Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,187

1 members and 2,186 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

Re: (Semi) newbie here with many, MANY questions!

Quote Originally Posted by hilabeans View Post
    Get a plastic bowl or Tupperware tub of soaked sphagnum moss and put it in the enclosure. I keep a tub of soaked moss under my Radiant Heat Panel and that moisture evaporates and raises the humidity throughout the entire enclosure. Your substrate stays dry so no concerns of scale rot. You'll just have to re-soak the moss every few days as it dries out.
    That's exactly what I've been doing actually. But the ambient humidity percentage tanks to the 30's if the Tupperware full of moss is the only thing I dampen. Though would he be okay if I did that instead of constantly soaking the substrate since he always has the option to enter a dedicated moist space? He only really seemed to use it when he entered his shed cycle so it seems like the lower humidity levels don't bother him much.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    That's exactly what I've been doing actually. But the ambient humidity percentage tanks to the 30's if the Tupperware full of moss is the only thing I dampen. Though would he be okay if I did that instead of constantly soaking the substrate since he always has the option to enter a dedicated moist space? He only really seemed to use it when he entered his shed cycle so it seems like the lower humidity levels don't bother him much.
    That's what I do for my Aussie spotted python (apparently mostly a coast species). Her cage & overall substrate is dry, but she has a large humid (& semi-warmed) hide with damp moss- she loves it & when she's shedding, she NEEDS it to shed perfectly. But she uses her other 2 hides also, at various times when it suits her. (one cool, one heated) I could be wrong, but I don't think that BPs in the wild (in Africa) have a constantly moist or humid substrate either. As long as your BP has the option, I don't think the lower overall humidity is an issue.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-11-2020 at 09:50 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    That's what I do for my Aussie spotted python (apparently mostly a coast species). Her cage & overall substrate is dry, but she has a large humid (& semi-warmed) hide with damp moss- she loves it & when she's shedding, she NEEDS it to shed perfectly. But she uses her other 2 hides also, at various times when it suits her. (one cool, one heated) I could be wrong, but I don't think that BPs in the wild (in Africa) have a constantly moist or humid substrate either. As long as your BP has the option, I don't think the lower overall humidity is an issue.
    Sounds good then. Was worried since everyone says 60% is the benchmark but as long as he has the option for damper quarters it should be okay.

And by some point next year he'll have a PCV home that's more stable humidity-wise so he won't be living in such conditions forever either.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts

Sounds good then. Was worried since everyone says 60% is the benchmark but as long as he has the option for damper quarters it should be okay.

And by some point next year he'll have a PCV home that's more stable humidity-wise so he won't be living in such conditions forever either.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    I think you'll be ok- too much dampness (that they can't avoid) can promote skin infections too (like fungal infections, that "like" it warm & moist). It's hard to get all the options right for a captive snake that wants "some" humidity. I would pay attention though, like if your snake spends all their time in the humid hide?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I think you'll be ok- too much dampness (that they can't avoid) can promote skin infections too (like fungal infections, that "like" it warm & moist). It's hard to get all the options right for a captive snake that wants "some" humidity. I would pay attention though, like if your snake spends all their time in the humid hide?
    Yeah, if he starts to do that and isn't in shed then it'll be cause for concern, but thus far he's been more than content to remain in his hide.

Thanks

To start off, I currently have an empty 30 gallon tank (36"X12"X16") that's already on a nice cabinet stand and everything. It's for fish so the lid would have to be replaced, but the question is should I even bother or go straight for a recommended 40 gallon breeder that's both easier to access (since it's shorter) and offers more floor space that ball pythons enjoy. Or should I start with that if I get a baby and upgrade later since I've heard conflicting messaging in terms of "too much space" when snakes are young?

Seems way too big for a baby snake.
    This what I had whilst mine was young.
    Used it for about six/seven months then got a 3½ foot viv. Big enough for him to completely stretch himself out once he’s reached 'full size'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MuicyJelon View Post
    Seems way too big for a baby snake.
    This what I had whilst mine was young.
    Used it for about six/seven months then got a 3½ foot viv. Big enough for him to completely stretch himself out once he’s reached 'full size'.

I filled the tank with decor to compensate, don't worry. I've monitored him closely and he's perfectly comfortable (I've seen what he looks like when stressed and it's only happened a couple times over new circumstances like when I put moss in his hide which he did not like). He'll get a T8 sometime next year as his permanent home at any rate.

Speaking of growth though, weighed him today and he's past 200 grams (212 to be exact). Once he's down to his last couple mice I'll get some small rats and see about switching him to those. Plan to try scenting them with a mouse to ease him over, but with how voracious his appetite is I don't think it'll be a problem.

Thanks

I filled the tank with decor to compensate, don't worry. I've monitored him closely and he's perfectly comfortable (I've seen what he looks like when stressed and it's only happened a couple times over new circumstances like when I put moss in his hide which he did not like). He'll get a T8 sometime next year as his permanent home at any rate.

Speaking of growth though, weighed him today and he's past 200 grams (212 to be exact). Once he's down to his last couple mice I'll get some small rats and see about switching him to those. Plan to try scenting them with a mouse to ease him over, but with how voracious his appetite is I don't think it'll be a problem.
    Great stuff.
    Only had mine for 2 years but it’s always helpful to come on here to ask questions, etc. It looks as though the snake you’ve got is the same morph as mine those colours will start to 'pop' after a few sheds.
    Will give my opinions on some of the other things you’ve said as well, had forgotten about this thread.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MuicyJelon View Post
    Great stuff.
    Only had mine for 2 years but it’s always helpful to come on here to ask questions, etc. It looks as though the snake you’ve got is the same morph as mine those colours will start to 'pop' after a few sheds.
    Will give my opinions on some of the other things you’ve said as well, had forgotten about this thread.

I’ve just checked and it’s not a 3 1/2 ft viv it’s a 2.8ft viv. Lol. At some point in the future I’ll be getting the maxi-medium viv which’s a bit deeper so he’s got more space to roam about.

Thanks

Next is location and humidity. Where I live the weather conditions change frequently with the seasons (and even by the week/day sometimes) so I've been thinking of putting the enclosure in the basement where it's more stable (the basement is a finished one and I'm down here a lot by default). Would that be ideal? For reference I plan on using coconut fiber substrate since from what I've heard it strikes a nice balance of retaining humidity while not absorbing it too much and rotting, plus its visual appeal and safety if ingested on accident (as I'd like to do in-tank feeding, did out of tank feeding last time and would rather not again if possible).

Then there's heating. Going to do a UTH, but then my question comes with lighting. I know ball pythons don't necessarily need it, but given mine will probably be living in the basement I'd like to give it light so it can have a proper day/night cycle. But with heating already covered, does that mean I can simply do something like attach a regular lightbulb to a lamp so it doesn't add too much heat? Or would that be too much still? Also, I've read that if you want more humidity you should put the water bowl over the UTH (I am aware you keep the UTH itself outside the tank though). Is that a good idea? Does it evaporate the water too fast or make the water too hot?
    Mine is kept in my bedroom which’s in the loft, it can get cold up here especially in winter (Liverpool), right now the outside temp is about 5°C during daytime it’s been around 9°C BUT I have a oil heater which’s great and will bring the temperature up quickly and with ease plus it’ll cost less than a normal heater when it comes to the electric bill even it’s on the highest setting. If you’re putting your snake in your basement I doubt you’ll need it.

The substrate I use is the zoo med eco-earth & Forrest floor, it’s safe and great for holding humidity as well especially during a shed. Usually if I have them I will put in some leaves that’ve been naturally harvested and dried.

I use a RHP (radiant heat panel) that’s on the ceiling of the viv with a guard as well to prevent burns, and two heat mats which have covers over them for my heating, one mat on the cool side set at a lower temp than the one on the warm/hot side, *if* you get a viv don’t put the mats on the outside under the viv, the heat will not get through just put a guard over it
    . I also put newspaper down as well over heat mat covers just to be safe, then I put the substrate on top of that. All connected to a thermostat btw.
    When I first moved him to the viv I used a ceramic heat bulb with a cylindrical guard, unfortunately he was fond of coiling around it which I wasn’t pleased with which’s why I switched to the RHP which’s great at keeping a stable ambient temp and they can’t wrap themselves around it.
    On lighting I use white Python leds which are very good. If you wanted to you could have two colours set up for it, I just use the standard white ones though in the past I have used both white and green. These are set on a timer as well to turn off at a certain time in the evening & turn on in the morning.
    On the placement of the water bowl, imo you could see what the humidity’s like with the bowl on the cooler before side you make a decision on it. Personally mines just in the middle of the viv.

Here’s what I use:

Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast