Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,509

2 members and 2,507 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Lightbulb Please help! I have no idea what I am doing.

I got my first ever ball python on July 5th. I had done extensive research and thought I was prepared, but I find that I am constantly worrying over him. My most recent concern has been some white scales. It almost seems as if the color has come off. Is this due to his environment being too dry?

I had him in a plastic tub before but just moved him to a glass tank because I wanted to be able to see him more plus it is more aesthetically pleasing. Before moving him to the tank, I had not noticed any issues with his scales.

Any advice would be much appreciated. He also has not shed yet, and it has been over a month. I am freaking out. I have never loved a small animal more than this snake and want to do right by him. I will post photos if I can figure out how.

Thanks

Thanks
    No fault in asking for help.

Give us a pic, and also info on temps, humidity, heat sources, hides, thermostats, etc...

It could be something as simple as the snake going into shed, or something more serious like a burn, scale rot, or mites.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to XpensiveWino For This Useful Post:

hredding (08-07-2020)

Thanks

Thanks

Re: Please help! I have no idea what I am doing.

I feel like an idiot, but I cannot figure out how to post photos in a thread. I did, however, get the photos posted in my images. Maybe they are visible from my profile?

Thanks

Tank has a cool side with one hide and water dish. Center has a cork bark hide. Warm side has one large hide. I recently added moist sphagnum moss throughout the cage to increase humidity. I use a UTH with thermostat in addition to a heat lamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Here are some photos of where I’m noticing some flaking scales and some white scales. I know it is hard to see with the lighting. You will see in both photos of his back that there are white patches near the moss on his back. I have run my finger over it and it does not move and feels dry. I do not believe it is mite eggs or something like that.

Thanks

Don’t worry; we’re always here to help and asking questions is part of the fun First off, congrats on your new baby! His enclosure looks great! Honestly, it just looks like a little dry skin to me. He’s likely due for a shed soon and if so, that will clear it up. What’s your humidity like?

Thanks

I had a feeling that’s what it was. I am just concerned that he missed a shed or something. His belly got really pink, but it went back to normal before anything ever happened.

Humidity is definitely a concern. I have done everything I can to bring it up, but the gauge I have stays between 40-50. I have heard that sometimes the gauge that I have can be inaccurate. If you have a suggestion for a better hygrometer, I would be grateful!

Thanks
    I use these from Amazon. $9 ea in a bundle or ten bucks each. Others might have their own suggestions, I have these in every tub I keep a snake in. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can vouch that they are tough, as one morning doing my morning checks on the tubs, I found it flipped over and submerged in the water bowl somehow. I can only imagine what that girl got into the night before. I took out the batteries, gave it a bit under the hair dryer, put the batteries back in and it has functioned fine ever since.

If you can't keep up the humidity try coconut husk. It's a spongelike quality when it comes to holding moisture. Is the top of your cage open air, or covered? If it's open try using press n seal on half of it to stifle air flow. That will also bring up humidity.

You'll get it all in line. As noted above that's a nice setup. Your ball will do well. You'll grow as he does.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to XpensiveWino For This Useful Post:

hredding (08-09-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast