Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,782

5 members and 2,777 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

Re: (Semi) newbie here with many, MANY questions!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Just excited & eager to get going, but yeah, you need to be less impulsive, otherwise "when you decide in haste, you're likely to regret at leisure".

But you can also modify clean cardboard boxes (even cardboard oatmeal cartons) to use for hides in the meantime, & just toss them when they get wet or dirty. Snakes don't care what it's made of, they just care that hides give them privacy. I use a box-cutter to cut doorways in cardboard all the time. Most of my snakes have permanent hides, but some are using cardboard for various reasons, & with no "complaints" btw. They may not look as nice but you can't beat the price- free! Some people also modify plastic bowls or plant pots for use as hides too. And with minimal skills you can make them out of wood & various other materials too.
    I'd like to think I'm not terribly impulsive... It's not something I did on a whim, I've been carefully considering new hides for a while, I simply messed up a crucial step. In fact while running around the stores I held off buying a number of things that I knew I didn't immediately need when more pressing supplies would be needed.

I did nearly get some pick up some plastic containers at the dollar store though, but I remembered my previous attempts to make holes in such things before which went horribly... Really need a blowtorch or something because every time I tried cutting out an entry hole I'd always get uncomfortable with how sharp the edges would turn out.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post

I did nearly get some pick up some plastic containers at the dollar store though, but I remembered my previous attempts to make holes in such things before which went horribly... Really need a blowtorch or something because every time I tried cutting out an entry hole I'd always get uncomfortable with how sharp the edges would turn out.
    Easiest way to cut/modify & smooth edges /or put holes in plastic is with a cheap (about $10 or less) soldering iron, like this (just random example). The only thing though is that plastic off-gases toxic smoke that you must not breathe, so ONLY do this outside on a porch or in the garage where it can be aired out.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-19-2021 at 10:43 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Spicey (04-19-2021)

Thanks

Easiest way to cut/modify & smooth edges /or put holes in plastic is with a cheap (about $10 or less) soldering iron, like this (just random example). The only thing though is that plastic off-gases toxic smoke that you must not breathe, so ONLY do this outside on a porch or in the garage where it can be aired out.
    That's what I use, too. And I snap off the strings of plastic that always happen, although I've seen people who don't worry about it.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-19-2021 at 10:44 PM. Reason: fixed my quote
    "Something Clever"

1.0 Paradox Albino KSB - Spotticus
    0.1 Dutch Rabbit - Wendy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Spicey For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-19-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    And Snagrio, this is how people put all those little ventilation holes in plastic totes they use to brumate their snakes in. You can use it to smooth (melt) the rough edges.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

And Snagrio, this is how people put all those little ventilation holes in plastic totes they use to brumate their snakes in. You can use it to smooth (melt) the rough edges.
    Oh. I simply drilled holes from the inside outwards for the container I put him in when I do cleaning (that way the "shrapnel" only faces outwards). Would certainly make doing that a lot easier when I need to make holes for bigger totes.

Thanks
    A nail file or sandpaper can also be used to soften the rough edges, not to point out the obvious or anything.
    "Something Clever"

1.0 Paradox Albino KSB - Spotticus
    0.1 Dutch Rabbit - Wendy

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Spicey For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-20-2021)

Thanks

Hey. Been a long time. Haven't posted here since, well, I've been very sick for nearly a month now. Viral infection similar to mono (fevers and extreme fatigue for the most part).

As a result my husbandry has taken a hit and Zebra had a terrible shed a couple days ago. Bits and pieces everywhere and stuck shed in several places. Managed to get most of it off but there's still a little bit on the neck and on top of the head I couldn't manage to comfortably remove, so I'm just keeping his enclosure more moist than usual and hoping that helps.

His T10 should also be entering the production line at some point soon. Got charged for the pro products heat panel recently which means it's been shipped over to their facility I'm guessing.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,179 Times in 1,175 Posts

First of all you should make sure a ball python is the right pet for you. Many species of snake are commonly kept as pets and they all have different characteristics. Do your research to find the perfect pet snake for you. If you don't have enough money to get the snake you want, wait and save. It's a big commitment. Snakes can live a long time. You don't want to spend that time regretting your decision.

As for your other questions, I'll just share my limited experience. I purchased by adult male normal ball python (1320 grams) for $40 at an expo. The ambient temp in his room is 75 degrees. I kept him in a plastic sweater box with an under the tank heater (UTH). No additional lighting and newspaper for substrate. After a year, he started pushing, so I built him a 3x2x2 plywood enclosure. The enclosure is divided in two. The upper part is a terrarium with a glass front and repti-carpet for substrate. The lower part is a tub heated with a UTH. Newspaper for substrate. I recently bought a radiant heat panel for the terrarium because the ambient temp dips slightly below 75 degrees in the Spring and Fall and I want to encourage him to use the terrarium more.

The point of sharing all that was to say that you'll have to try different things to see what works for you. This site has a good care guide if you haven't consulted it yet.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (06-18-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,179 Times in 1,175 Posts

I should say that the first UTH I used was too small. My ball python developed a slight respiratory infection. I got a larger one and he hasn't had any health issues since.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    First of all you should make sure a ball python is the right pet for you. Many species of snake are commonly kept as pets and they all have different characteristics. Do your research to find the perfect pet snake for you. If you don't have enough money to get the snake you want, wait and save. It's a big commitment. Snakes can live a long time. You don't want to spend that time regretting your decision.

As for your other questions, I'll just share my limited experience. I purchased by adult male normal ball python (1320 grams) for $40 at an expo. The ambient temp in his room is 75 degrees. I kept him in a plastic sweater box with an under the tank heater (UTH). No additional lighting and newspaper for substrate. After a year, he started pushing, so I built him a 3x2x2 plywood enclosure. The enclosure is divided in two. The upper part is a terrarium with a glass front and repti-carpet for substrate. The lower part is a tub heated with a UTH. Newspaper for substrate. I recently bought a radiant heat panel for the terrarium because the ambient temp dips slightly below 75 degrees in the Spring and Fall and I want to encourage him to use the terrarium more.

The point of sharing all that was to say that you'll have to try different things to see what works for you. This site has a good care guide if you haven't consulted it yet.
    You probably know this but the best way to get it using the upper terrarium is to add some branches for it to explore and climb .

Royals absolutely love climbing in the evenings, folks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Homebody (11-12-2021)

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223 LastLast