Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,979

2 members and 2,977 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Seeking Input for Presentation on 'Why Snakes make the Best Pets'

Hey there...This is going to sound like an odd request but I have a final interview in the next couple days where I'm expected to give a 15- 20 minute presentation (topic of my choice) where I'm basically taking a side and trying to get others on board. I was told past participants gave presentations on 'paperclips' and 'road rage' rather then 'work related' topics.

The path I'm heading down is presenting 'why I think snakes are the best pets'. I don't necessarily subscribe to this statement but I think I can make it interesting and I'm willing to bet the whole audience will hold the exact opposite viewpoint as me (but that's why I think this might be a good topic). I just need some help to back it up.

I've written a bunch of fluff to help make it interesting but the main points to support my argument are the following:

1. Hit on the 'designer snake' and genetics side (over 4000 different morphs) while showing pictures
    2. Compare 'common pets' such as dogs/cats to snakes and why I feel snakes are better suited pets.

- My kids have been bitten or snapped at by several dogs & cats but never our snakes
    - Vacation: Dogs need a sitter or boarding while snakes can survive for week(s) w. just clean water
    - Feeding: Snakes can eat once a month at a lower cost then a cat or dog who eats twice a day
    - Shedding: Dogs/Cats shed every day shedding which can dirty the house
    - Snakes are unique conversation pieces where opportunities exist to teach younger kids before they develop bad stereotypes

- Cuddling: yes, you can't cuddle a snake or receive affection but you can't do this w/ a pet fish either which is considered a 'popular pet'

- Mortality rate: can last up to 20-30 years while common pets can last months or a few years.

Here's the kicker which I'm struggling with and need some creative suggestions.

I'm supposed to address 'Why we should care about it' and 'Call to action – what should we do with / based on the information you have provided us'

Why should we care about it?

Low maintenance option pet where it doesn't feel like a huge commitment you would make w/ other pets (i.e. dogs)
    Space needed is minimal
    Ball pythons are completely harmless contrary to popular belief
    Can turn addictive if you are intrigued by the genetics involved and the 1000s of morphs

Call to Action

Ask people to keep an open mind (as kids do before they absorb all the false stereotypes).

Any and all input is welcome and thank you! Also, to be clear, a lot of my statements made are for this interview only and I wouldn't make the same to someone who is actually considering buying a snake.
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

dakski (08-08-2020),EL-Ziggy (08-08-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    Snakes don't have dander so people with allergies to cats or dogs can keep them as pets.

Snakes are quiet so they are good for owners who live in apartments or townhouses, where the neighbors don't appreciate hearing a dog barking or cat crying all day/night.

Many pet snake species remain small so their enclosures don't need a lot of space.

Snakes are low-maintenance on a daily care basis.

Tongue in cheek...
    Your in-laws may stop visiting after they learn you keep snakes, so you never have to host another holiday family gathering.
    If you take your pet snake out shopping with you, other shoppers will readily observe "social distancing".

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-08-2020),christineho (08-10-2020),ckuhn003 (08-08-2020),dakski (08-08-2020),EL-Ziggy (08-08-2020),jmcrook (08-08-2020),richardhind1972 (08-08-2020),Toad37 (08-08-2020)

Thanks

Re: Seeking Input for Presentation on 'Why Snakes make the Best Pets'

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Tongue in cheek...
    Your in-laws may stop visiting after they learn you keep snakes, so you never have to host another holiday family gathering.
    If you take your pet snake out shopping with you, other shoppers will readily observe "social distancing".
    This is classic and a great way to wrap up the presentation! Speaking of in-laws, my mother (as soon as she found out I was getting a snake) said she would never babysit the kids nor stay over anymore. That lasted all about a a week although she still won't step foot in the basement because of the 'man eating snakes' that are locked up in cages

Thanks again for the great additions!!
    Last edited by ckuhn003; 08-08-2020 at 04:09 PM.

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

dakski (08-08-2020),richardhind1972 (08-08-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,489 Times in 2,686 Posts

You've already touched on most of the reasons I keep snakes. Here are my top five.
    1. They're beautiful / amazing animals that have adapted and survived for millennia.
    2. They're easy to care for and relatively inexpensive to maintain.
    3. They're more intriguing than most other pets and are always a topic of conversation. People are either fearful or fascinated by them. Very few animals have the mystique of a snake.
    4. They have a calming and soothing effect for many people. I often say keeping snakes is like bonsai to me. It's one of my favorite zen spaces.
    5. The reptile community is filled with many wonderful people from diverse backgrounds all across the globe.

Best wishes in your interview brother!
    Last edited by EL-Ziggy; 08-08-2020 at 06:35 PM.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-08-2020),ckuhn003 (08-08-2020),dakski (08-08-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

I like what's been said here, and sorry for the late response, we just got internet back after losing it again because of the storm.

I would emphasize that:

-you cannot be allergic to reptiles

-they don't smell

-they take up little space

-they can left alone for periods when you go away

-They are incredible fascinating and beautiful

-They teach responsibility to children - in terms of care - feeding, heat, humidity, etc. as well learning to respect animals, etc.

-WOW Factor - many people are incredibly fascinated by them and you can teach them through your pets. You can also reverse stigmas. Many of which are totally off base.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (08-08-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    You've already touched on most of the reasons I keep snakes. Here are my top five.
    1. They're beautiful / amazing animals that have adapted and survived for millennia.
    2. They're easy to care for and relatively inexpensive to maintain.
    3. They're more intriguing than most other pets and are always a topic of conversation. People are either fearful or fascinated by them. Very few animals have the mystique of a snake.
    4. They have a calming and soothing effect for many people. I often say keeping snakes is like bonsai to me. It's one of my favorite zen spaces.
    5. The reptile community is filled with many wonderful people from diverse backgrounds all across the globe.

Best wishes in your interview brother!
    Thank you Sir! I especially like #4 and #5. In fact, I was hanging out w/ my Boa tonight just watching his every movement and noticing how calm he is was which in turn was very relaxing. This reptile community has been great in so many ways!!

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post

-They teach responsibility to children - in terms of care - feeding, heat, humidity, etc. as well learning to respect animals, etc.

-WOW Factor - many people are incredibly fascinated by them and you can teach them through your pets. You can also reverse stigmas. Many of which are totally off base.
    Both of these are especially great that I’ll build off of. My young ones, through teaching and hands on experience, have already shown respect and knowledge on what it takes to care for these creatures. The normal fear factor has been lifted.

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

dakski (08-08-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Snakes set good examples for other pets...I'm STILL trying to get my dogs to shed in one piece!
    And letting people know that I have mousicles & ratsicles in the freezer gets me out of cooking for "pot-lucks" every time...

Besides all that, it's good for your brain to think outside the box, learning to understand & develop empathy for creatures so different from ourselves...

Few creatures in the animal kingdom are exposed to such hatred, fear, misunderstanding & horrible treatment, all while being SO beneficial as predators of rodents- also
    "eco-friendly" & non-toxic! -it's truly awful to use poison to kill rodents...it ends up killing other creatures, including us when it gets in our ground water eventually.

In the words of Chief Dan George:
    "If you talk to the animals they will talk to you, and you will know each other.
    If you do not talk to them, you will not know them, and what you do not know you will fear, and what one fears, one destroys."

Oh, and snakes do the BEST yawns!
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 08-09-2020 at 12:16 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (08-09-2020),Spicey (08-10-2020)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    Hey there...This is going to sound like an odd request but I have a final interview in the next couple days where I'm expected to give a 15- 20 minute presentation (topic of my choice) where I'm basically taking a side and trying to get others on board. I was told past participants gave presentations on 'paperclips' and 'road rage' rather then 'work related' topics.

The path I'm heading down is presenting 'why I think snakes are the best pets'. I don't necessarily subscribe to this statement but I think I can make it interesting and I'm willing to bet the whole audience will hold the exact opposite viewpoint as me (but that's why I think this might be a good topic). I just need some help to back it up.

I've written a bunch of fluff to help make it interesting but the main points to support my argument are the following:

1. Hit on the 'designer snake' and genetics side (over 4000 different morphs) while showing pictures
    2. Compare 'common pets' such as dogs/cats to snakes and why I feel snakes are better suited pets.

- My kids have been bitten or snapped at by several dogs & cats but never our snakes
    - Vacation: Dogs need a sitter or boarding while snakes can survive for week(s) w. just clean water
    - Feeding: Snakes can eat once a month at a lower cost then a cat or dog who eats twice a day
    - Shedding: Dogs/Cats shed every day shedding which can dirty the house
    - Snakes are unique conversation pieces where opportunities exist to teach younger kids before they develop bad stereotypes

- Cuddling: yes, you can't cuddle a snake or receive affection but you can't do this w/ a pet fish either which is considered a 'popular pet'

- Mortality rate: can last up to 20-30 years while common pets can last months or a few years.

Here's the kicker which I'm struggling with and need some creative suggestions.

I'm supposed to address 'Why we should care about it' and 'Call to action – what should we do with / based on the information you have provided us'

Why should we care about it?

Low maintenance option pet where it doesn't feel like a huge commitment you would make w/ other pets (i.e. dogs)
    Space needed is minimal
    Ball pythons are completely harmless contrary to popular belief
    Can turn addictive if you are intrigued by the genetics involved and the 1000s of morphs

Call to Action

Ask people to keep an open mind (as kids do before they absorb all the false stereotypes).

Any and all input is welcome and thank you! Also, to be clear, a lot of my statements made are for this interview only and I wouldn't make the same to someone who is actually considering buying a snake.
    If you want more people on your side in any argument, the first step should be, "What can this THIS do for me?"

You have 6 seconds to grab your audience attention.

Yes, of course snakes make good pets for the RIGHT people. Compared to the domesticated counterparts, exotic pets can still be a challenge, especially when access to or finding an affordable properly experienced veterinarian is a huge obstacle for many people. The best pet for anyone is to be able to enjoy it, feed it, and care for it, which includes vet care. Many pet owners like the cuddles, that is why they lean towards cats and dogs in the first place.

For all the points you make about why snakes are better vs dogs and cats, as an owner of all 3 types, I can tell you 1. The pet hair comes with the territory but it is really not much a grievance for many owners. 2. A lot of dog owners, myself included, take their dogs with them on vacation. People are treating their pets more like family nowadays. 3. There will always be dog bites and car scratches, but just like snakes, you need to supervise and read your pet's behavior. There are usually red flags and signals before a bite or scratch, just the same as you watch for stress and fear signals from your snake.

So again, your best bet to get people on your side is, "What can snakes do for me?"

There are some research done on snake metabolism and diabetes. Or how the snake move can benefit science. How many rats can one adult snake eat per year, and point out how important this is and list what type of disease a rat can transmit to people. How is snake venom helping people?

Use statistics, numbers, make it clear why snakes matter to society.

Then, the second part to this would be pet keeping. Point out how people with allergies can still enjoy companionship. How more and more people are keeping reptiles due to busy work life and how that works for them. How some snakes can eat more than rats and mice, so a keeper can have options if they are not comfortable with rodent prey. Snakes are great pets for the RIGHT people, those who will do the research, the husbandry work, and understand what they are signing up for.

Good luck.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-10-2020),ckuhn003 (08-09-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesenugget View Post
    If you want more people on your side in any argument, the first step should be, "What can this THIS do for me?"

You have 6 seconds to grab your audience attention.

Yes, of course snakes make good pets for the RIGHT people. Compared to the domesticated counterparts, exotic pets can still be a challenge, especially when access to or finding an affordable properly experienced veterinarian is a huge obstacle for many people. The best pet for anyone is to be able to enjoy it, feed it, and care for it, which includes vet care. Many pet owners like the cuddles, that is why they lean towards cats and dogs in the first place.

For all the points you make about why snakes are better vs dogs and cats, as an owner of all 3 types, I can tell you 1. The pet hair comes with the territory but it is really not much a grievance for many owners. 2. A lot of dog owners, myself included, take their dogs with them on vacation. People are treating their pets more like family nowadays. 3. There will always be dog bites and car scratches, but just like snakes, you need to supervise and read your pet's behavior. There are usually red flags and signals before a bite or scratch, just the same as you watch for stress and fear signals from your snake.

So again, your best bet to get people on your side is, "What can snakes do for me?"

There are some research done on snake metabolism and diabetes. Or how the snake move can benefit science. How many rats can one adult snake eat per year, and point out how important this is and list what type of disease a rat can transmit to people. How is snake venom helping people?

Use statistics, numbers, make it clear why snakes matter to society.

Then, the second part to this would be pet keeping. Point out how people with allergies can still enjoy companionship. How more and more people are keeping reptiles due to busy work life and how that works for them. How some snakes can eat more than rats and mice, so a keeper can have options if they are not comfortable with rodent prey. Snakes are great pets for the RIGHT people, those who will do the research, the husbandry work, and understand what they are signing up for.

Good luck.
    You bring up an interesting approach that I'm definitely going to spend some time looking into. I know I'll be in the minority during this speech and I don't plan on winning anyone over. It's just the way it is when it comes to something as taboo as snakes but my hope is that I'll make it as fun and interesting as I can in hopes of pointing out some things that people haven't considered. Thanks again for your input. It's definitely provided a different way to approach this presentation.

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    You bring up an interesting approach that I'm definitely going to spend some time looking into. I know I'll be in the minority during this speech and I don't plan on winning anyone over. It's just the way it is when it comes to something as taboo as snakes but my hope is that I'll make it as fun and interesting as I can in hopes of pointing out some things that people haven't considered. Thanks again for your input. It's definitely provided a different way to approach this presentation.
    I bet you will win a few people over. Also, don't get in your head the snakes are taboo. YOU love snakes! Snakes rock! Convey that energy when you speak.

I am in finance and have to sell my ideas. I don't discuss ideas I don't believe in and wouldn't invest in myself. People see that and appreciate that. When you are passionate and believe in something it comes through.

Focus on the arguments you truly believe make snakes great pets and go for quality over quantity.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Last edited by dakski; 08-09-2020 at 10:16 PM.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-10-2020),ckuhn003 (08-09-2020),EL-Ziggy (08-10-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast