Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,016

2 members and 3,014 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Problem feeder adult ball python

I have an adult male mocha that i purchased in November. We started keeping detailed records right before Christmas. When i purchased him he weighed 1083. Problem is that he has refused to eat since December. we feed mainly live but, i tried live, fresh killed, f/t, pinkies,weaned, pups, small, asf pinkies, fuzzies, hoppers, etc. He dropped down to 975. Four force feeds, he started looking better. Recently found out that he likes mice! Should i feed him hoppers 2 - 3 times a week? Still won't touch rats or asfs.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Re: Problem feeder adult ball python

Quote Originally Posted by Pslaght View Post
    I have an adult male mocha that i purchased in November. We started keeping detailed records right before Christmas. When i purchased him he weighed 1083. Problem is that he has refused to eat since December. we feed mainly live but, i tried live, fresh killed, f/t, pinkies,weaned, pups, small, asf pinkies, fuzzies, hoppers, etc. He dropped down to 975. Four force feeds, he started looking better. Recently found out that he likes mice! Should i feed him hoppers 2 - 3 times a week? Still won't touch rats or asfs.
    It’s good he likes mice .. but aren’t hoppers a little small for an adult Royal ?

Why not feed larger mice ... and try the hairdryer method .. evenings in dim light, feed when he’s secure under his hide then blast the mouse and dangle in front of the entrance whilst it’s still warm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-11-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    A) hoppers are WAY too small

B) you don't force/assist feed adult snakes, they already know how to eat. Honestly that was probably a setback and will make things harder moving forward.

C) adults often take a while to get back to eating after changing homes.

D) you want to be consistent in your offerings. Your best bet is to find out what the snake was eating prior to coming to you. Feed exactly the same. You may even want to mimic the previous setup as identical as you can.

The weight loss isn't extreme. Just be patient. A snake that knows how to eat will not starve itself to death.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (08-11-2020),GoingPostal (08-11-2020)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    If he is turning down 40g+ ASF, he's not hungry. ASF have broken the most stubborn BP feeders.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...=feeding+guide

Good luck!

Thanks
    He turns down anything except hopper mice. I know they aren't too nutritious for him, that's why i am asking if it's okay to feed him 2-3 times a week.

Thanks

I know that force feeding is a last resort. We try to treat our animals like pets first and foremost. I will force feed before i let them starve. The question i have is if it's okay to feed him more often since he only likes hopper mice. He won't eat an adult mouse, pinkie rat, asf pinkie, asf fuzzie, asf hopper, or anything else for that matter. But he will pound a hopper mouse a couple times a week.

Thanks

He turns down everything except for hopper mice. Question is it is okay to feed him more often.

Thanks

I know that force feeding is a last resort however, our ball pythons are pets first and foremost. I will not let them starve away without trying everything in my power to help them. We have tried everything and now found what he likes. Question is if it's okay to feed him more often than once a week as long as he pounds them.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    You'd need to feed at least 10-12 hoppers each week. Yes, you can feed multiple days. Getting a BP to eat 10-12 prey items is going to prove challenging though.

An adult snake that knows how to eat WILL NOT STARVE itself to death. He will eat when he's ready.

Wait at least two weeks between offering, offer appropriately sized prey, and the snake will eat when he's ready.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

christineho (08-11-2020)