Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,982

2 members and 2,980 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    Think I've found a decent solution for the humidity problem. Misting was doing next to nothing and the humidity would dive back into the 30's right afterwards so I tried gently pouring a cup's worth of warm water around certain spots of the tank so it'd soak into the coconut fiber (while still leaving plenty of dry places so he doesn't risk getting scale rot, and I didn't use too much that it'd pool at the bottom or anything).

The humidity as a result has bumped back up into the 50's and has remained there even after several hours. So I think as long as I periodically water the substrate enough to maintain a "reservoir" of moisture things should be good, and all I'd have to do for shed time is be more liberal with how much water I use for the coco fiber to absorb along with misting.

Thanks
    Don't think I'll ever have feeding issues with Zebes. Every meal he's getting more and more brazen to the point where today he craned halfway up the tank wall in anticipation before I could even lower the mouse down.

Even with that though he's been the perfect model of ball python temperament otherwise. Took him out earlier on the same day and he showed no signs of feeding aggression, it's only when he knows it's dinner time. Though I still tap his log hide every time I take him out for routine's sake.

Thanks

Re: (Semi) newbie here with many, MANY questions!

So, I have some concerns. First of which, I fear he may have scale rot according to these images I took. The little brown line between the two black dots has been there for a while but the one on the yellow spot is more recent I think. His belly scales (where scale rot tends to manifest most often) are completely normal though. And no I'm certain they aren't just more of his maturing banana spots either as they're brown and have a "rusty" look to them.

Furthermore it's been over two months since his last shed (which was before he even left the breeder). Thought he would've at least entered the cycle by now. The most I've seen is that he's utilized his humidity box a few times.

And finally, he's 4 months old and according to a weighing I did a couple days ago he's 148 grams. Seems a bit small for his age but he looks fine otherwise, plump but not fat.

In general despite my concerns he's been doing quite well. Eats with great enthusiasm and spends most of the time lounging in his hide as a happy BP should and I've kept all parameters stable.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

First, those look like speckles/freckles, etc. to me. Not a vet or expert on scale rot, but I've seen pictures, and it looks nasty and generally covers an area, not distinct spots, from what I've seen.

I'll let others chime in here on the above, but some morphs tend to get these speckles/freckles more than others. They look almost exactly like the speckling my BI's get, especially my VPI T+ Sunglow.

Secondly, he will shed when he's ready.

Finally, if he's healthy and happy, do not worry about his weight versus other BP's. They all grow at their own pace.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

JRLongton (11-09-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    First, those look like speckles/freckles, etc. to me. Not a vet or expert on scale rot, but I've seen pictures, and it looks nasty and generally covers an area, not distinct spots, from what I've seen.

I'll let others chime in here on the above, but some morphs tend to get these speckles/freckles more than others. They look almost exactly like the speckling my BI's get, especially my VPI T+ Sunglow.

Secondly, he will shed when he's ready.

Finally, if he's healthy and happy, do not worry about his weight versus other BP's. They all grow at their own pace.
    Yep. Banana Ball Pythons are named as such not only because they are more yellow, but also because they develop spots as they age... like a banana...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

dakski (11-02-2020),Spicey (11-02-2020)

Thanks
    I'm well aware of the spots tied to the banana morph, I'm just suspicious of the particular ones pictured since they look different.

Though if he's otherwise acting normal and eating heartily and my husbandry is up to snuff I don't have anything to worry about I suppose.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Good picture of freckles on a Banana BP.

Scale Rot

Scale rot is usually on the belly, causes raised and blistered scales, and is generally caused by poor husbandry and can be made worse by vitamin deficiency.

I do not think your BP has scale rot.

Thanks
    He's finally entered a shed cycle, deep blue and all (suspected so as he suddenly hunkered down in his humidity box for roughly 3 days straight). I've been doing everything I can to keep humidity up and have been leaving him alone as much as possible.

Only took him out for maintenance (he pooped in the humidity box) and one other brief handling session since it was a rare visit from extended family members who had been wanting to meet him ever since he arrived but haven't been able to since, you know, 2020.

Fingers crossed his first shed with me goes well.

Thanks

Ah, first snake stress. Fears of scale rot, humidity, temps, why isn't he shedding worry, worry, worry. I remember that. In fact I still go through it whenever I get a new addition! Snake keeping is a practice. Do your research, read, ask questions, but at the end of the day your own experience will be the best teacher. It sounds like your off to a strong start.

Looking over your thread, you're set up for a long hard fight with humidity. The aquarium/CHE combo will hamper you at every turn. My balls have shed issues if humidity is less than 65% or so. I have a BEL who will have a bad shed in anything less than 75%. As a solution, when I see their eyes cloud over I create a micro-climate monsoon season, it practically rains in the terrarium until I get a shed skin. You obviously can't achieve this with a glass aquarium but there are steps you can take. Somebody above suggested a humidity box, which can do wonders. Get a small opaque Tupperware container, big enough for the snake to have a tight fit, cut a smallish hole, just big enough to allow tight access, layer damp sphagnum moss inside and place it on the warm side. If you don't like sphagnum moss, you could use some damp coconut substrate. It might be a little late now as the BP is already in blue and most snakes don't like new things, but maybe worth a try.

Since the BP is already going into blue, be prepared for him to clear up rather quickly. They only look blue for a day or two, then return to normal and look better than ever! Lots of first time keepers make the mistake of thinking they missed the shed. It can take up to a week for the entire process to play out. Keep the terrarium humidity as high as you can until there's a shed in hand. Since you are having so much difficulty with humidity, keep and eye and consider that the shed may not go perfectly. It's not a crisis if it doesn't, and any stuck shed can be addressed. When my BEL shed for the first time all she got off was her head, the rest was fully retained. I was horrified, but after 20 minutes in a lukewarm bath (water was 80 F) I was able to assist the shed and it came off. She then pooped on my hands by way of thanks.

Try not to stress too much and enjoy that gorgeous animal. Bananas are a great morph and tend to age very well. Keep posting your progress, and enjoy your snake!
    \m/

Thanks

He does have a humidity box exactly as you described (sizable lidded tupperware with a hole cut out and damp sphagnum moss within) and he's been using it quite liberally.

As for keeping the humidity up I've resorted to literally just sprinkling entire cups of warm water throughout the enclosure whenever the readings dip into the 60's. The substrate is a coconut fiber and sphagnum moss mix so I'm no worried about mold and rot but I plan to completely clean everything out after his shed is done anyway.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

JRLongton (11-09-2020)

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast