Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,894

2 members and 2,892 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Re: (Semi) newbie here with many, MANY questions!

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    Nah, knew to avoid those like the plague lol. Mine's a Zoo Med digital thermometer/humidity gauge with probes.
    Nice one..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    Took him out for his first handling session today and it went swell, posted some pics of it in the pictures thread. I've forgotten just how smooth snakes feel, especially when they move across your skin. His banana speckles are driving me nuts as I predicted though, keep double and triple checking them over to make 110% sure they aren't mites (though I know to check under his mouth and the vent area, so he's definitely clean).

Thanks
    Found his first poop and it looked normal so all is well there (took me a while to actually find it but I could smell it well before then lol, at least he had the courtesy to poop on the fake leaves so it was an easy clean). Also handled him for a little while since I already had to prod around in his enclosure. Very sweet little guy, hasn't so much as glared at me once and is getting used to being on my hand already.

However now that he's gotten comfortable and is being more active in his enclosure at night, I've noticed a problem. He's been moving the probes around since he likes to climb up on their suction cups about as much as he enjoys the sticks I set up for him, and I can see that becoming a problem where say, the probe that's tied to the CHE's thermostat gets moved so the temperature gets wonky. Any ideas on how to keep them from being shoved out of place?

Thanks

You can hot glue the probe so it doesn't move.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Misha For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (09-23-2020)

Thanks
    Welp, another lesson learned. The humidity levels dipped into the 30's so I broke out the moss (was originally going to wait until the setup needed to be cleaned but the sudden onset of chilly, dry weather forced my hand), and just like with the coconut fiber I needed only half of what I prepared and so I set the rest out the dry so I can store it for later. Also put in a humidity box with more moss to see if he'll use it.

He doesn't seem to like the moss all that much though. I mixed it into the substrate and he's kinda haphazardly staying halfway inside his hide of choice unlike how he's normally fully inside during the day. I'll leave things be for now but if it stresses him out too much I'll clear some of it out.

That said I'm getting worried about what I'm going to do when he goes into shed. Despite all my efforts the humidity's still reading out at 40-50% 24 hours after adding the moss. Lower than the recommended 60% (but still acceptable) and a far cry from the 80% required for a good shed. I guess I either have to hope he figures out the humidity box when the time comes or I have to spray the enclosure like crazy (the CHE saps moisture very quickly) when he goes blue.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Misha View Post
    You can hot glue the probe so it doesn't move.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Excellent tip !!!

The hot glue guns are great for fixing branches , wires fake foliage in the viv .
    The glue is kinda semi permanent

It stays ‘put’ as long as you like but it’s easy enough to pull it or cut it away GENTLY..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    I can now most assuredly confirm that Zebes does NOT like moss in his hide, at all. Checked on him this afternoon and he was in his other hide on the cool side (which he just about never uses) and it was very obvious the poor guy was stressed. Halfway out the hide, clearly awake and in a frightened, glaring S-pose. I promptly moved all the moss out from under his other hide and my back was barely turned after re-securing the lid that I saw he had scurried back across the enclosure and curled up completely inside it like he normally does.

Guess I found one of his first quirks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts

Poor guy! Glad you are so attentive to him - I'm sure he's more comfortable now. For a couple of my snakes that don't like moss mixed in with their substrate, I just put a bowl of damp moss into the enclosure to help maintain humidity, and/or add a second water bowl and/or add a potted plant or two (something sturdy like Pothos). Any one of, or combination of, those things has helped bump and maintain humidity for me.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    Poor guy! Glad you are so attentive to him - I'm sure he's more comfortable now. For a couple of my snakes that don't like moss mixed in with their substrate, I just put a bowl of damp moss into the enclosure to help maintain humidity, and/or add a second water bowl and/or add a potted plant or two (something sturdy like Pothos). Any one of, or combination of, those things has helped bump and maintain humidity for me.
    On the bright side, I think the little episode showed him the other hide even exists in the first place, as I've never seen him use it before then. Now he's started to alternate between the two.

The moss itself doesn't seem to bother him from what I can tell, he just really didn't like the stuff being in his hide.

Thanks
    Little update:

Moved the enclosure about a couple feet sideways from the TV and placed a table with shelves between them. He didn't seemed bothered from it in the first place but I did it anyway just to be on the safe side. Also hot glued the probe wires in key locations and they've finally stopped being jostled around so that's nice.

Meanwhile however, I'm continually struggling with humidity (40% on average), especially lately with the onset of autumn, but I leave a humidity box in his enclosure at all times and do mistings to do what I can. Still lowkey dreading his first shed though.

Also I've noticed he has a tiny vertical scratch line on his belly scales. Not really sure where he got it since I made absolutely certain there was nothing dangerous in his home, but the scratch is so small (you have to put it right in front of your face to notice it whatsoever) and he looks perfectly fine otherwise so I don't think it's anything serious. Would've gotten a pic but I forgot to do it before I fed him today and I obviously don't want to disturb him.

Speaking of, Zebes has been doing fantastically on that front. My boy is a tenacious eater and seems to know when feeding day is now. In this instance I saw him poke his head out of his hide and flick his tongue excitedly before I even got the tank screen off. I've also done tap training of sorts and give a couple gentle taps on his hide with my finger whenever I bring him out to handle so he knows my intentions. Has never even tried to bite me and has gotten more and more relaxed in my hands, he's such a sweetie.

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast