Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 147

2 members and 145 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.


» Today's Birthdays

bhsurf4 (49)
Gloveater (39)
Cbstuckl (28)

» Stats

Members: 70,389
Threads: 244,526
Posts: 2,535,298
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, lovelyethereal
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 206
  1. #161
    Registered User Snagrio's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-11-2020
    Posts
    208
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 150 Times in 81 Posts

    Re: (Semi) newbie here with many, MANY questions!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    These hides you're referring to, are these the open-at-both-end tree bark tunnels? If so, fyi, they're nice cage "furniture" but are lacking when it comes to being "hides", as they're too "open" for a snake (like a BP, especially) to really feel secure. Also, you should provide at least 2 equal hides for all snakes, one in the cool (unheated) area, & one over or under the heat -depending on what kind(s) of heat you're running. Snakes are most happy when their hides are more like these: https://www.reptilebasics.com/hide-boxes With only one "door" that's just big enough for them to fit thru with a meal "on board", & not too tall* either. A snake such as a BP may feel too exposed if their "hides" are lacking adequate security, so you might want to "remodel" when you get a chance. *Snakes like their hides to feel like a secure cave with "back pressure" so they know nothing can sneak up on them.
    They are the "bark tunnel" types, but with both of them one end is wedged tightly against the side of the glass, and the tank itself has the three non-front facing panels covered with black foam board on the outside, so there is only one entrance and it's pitch black inside.

    I do already plan to get better ones next year though. His whole enclosure is effectively going to be overhauled when I upgrade from the retrofitted fish tank to an AP enclosure that's actually built with snakes in mind.

  2. #162
    BPnet Senior Member Mr. Misha's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-16-2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,811
    Thanks
    480
    Thanked 858 Times in 630 Posts
    Images: 8

    Re: (Semi) newbie here with many, MANY questions!

    He's looking great! Nice job!

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

  3. #163
    Registered User Snagrio's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-11-2020
    Posts
    208
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 150 Times in 81 Posts
    First update in a while. Did have a few family members over for Christmas and it was the first time my nieces and nephews got to really meet Zebes (last time they were here he was in deep blue so I only took him out very briefly). Took him out once a day so he wouldn't get stressed out, and he did wonderfully; never got frightened and the kids loved him, the nieces in particular curiously. It was a great educational time too, while we held him I would tell them as much snake knowledge as my brain could process and they held on to every word. Always warms my heart to share with younger generations the less appreciated of our natural world.

    As for Zebes himself, he's growing steadily but surely. Weighed him yesterday at 271 grams and just measured him now (well, attempted to anyway ) and he's pretty much 2 feet long. And today I've finally managed to find small frozen rats (for the life of me I couldn't find any in my regular haunts lately but got lucky this time). Grabbed a couple more mice just in case too, but now what? Should I try to offer one straight out next feeding time to see what happens or should I play it safe and try mixing scents via thawing a mouse and rat together?

    Some fresh pics too.

    (Yes he willingly crawled onto my hand of his own accord ).
    Last edited by Snagrio; 01-11-2021 at 07:04 PM.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (01-21-2021)

  5. #164
    BPnet Royalty Zincubus's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-22-2011
    Posts
    6,448
    Thanks
    2,367
    Thanked 4,351 Times in 2,707 Posts

    Re: (Semi) newbie here with many, MANY questions!

    Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    First update in a while. Did have a few family members over for Christmas and it was the first time my nieces and nephews got to really meet Zebes (last time they were here he was in deep blue so I only took him out very briefly). Took him out once a day so he wouldn't get stressed out, and he did wonderfully; never got frightened and the kids loved him, the nieces in particular curiously. It was a great educational time too, while we held him I would tell them as much snake knowledge as my brain could process and they held on to every word. Always warms my heart to share with younger generations the less appreciated of our natural world.

    As for Zebes himself, he's growing steadily but surely. Weighed him yesterday at 271 grams and just measured him now (well, attempted to anyway ) and he's pretty much 2 feet long. And today I've finally managed to find small frozen rats (for the life of me I couldn't find any in my regular haunts lately but got lucky this time). Grabbed a couple more mice just in case too, but now what? Should I try to offer one straight out next feeding time to see what happens or should I play it safe and try mixing scents via thawing a mouse and rat together?

    Some fresh pics too.

    (Yes he willingly crawled onto my hand of his own accord ).
    Fabulous !!

    If it was me Iíd probably thaw the mice / rats together at least the first time ..even I notice the difference in smell between the two so Iím damn sure they will

    Try the hairdryer method as well ... at least for the first time .. Iíll send it to you by PM now .

    Good luck !


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro




  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (01-21-2021)

  7. #165
    Registered User Snagrio's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-11-2020
    Posts
    208
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 150 Times in 81 Posts

    Re: (Semi) newbie here with many, MANY questions!

    Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Fabulous !!

    If it was me Iíd probably thaw the mice / rats together at least the first time ..even I notice the difference in smell between the two so Iím damn sure they will

    Try the hairdryer method as well ... at least for the first time .. Iíll send it to you by PM now .

    Good luck !


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I've always used the hairdryer method after thawing, but thanks regardless.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

    Zincubus (01-13-2021)

  9. #166
    Registered User Snagrio's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-11-2020
    Posts
    208
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 150 Times in 81 Posts
    Well, a couple things.

    First Zebes had his second shed and once again it went perfectly. The humid hide is an absolute lifesaver because with the dry indoor heated air due to winter it's become impossible to keep the ambient humidity even halfway at the recommended levels no matter what techniques I attempt. But he's been perfectly healthy regardless and always has access to more moisture so things should be okay until I upgrade his digs in the future. He used the humid hide for a week straight (yet still ate interestingly) and just had his shed sometime this morning. Wish the skins didn't keep getting all crumpled though.

    Secondly, I was getting a rat ready for his first try but noticed the ones I bought (2 in a box so I didn't actually see them up till now) are twice the size of the mice he's been feeding on. I did a weighing and they are WAY too big for him. The mice are 20 grams, the rats are 50. Zebes himself is 262 grams (weighed today) which, going by the feeding chart that's oft posted here, is several months off as he needs to put on another 250-300 grams before taking on rodents of that size.

    So, once again, I have to go searching around for a store that sells frozen rats at pup/weaned sizes. For whatever reason my regular haunts never carry them in any sizes smaller. Oy vey...

    That aside though, here he is after the fresh shed.

    Last edited by Snagrio; 01-21-2021 at 05:53 PM.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (01-21-2021)

  11. #167
    Registered User Snagrio's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-11-2020
    Posts
    208
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 150 Times in 81 Posts
    Ho dear... I'm almost at my wit's end trying to find a place that sells frozen rats at an appropriate size. All the regular big box places don't carry anything below 50 grams and I called the closest specialist reptile shop (a 40+ minute drive mind you) and they only carry live rodents that I'd have to kill/freeze myself which idk how to do humanely. And ordering online wouldn't be a viable option considering the big extra shipping cost which wouldn't be close to worth it for one snake.

    So, I'm about at a loss as to what to do. The worst case scenario I keep feeding him mice until he gets large enough to tackle the small rats available to me, but idk if that would be too late for him to switch over considering how notorious it is with BPs and switching meal species.

  12. #168
    Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,576
    Thanks
    19,096
    Thanked 11,433 Times in 7,245 Posts

    Re: (Semi) newbie here with many, MANY questions!

    Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    Ho dear... I'm almost at my wit's end trying to find a place that sells frozen rats at an appropriate size. All the regular big box places don't carry anything below 50 grams and I called the closest specialist reptile shop (a 40+ minute drive mind you) and they only carry live rodents that I'd have to kill/freeze myself which idk how to do humanely. And ordering online wouldn't be a viable option considering the big extra shipping cost which wouldn't be close to worth it for one snake.

    So, I'm about at a loss as to what to do. The worst case scenario I keep feeding him mice until he gets large enough to tackle the small rats available to me, but idk if that would be too late for him to switch over considering how notorious it is with BPs and switching meal species.
    Are you SURE it wouldn't be worth it to buy frozen online & have shipped? Even for just one snake, you can buy at least a year's supply- they won't spoil as long as they stay frozen, & they keep even better if vacuum-sealed. Some sources sell them that way, but otherwise, you can do that yourself too, with a "seal-a-meal" device.

    Probably better than confusing him with mice, he might be hard to get back on rats. They're usually cheaper online, but even when you figure in the shipping (& gas & inconvenience of heading to the store all the time), I bet they come close to costing the same? And if you know anyone near you that keeps snakes, maybe you could split the order too?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-28-2021 at 06:18 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  13. #169
    BPnet Royalty Zincubus's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-22-2011
    Posts
    6,448
    Thanks
    2,367
    Thanked 4,351 Times in 2,707 Posts

    Re: (Semi) newbie here with many, MANY questions!

    For what itís worth some people ( a minority) actually feed a varied diet arguing they are replicating the risk wild ..

    I know of one guy who feeds a random diet of all manner of thawed rodents plus thawed chicks ... even mixing up the sizes .


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro




  14. #170
    Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,576
    Thanks
    19,096
    Thanked 11,433 Times in 7,245 Posts

    Re: (Semi) newbie here with many, MANY questions!

    Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    For what itís worth some people ( a minority) actually feed a varied diet arguing they are replicating the risk wild ..

    I know of one guy who feeds a random diet of all manner of thawed rodents plus thawed chicks ... even mixing up the sizes .


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I've done that before with other snakes too, but BPs can be so picky... I agree that's more "natural" though.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1