Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,834

1 members and 2,833 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Hello, its been awhile again.

Its been a long time since I've posted. I know I'm not a pillar in the community here, but I do figure everyone does like to see happy and healthy herps.
    Rowan:
    https://i.imgur.com/yrsEgtG.png
    Rei:
    https://i.imgur.com/nh7SZks.jpeg
    Aspen:
    https://i.imgur.com/Cf1BLkY.png
    Mosaic:
    https://i.imgur.com/rwWb0Y9.png

I just recently got out of a nearly year long stint of personal/mental problems. During this time I had also neglected to completely care for my snakes, even changing water was a chore, feeding was sporadic, I never let them starve, but I definitely didn't feed as often as I should have so as a result Rowan is behind on growth for a boa of her age, and the others kinda stalled out.

The snake room was a disaster, the cages needed cleaning, temps adjusting and my apartment in general was a mess all the time. Kaz too was slightly neglected, I never cleaned his box and instead of monitoring his daily food intake I free-fed him. He was overdue for shots and overweight.Just within the last couple months or so I started to really come out of it, the game changer was that I decided to adopt a new kitten.
    Meet Samson:
    https://i.imgur.com/JVCkMFl.png

Now I know I was irresponsible, adopting a new animal when I couldn't even find the inspiration to care for my current pets, but getting this new bundle of life and energy is what drove me to improve my living situation. He gave me inspiration to improve and provide a life not only he deserved, but I deserved and what my resident animals deserved. He is my little bundle of joy and love, being a ginger tom he is so damn affectionate. I knew I couldn't continue to be neglectful when his love was unconditional.

I cleaned up my apartment, and now I keep it clean by tidying up daily and doing about an hour of chores twice a week, I keep the kitchen clean and the dishes done, the snakes are fed on schedule and their water is changed frequently. I keep their cages clean, I look for and remove poop on the daily if needed. Temps and humidity are monitored and maintained. I spent a day cleaning and readjusting the temps on everyone's cages. Everyone is now at perfect temperatures, well fed and watered.
    I have also ordered Aspen and Rowan's cages from APCages, and they will be here in October, just in time for winter, I can't afford another winter of heating an entire room to keep tubs warm.

Both cats have gone to the vet, at decent expense from me. Shots caught up, Samson scheduled for a neuter and both cats confirmed healthy. My older cat was about 4lbs overweight for his size, both cats are on now a strict feeding schedule and I no longer free-feed, Kaz has since lost about a pound and he is definitely more active chasing this new kitten around. I also make sure to provide lots of enrichment for them and I'm in the process of building a massive cat tree/gym for them to enjoy. I also have started feeding raw-meat supplements with their food to try to improve their diet and water content.

I'm not proud of that time, and I definitely didn't deserve my animals. But I can gladly say I'm in a much better place now mentally and everyone is happy and healthy.
    I just wanted to share my story today. I probably will lurk and be more active now.
    0.1 Bumblebee Ball Python(Rei)
    0.1 Coastal Carpet Python(Mosaic)
    1.0 B.E.L Ball Python(Aspen)
    0.1 Hypo Aztec Jungle BCI(Rowan)

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ClarinetPhoenix For This Useful Post:

Archimedes (08-12-2020),ballpythonluvr (08-27-2020),Bogertophis (08-12-2020),EL-Ziggy (08-12-2020),GoingPostal (08-12-2020),L.West (08-28-2020),Reinz (09-03-2020),Zincubus (08-27-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Welcome back, I hope that your life continues to improve- you aren't the first person to struggle with such issues, nor will you be the last. I'm truly glad that you realized
    in time that things had to change...this year has been especially hard on most everyone anyway. You're among friends...
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ClarinetPhoenix (08-12-2020),dakski (08-12-2020),Spicey (08-27-2020)

Thanks

Re: Hello, its been awhile again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Welcome back, I hope that your life continues to improve- you aren't the first person to struggle with such issues, nor will you be the last. I'm truly glad that you realized
    in time that things had to change...this year has been especially hard on most everyone anyway. You're among friends...
    Thank you.
    I had reached a point where my issues very nearly cost me something important to me, something that has been part of my life for the last 6 years. It was that moment I knew I had to turn things around.
    It's been quite a journey back to the light and I seriously don't recognize the person I was a few months ago.
    What tipped the scale for me on the snakes was my poor Rowan, I finally checked in with her one day and saw she was visibly dehydrated. It woke something in me.
    That day everyone got fresh water, I watched them all drink, and was feeling very guilty I had let it go so long and on the next "scheduled" feeding day they all got a meal.
    It made me happy to see them eat, and to remember the beautiful creatures I chose to be responsible for. They all bounced back magnificently.
    The next moment was a quiet evening on my computer. Samson was alot smaller but he came to lay in my lap and just fell asleep there, purring. That was the moment I realized that I couldn't provide the life he deserved if I kept going the way things were, that was the moment I knew I also needed to catch up with my older cat. Samson was never a means to ignore my current responsibilities, I actually got him as a companion for Kaz, but I saw how energetic and full of life Samson was, and Kaz, well, he was grumpy, non-energetic and clearly overweight. I knew if I didn't address his weight I would lose him sooner, so I became committed to his health, Samson's health and the care of my beautiful snakes.

In this time I've also realized that what I have in life, I am content and happy with. My two fur-babies and my beautiful snakes, and there is no shame in being content with just that.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ClarinetPhoenix For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (08-27-2020),Bogertophis (08-12-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ClarinetPhoenix View Post
    ...In this time I've also realized that what I have in life, I am content and happy with. My two fur-babies and my beautiful snakes, and there is no shame in being content with just that.
    None whatsoever. Happy are those who see that their glass is half-FULL, and not half-empty. Most of us chase after many things in life that may or may not make us happier.

Most people assume that being rich or famous would be a dream come true, but if you read up on people that have huge lottery winnings, in many cases their lives actually fell apart after what seemed to be such fantastic luck. "Fame" comes with no privacy, & wealth, well you can end up wondering if people really are your friends or just those that want something from you. If it's a special relationship that eludes you, I think that once you find contentment within yourself, you'll be in the right "place" to make it work.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 08-12-2020 at 07:21 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ClarinetPhoenix (08-13-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    Perhaps not quite as severe, but much of this year has seen me in a similar manner. Constantly in a bad mood (be it anger or depression) and just generally upset about the state of the world, and my own animals suffered for it (a green-cheeked conure, 6 chickens and 11 fish) as I was too out of it much of the time to give them the care and time they deserved. Then one night I had an extreme panic attack, the worst I had ever felt in my life.

That was the turning point for me where I knew I had to focus less on the outside and focus within, and what was immediately around me. I started to improve my sleep pattern, and took more proper care of my pets. Letting the chickens out more and eradicating a mite infestation (it was sadly already too late for one hen during my negligence period), spending bonding time with my bird, feeding the fish myself instead of my folks always doing it, and being much more proactive with keeping everything clean and keeping up with household chores, as well as interacting more with family to show my support for them during these times.

After a month of this change in behavior I knew it was time to welcome a new creature into my life. He's not here yet (a 2 month-old male banana BP that needs to shed before he makes the journey per my request to the breeder), but I've felt better during this time than I have the entire year, and am ready to tackle what challenges lie ahead.

All this to say, you are not alone in overcoming struggles, that there are others who have gone through similar issues but have woken up and realized what's most important in life. Never forget that. There is always a light at the end of the tunnel, we just need to keep our eyes open and never stop moving towards it.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (08-27-2020),Bogertophis (08-27-2020)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I'm glad you are feeling better. Have you seen a therapist or are you planning to? Unfortunately, depression affects so many people, including those who are not even aware that they have it. It can come in waves... You have your good days, and then not so good days. It is never a bad thing to seek help, and never too late to do so. Some health insurance covers mental health too.

Here are some tips I hope will help you out, and perhaps help you not overwhelm yourself too much when you have multiple animals:

Cats: your kitten will need his scheduled distemper combo shots, rabies shot and no more. If you keep your kitties indoors, rabies shots can protect them for most of their lifetime but most states require it annually, so check with your state law. The adults don't need yearly shots other than the rabies if they had their distemper shots. Other vaccines may not even be necessary if they are indoor cats.

Feed in the morning when you wake up and then again in the evening. 5-6 ounces of wet food for adult cats at 10 lbs, and feed your kitten 3-4 times a day as much as it will eat. There are times feeders available for purchase, but most are for dry food. If you are interested, look around there should be an auto feeder for canned food. Adding some water and mixing it with little kibble helps them feel full and it's slightly cheaper than feeding 100% wet.

Have a schedule for cleaning but not all on the same day. For example, I check on 3 of my snakes on Wednesday and the others on Thursday. Any spot cleaning that I previously missed, fresh water/clean bowl, etc. And for my other pets, their stuff is done on Saturday, etc.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (08-27-2020),Bogertophis (08-27-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Sounds like the good times are coming back for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    I think pets are a great antidote to all that may be going wrong in the world around us, because they help us focus on things that we CAN control, rather than on what we
    cannot. Everyone...please hang in there...it really is about your focus on what's important...be good to yourself & those around you, whether animal or human, & if you need help, ask...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 08-27-2020 at 06:55 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesenugget View Post
    I'm glad you are feeling better. Have you seen a therapist or are you planning to? Unfortunately, depression affects so many people, including those who are not even aware that they have it. It can come in waves... You have your good days, and then not so good days. It is never a bad thing to seek help, and never too late to do so. Some health insurance covers mental health too.

Here are some tips I hope will help you out, and perhaps help you not overwhelm yourself too much when you have multiple animals:

Cats: your kitten will need his scheduled distemper combo shots, rabies shot and no more. If you keep your kitties indoors, rabies shots can protect them for most of their lifetime but most states require it annually, so check with your state law. The adults don't need yearly shots other than the rabies if they had their distemper shots. Other vaccines may not even be necessary if they are indoor cats.

Feed in the morning when you wake up and then again in the evening. 5-6 ounces of wet food for adult cats at 10 lbs, and feed your kitten 3-4 times a day as much as it will eat. There are times feeders available for purchase, but most are for dry food. If you are interested, look around there should be an auto feeder for canned food. Adding some water and mixing it with little kibble helps them feel full and it's slightly cheaper than feeding 100% wet.

Have a schedule for cleaning but not all on the same day. For example, I check on 3 of my snakes on Wednesday and the others on Thursday. Any spot cleaning that I previously missed, fresh water/clean bowl, etc. And for my other pets, their stuff is done on Saturday, etc.
    I did try therapy, once. I'm just very much an introvert so group sessions freak me out, and I can't really afford any one on ones.
    I don't really need therapy, I usually just need a sounding board, someone I can always talk to, who doesn't judge me for the way I feel or the things I go through. I do have such a friend. We've been friends for about 4 years now and nothing will break that bond.
    I've also started keeping edibles in the house. I've been experimenting and I find when I have days that are simply overwhelming that the edibles just help me shut down and get through it. My biggest downfall is when I can't get out of my head, can't get away from destructive thoughts that I know are destructive, but nothing I try works to shut them out. I used to listen and suffer the torment of such thoughts for days at a time. Now I can cope much better, I am slowly regaining my mindfulness and I'm able to feel, let go, and examine my thoughts and emotions again, and only keep the ones that are constructive and talking myself away from the destructive ones. I still have challenging days, if a walk doesn't help, for those then I have the edibles.

I do have a schedule I am starting to get into.
    I get up before dawn most mornings, before I get my coffee I go for a morning walk. I find this to be extremely energizing and helps jumpstart my day with feel-good energies. When I get back I'll make my coffee and start my day. My cats get breakfast around 9am, at this time I also change the water and scoop the boxes. I check in on the snakes in the morning and usually change their water at this time. The cats are fed again at night when I'm home from work. Samson gets an afternoon meal because he's a growing boy and needs the extra calories.

I don't usually do a lot of daily cleaning unless something is messy, I tend to do the weekly cleaning on Mondays and Fridays, the kitchen is cleaned as I go.
    Things are getting better, it has been a rough year and I spent a lot of it buying into other peoples drama in addition to dealing with my own. I am just tired of the bull:cens0r::cens0r::cens0r::cens0r: and I'm focusing on me and what I want to do and what makes me happy.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Welcome back. Hopefully that rough year is behind you. Glad are doing better with the help of Sampson.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.