too literally .. it’s part of my Aspergers..

A fellow aspey eh? I get exactly where you're coming from then, have it as well and have the exact same "take everything literally" issue.

Thanks

A fellow aspey eh? I get exactly where you're coming from then, have it as well and have the exact same "take everything literally" issue.
    Nice

It has it’s drawbacks but it’s positives far out-way the negatives imho

Thanks
    Resurrecting this thread since I've got several questions/rants that it'd be easier to just put them all in here.

Firstly, I got new hides from Reptile Basics and, they don't fit the way I expected them to. They only fit longways as the tank isn't wide enough, which means there would be barely any room in the enclosure left after they go in so I've left everything as is for now since the way the UTH is set up means the warm hide would only be somewhat over it.

Secondly, I looked in two hardware stores and two pet stores and could not find coconut husk for the life of me. Several YT videos I watched said you could just buy bags of the stuff at a home improvement store for a lot cheaper, apparently not. Guess I'll just have to order a bag of Reptichip online...

And finally, I did some measurements and I think I'll have to buy a new plastic tub altogether because the one that came with the subpar enclosure I got (which I've since managed to resell) is smaller than the 30 gallon he's already in. The tank's 36"x13"17" and the tub's 27"x16"x13" so he loses height (which he never really uses granted) and length for a mere few inches of width.

In short, what I think I'm gonna have to do is get bigger plastic tote, another, better thermometer/hydrometer (the Grovee brand looks good) and another pair of thermostats. Possibly a bigger UTH too.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts
    Hides: um, good idea to check measurements before you order hides- R.B. gives you the dimensions, but they cannot force you to double-check what you're ordering.

Coco. husk: I've never seen it in a hardware store, other than maybe in garden section, but it might not be safe (ie. without contamination) for pets. I'm surprised your local pet stores don't carry it, but if they did, it wouldn't be cheaper there. Have you tried online suppliers such as Chewy.com or Petco.com? Pretty sure even Reptile Basics sells it? https://www.reptilebasics.com/substrate

(I have bought huge bags of orchid bark from a florist supply, & also a plant nursery, but these places may or may not know whether it's safe for your use with pets. Reading actual packages might help, if it's well-labeled.)
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Yeah I know, another mistake... I don't know why I didn't bother to measure the dimensions of the hides to the tank width. But it's becoming obvious he needs to move to something bigger anyway so at the absolute worst, he just has to keep using the log hides a little while longer.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts

Yeah I know, another mistake... I don't know why I didn't bother to measure the dimensions of the hides to the tank width. But it's becoming obvious he needs to move to something bigger anyway so at the absolute worst, he just has to keep using the log hides a little while longer.
    Just excited & eager to get going, but yeah, you need to be less impulsive, otherwise "when you decide in haste, you're likely to regret at leisure".

But you can also modify clean cardboard boxes (even cardboard oatmeal cartons) to use for hides in the meantime, & just toss them when they get wet or dirty. Snakes don't care what it's made of, they just care that hides give them privacy. I use a box-cutter to cut doorways in cardboard all the time. Most of my snakes have permanent hides, but some are using cardboard for various reasons, & with no "complaints" btw. They may not look as nice but you can't beat the price- free! Some people also modify plastic bowls or plant pots for use as hides too. And with minimal skills you can make them out of wood & various other materials too.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (04-19-2021),Hugsplox (04-19-2021)

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223 LastLast