Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 622

1 members and 621 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

How would you modify a log hide?

Hey all!
    I have a bioactive setup that my snake quite enjoys. I used cork logs on the background (permanently affixed) not realizing that one of them would be his preferred hide - he has two suitable hides on the floor of the enclosure as well...
    He fits into the log nicely right now and I hate to take his favorite spot away from him - but he's going to get bigger and I'm afraid he'll eventually get stuck in there...
    Would you cut the log to open it up or just stuff it with something? I'm leaning towards stuffing it, but not sure what to use... thoughts? Thanks for your input!

Thanks
    By stuffing it with something do you mean filling it up with something so he can't go inside? I would take it out and replace it with a different piece of furniture, unfortunately BPs are very good at getting themselves stuck in tight spaces without an open bottom. This video is a good example of what can happen: https://youtu.be/k9NClh7sz00?t=19

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-06-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I have to agree. I'd just get rid of it and get him something new. Snakes getting stuck in enclosure decor can be a real nightmare.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts

Re: How would you modify a log hide?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bledsoe View Post
    Hey all!
    I have a bioactive setup that my snake quite enjoys. I used cork logs on the background (permanently affixed) not realizing that one of them would be his preferred hide - he has two suitable hides on the floor of the enclosure as well...
    He fits into the log nicely right now and I hate to take his favorite spot away from him - but he's going to get bigger and I'm afraid he'll eventually get stuck in there...
    Would you cut the log to open it up or just stuff it with something? I'm leaning towards stuffing it, but not sure what to use... thoughts? Thanks for your input!
    It would help to SEE what you're talking about, do you mean a whole log with a cave in the center, or one of those half-logs made of tree bark (into which nothing can get stuck, but they don't offer much security either). You never want a snake getting stuck in decor, it may not end well, especially when it's not something you can tear away (like a cardboard tube).
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 08-06-2020 at 07:32 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    I have to agree. I'd just get rid of it and get him something new. Snakes getting stuck in enclosure decor can be a real nightmare.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    By stuffing it with something do you mean filling it up with something so he can't go inside? I would take it out and replace it with a different piece of furniture, unfortunately BPs are very good at getting themselves stuck in tight spaces without an open bottom. This video is a good example of what can happen: https://youtu.be/k9NClh7sz00?t=19
    Yeah those logs are permanently affixed with Great Stuff foam - removing them wouldn't be practical. I may need to just use the rest of my Great Stuff to seal up the logs. It would just mean putting the snake back in a tub for 3-5 days while it cures... thanks for your thoughts on this!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    It would help to SEE what you're talking about, do you mean a whole log with a cave in the center, or one of those half-logs made of tree bark (into which nothing can get stuck, but they don't offer much security either). You never want a snake getting stuck in decor, it may not end well, especially when it's not something you can tear away (like a cardboard tube).
    I think I'm just going to use foam to seal it up. For anyone curious though, here's where I've posted about this with photos:
    https://m.facebook.com/groups/971904...97990453665103