Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,859

1 members and 2,858 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

Re: (Semi) newbie here with many, MANY questions!

Quote Originally Posted by SushiRoll View Post
    What kind of substrate are you using? I use a weird combo of ecoearth, cypress mulch, sphagnum moss and some coconut husk. It holds humidity pretty decently for me.
    Coconut fiber, about 2 inches deep. Didn't want to use that much but one brick wasn't enough so I used two. I'm sure sphagnum moss will help once I get some though. Should I mix it in with the fiber or scatter it around the surface?

Also did some tinkering and got the clamps to go over the foil panels so they're more flush, but it didn't make much of a difference by now.

Thanks

Two inches seems like a lot of substrate. Next time consider using a bit less.

In regards to the humidity, don't stress yourself out unless your BP is shedding. If it's staying at 40-60%, you're fine. Once you see him dull out, then throw some damp moss into his hide and spray as needed.

I also wanted to touch base regarding the tv. Just make sure that the tv isn't right next to his enclosure especially since he can feel the sound vibration.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Misha View Post
    Two inches seems like a lot of substrate. Next time consider using a bit less.

In regards to the humidity, don't stress yourself out unless your BP is shedding. If it's staying at 40-60%, you're fine. Once you see him dull out, then throw some damp moss into his hide and spray as needed.

I also wanted to touch base regarding the tv. Just make sure that the tv isn't right next to his enclosure especially since he can feel the sound vibration.

Agreed, like I said the one brick I used didn't even cover the bottom fully so I used another whole brick. Next time I'll just need to use one and a half or so to split the difference.

And I do have a container ready to make a humidity box with. Should I hold off and only provide it when he next goes into shed or do it now anyway so he has the option if he wants more moisture?

Also going to need to figure out placements again it seems. The TV is unfortunately right next to the setup so wires can reach the outlet (plus I put the thermostats on the side shelves so I can see the numbers at a glance).

As for a final question, it's feeding day but considering it's been two weeks since his last meal, I'm wondering if I should take the opportunity to try and get him to take f/t when he's at his hungriest, or not risk it and just give him the live he's used to just to get something in him. I could get live and frozen at the same time and try the latter, but then if he does take the frozen then I'm kinda just awkwardly left with a live rodent...

Thanks
    I have excellent news! So, about the only store remotely close by that had live rodents didn't have any small mice so I decided to try my luck with frozen. Got home, set one out for an hour and a half or so, then warmed it in hot water (while in a ziplock bag) for 10 minutes, gave a quick blast from a hair drier, then offered. At first I spooked him because I dropped the tongs (I got regular dollar store ones, need to get an actual pair because they're too big and clunky) so I instead gingerly used my hand just this once.

He INSTANTLY grabbed the mouse. He was so fast my heart skipped a beat.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (09-12-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Excellent news ... I always say .. blast with a hairdryer- offer instantly- don’t blink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (09-12-2020)

Thanks
    Beginning to wonder if my hydrometer is faulty or not. Seems like it fluctuates between the 40's and 50's in humidity percentage every time I look at it, unless that's just from the CHE going on and off so the humidity rises and falls with it? Half of the water bowl is located under the bulb so that might also be why the readings are strange as the bulb slowly evaporates the water.

I do know the temperature readings on it are sound at least, matches my temp gun competently enough.

Thanks

That's awesome, congrats! At least feeding is going to get easier.

The change in humidity might be due to the CHE.

0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Misha For This Useful Post:

Snagrio (09-13-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    Beginning to wonder if my hydrometer is faulty or not. Seems like it fluctuates between the 40's and 50's in humidity percentage every time I look at it, unless that's just from the CHE going on and off so the humidity rises and falls with it? Half of the water bowl is located under the bulb so that might also be why the readings are strange as the bulb slowly evaporates the water.

I do know the temperature readings on it are sound at least, matches my temp gun competently enough.
    It’s not one of those plastic stick on hygrometers is it - as they’re simply useless..?

Thanks
    Just ordered proper feeding tongs and a brick of sphagnum moss. About the last things left are to move his enclosure farther away from the TV (will probably need another piece of furniture between them to shelve the thermostats) but I'm waiting until he's finished digesting due to all the inevitable jostling involved, and something about ambient daytime lighting so you can actually see the enclosure that I'm still at a loss about. Between the foil panels, the lift-up style of the lid (sadly not the horizontal sliding type), the clamps and the CHE hanging right above it there's not really anywhere to fit LEDs or the like.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    It’s not one of those plastic stick on hygrometers is it - as they’re simply useless..?

Nah, knew to avoid those like the plague lol. Mine's a Zoo Med digital thermometer/humidity gauge with probes.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (09-13-2020)

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast